Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears

The Games for Windows LIVE Website announces Microsoft's online gaming service will begin offering digital distribution of games beginning December 15, which will "take full advantage of the unique capabilities offered by the LIVE service," which are not described. Here's a bit:

“With Games on Demand, we didn’t just want to create a cut-and-paste version of existing digital distribution services,” said Mike Ybarra, General Manager of LIVE Engagement Services. “We challenged ourselves to deliver an integrated platform that takes full advantage of the unique capabilities offered by the LIVE service. Our goal has always been to create a seamless online gaming experience for the Windows community, and Games on Demand is a great step toward that end.”

The launch lineup will include recent hits like Resident Evil 5 (Capcom), Red Faction: Guerilla (THQ), and Battlestations: Pacific (EIDOS), as well as new exclusive LIVE-enabled versions of popular digital games like World of Goo and Osmos, distributed by Microsoft Game Studios. All games can be purchased either by credit card or with Microsoft Points. Games on Demand for Windows will be available in markets that currently support the Games for Windows — LIVE service.

Microsoft is also offering an updated LIVE-enabled version of Tinker, formerly an exclusive Windows Vista Ultimate Extra, as a completely free download from the Games for Windows — LIVE client.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears Dec 5, 2009, 09:26 DG

I would welcome the introduction of a major player into online game distribution.

When MS gets truly enthusiastic and committed they generally pull it off. However imperfectly, they get the job done through sheer scale of resources and weight.

But Windows Live appears to be a triviality to MS, otherwise it would be impossible to miss the vast amounts of marketing they throw at everything that they are committed to.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears Dec 4, 2009, 08:44 Verno

The irony being that the Zune was a better mp3 player than the iPod. Great specs and usability ultimately hampered by DRM and restrictions more than anything else.

GfWL on the other hand is just a total piece of shit. I don't know how you port XBL to a PC and somehow lose everything that makes it good but Microsoft managed.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

12. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears Dec 4, 2009, 04:56 InBlack

Wow they really zuned in on this one....  

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears Dec 3, 2009, 23:53 Jerykk

Why support a PC gaming initiative from a company that does not care about PC gaming anymore? Who does that make sense to?

Microsoft. Maintaining GfWL is a lot cheaper than actually making PC games. I'm sure there are retards out there who will actually buy stuff from GfWL so it's a win-win situation for MS.

10. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears Dec 3, 2009, 23:12 Creston

What unique capabilities? Like : Slowing down your game by 50% just by being signed in? How about : causing a multitude of weird crashing bugs? Perhaps : requiring carnival money to buy products normally paid for in normal money?

I can't WAIT to buy more Microsoft Points! Oh wait, yes I can.

/ignore.

Edit : +1 for Zuning.

Creston

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2009, 23:12.

9. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears Dec 3, 2009, 21:20 Reactor

All I know is my offline Batman account can't be used to download the free dlc, and can't be turned into an online one.

GFWL can go the way of the dodo for all I care.

8. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears Dec 3, 2009, 20:44 StingingVelvet

It's funny that they have no launch title to celebrate this with... no Halo 3, Fable 2 or Gears of War 2 port... no new Windows game.

Why support a PC gaming initiative from a company that does not care about PC gaming anymore? Who does that make sense to?

Competition is nice, but we already have 4 main DD services with some other smaller ones, we don't need another monkey in the cage, especially one who treats you like crap.

7. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears Dec 3, 2009, 18:08 TurdFergasun

And they are WAY late to this game (not that that's ever stopped them before).

I think it's about time to coin a phrase to describe this phenomenon. I propose "zuning."

damn beat me to the punch, perhaps there needs to be an urban dictionary entrance here.

i wonder if we'll be able to play reversi with this new innovative system system?

6. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears Dec 3, 2009, 18:06 Prez

I think it's about time to coin a phrase to describe this phenomenon. I propose "zuning."

This is awesome. I approve. Let it be henceforth known that 'zuning' is officially a part of pop culture lexicon. Well done, Stephen!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears Dec 3, 2009, 17:44 RCH

I for one welcome our new overlords.

The more the merrier I say, I haven't purchased a title retail in quite some time.

Comedy is Tragedy + Time.

4. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears Dec 3, 2009, 17:36  Blue 

And they are WAY late to this game (not that that's ever stopped them before).

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

3. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears Dec 3, 2009, 17:33 J

Crap, is it 2012 already? Did I just skip 3 years?  

2. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears Dec 3, 2009, 17:32 SBlat

Well, one thing about Microsoft is I suppose they're likely to have some huge loss-leaders to draw people in. So maybe there will be some sort of deal worth putting up with the likely headaches of the service (especially if everything is "Live-enabled").

Or I suppose it's possible that the whole GfWL thing still doesn't have buy-in from the XBox guys and won't get the financial commitment to have any sort of loss-leading deals. There's probably still money in just being a "me too" DD site, hoping for people who just google a game looking for where to buy it and trust Microsoft. Maybe it will be running on Digital River in the background, just like all the other clone DD sites.

But since when are World of Goo and Osmos distributed by Microsoft Game Studios?

1. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Digital Distribution Nears Dec 3, 2009, 17:22 StreetPreacher

...takes full advantage of the unique capabilities offered by the LIVE service.
Well I hate to break it to them, but I don't think there's a single thing about that service that is unique. And they are WAY late to this game (not that that's ever stopped them before).

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo