Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Wants #1 FPS Spot

Kotaku has some statements from EA chief John Riccitiello about EA's ambitions of regaining the top spot in the first-person shooter market they feel Activision currently enjoys with the Call of Duty series. "I'm not saying it's going to happen tomorrow, but in the way that Activision sort of alternates sequels of Modern Warfare and Call of Duty and owns the leadership position in FPS [first-person-shooter], between Medal of Honor and Battlefield, I want it back," Riccitiello told them. "And we're going to get there with innovation and quality." He explains why, in a comment that suggest he actually plays these games:

I think the Infinity Ward guys are great. It's not about them being bad for us having to be great too. I'm a fan of a lot of our competitors' products. But if you've played Modern Warfare, and you've played the first one — and you've played the last Call of Duty — it's sort of starting to feel like they're making the same game again. And I personally think being able to control your vehicle as opposed to being able to ride on one [is good]. And I think there's something a little bit cool about taking a building out and getting the six guys in it. Personally, I get sort of a silly amount of pleasure out of it.

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

30. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 13:18 Kxmode

All hail the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil! Platform purity!

So you're saying all PC Gamers are Nazis? Yeah, FU too.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2009, 13:22.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 13:12 Verno

And he's saying they will do better. EA has changed some of their ways over the past two years and it's hurt them financially I might add.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

28. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 12:43 xXBatmanXx

He works for EA. IW works for Activision. And he speaks the truth. All the CoD games are basically the same. I really have no interest in MW2 because I've already played CoD, CoD2 and CoD4.

Bue "HE" works for EA. You know...the company that wash, rinse, repeats, every single game they make?

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

27. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 12:38 Jerykk

Did he just say CoD games are all the same? Does he remember what company he works for?

He works for EA. IW works for Activision. And he speaks the truth. All the CoD games are basically the same. I really have no interest in MW2 because I've already played CoD, CoD2 and CoD4.

26. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 12:32 xXBatmanXx

Did he just say CoD games are all the same? Does he remember what company he works for?  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

25. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 12:32 ^Drag0n^

Amen, brother. Amen.
^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

24. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 12:23 Prez

You know that you are no longer relevant as a gamer when you are just stunned into speechlessness at the realization that the market considers Modern Warfare as the definitive FPS...

I feel old.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2009, 12:48.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 12:13 Verno

I don't know, Call of Duty has some great ideas but a really limited presentation that focuses more on the cinematic aspects than gameplay. How could improving that be bad for you unless you just dislike the franchise period (in which case none of this is meant for you)?  

22. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 12:05 PHJF

In this case, EA wants to make a competitive product to Call of Duty. They have the funding to do so and quality isn't even a factor yet given that it's probably only in the beginning phases of development. That's good for the whole industry, the consumer as well.

I don't consider it good for me when a high-ranking figurehead looks at Call of Duty and says, "We need more of that."

Steam + PSN: PHJF

21. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 11:59 SlyBri

I have my issues with EA, but I don't want to see them fail. I hope Battlefield 3 is not a dumbed down consolized mess and kicks MW2 in the ass.

"Nice shot 'William Burroughs'! You hold a gun like a guy who plays Riven!"
-The Venture Bros.

20. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 11:11 NKD

Oh yeah the double tag team strikes again. So basically what you two are saying there is no "objective" quality in video games?? Or even art for that matter right?

So the only true way to show whether a game/movie/music/product is good or not is how it sells?

There are objective qualities, sure. Number of bugs, performance, and so on. But ultimately when it comes down to it, all that matters is whether the person who purchased it enjoys it. In music, for example, one guitarist can be objectively more skilled than another. But the less skilled person may have a style that appeals to more people. Are those people stupid for liking someone better who isn't as skilled? No. That's where the subjectivity comes in.

In games, sales are a good reflection of how much people are enjoying the title and telling their friends or website readers about it. If millions of people are enjoying a game, you cannot say objectively that it is a bad game. You can say you personally don't like it, which is obviously fine. That's how these things work.

A game having some bad objective qualities is merely an academic distinction if subjectively it is widely praised. Just because a game may be inferior to another from a technical standpoint, doesn't mean it's going to be inferior in terms of how many people can start the fucking thing up and enjoy it. In fact, some of the most panned games here on Blue's News are actually the ones that sell the best to the public at large.

There are objective qualities which can be compared to some degree, but as I said above it's just an academic exercise because all that matters is whether the game is enjoyable. And since different people like different things, the only measure of overall enjoyability is how well it sells. A great-selling game obviously appealed to a wide variety of gamers. A technically superior but poor selling game probably only appealed to a few. A business can't survive making the latter over and over.

You can trash EA or whoever else all you want, but at the end of the day millions of people will be enjoying their games, and some people will be fruitlessly bitching about it. Which of the two groups is better off? I think that's pretty clear.

EDIT: One more example I wanted to give. Let's take movies or television. Do you really sit down to your TV and go "Oh, this shows camera work is inferior, and those special effects were laughable. I'm going to overlook the fact that it's in a genre I enjoy, and has an actor I like." That's why you'll find movie critics are so often wrong. They are looking at the movie from a critical standpoint rather than a consumer standpoint. They are looking for flaws, the consumer is looking for entertainment. The critic sees the flaws first, the consumer sees the entertainment first.

If you're letting a few bugs, poor performance, regenerating health or the lack of a fucking lean button ruin an otherwise great game for you, that's your right, but you're doing yourself a big disservice.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2009, 11:28.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

19. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 11:07 Verno

Ok so in the last 200years Beethoven sold more than Black Eyed Peas, how many CD's did he sell this month compared to them??

Again, please stop trying to defend a horribly flawed "allegory". Beethoven wasn't a traditional commercial artist who made albums, they cannot even be compared in the first place.

Commercial success is obviously important, but only if you care about making money. It doesnt guarantee a fucking shred of quality.

Commercial success is important because money is what drives the industry. Quality is inherently subjective, we try to measure it by building a critical process around the various arts and entertainment industries but no one can ultimately determine quality for everyone.

If you wanted to make a decent example, you could have compared Crysis with Call of Duty. Crysis is arguably the better game in terms of gameplay variety, environmental involvement, graphics and so on. Crysis however will no doubt never sell as much as Call of Duty manages to do in an opening week, let alone lifetime sales. Which is the better game? The answer is that it doesn't matter.

In this case, EA wants to make a competitive product to Call of Duty. They have the funding to do so and quality isn't even a factor yet given that it's probably only in the beginning phases of development. That's good for the whole industry, the consumer as well.

18. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 11:07 Jackplug

MW2 isnt brilliant so it wont take much, all MW2 is is just hype and p2p on the pc is shite!  

17. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 11:05 Lorcin

The trouble is the only truly indie hit I can think of recently (Braid) was a console title before it was a PC one.  

16. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 11:03 PacoSon

You want top spot. As a gamer these days, I want coop play for the full game, anything less and you, meaning EA will never have top spot, ever.

PACO

15. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 11:03 LittleMe

Oh wait, thats those dirty console gaming peasants who are all genetically inferior. All hail the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil! Platform purity!

The only one expressing prejudice and intolerance towards people here is you. People here express prejudice and intolerance towards PC games with consolitis, which is very different.

And as I've said before, it's not a question of claiming to be the superior race, but that many PC gamers just don't want games to suffer from consolitis. It is rather plainly a plainly obvious that the console gamer crowd is younger, more casual and overall more technologically challenged. Likewise, the games on consoles reflect the different demographics of the platform.

We claim to have different demographics and want more control over our entire gaming environment. We do not claim to have superior genetics. Huge difference.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2009, 11:04.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

14. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 11:01 InBlack

Once again you are taking what I said out of context. Im not arguing about commercial success.

Did you even read my original post? Or do you just skip to the parts which you can attack?

Ok so in the last 200years Beethoven sold more than Black Eyed Peas, how many CD's did he sell this month compared to them??

Commercial success is obviously important, but only if you care about making money. It doesnt guarantee a fucking shred of quality.

I have a nifty blue line!

13. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 10:53 Verno

Oh yeah the double tag team strikes again. So basically what you two are saying there is no "objective" quality in video games?? Or even art for that matter right?

So the only true way to show whether a game/movie/music/product is good or not is how it sells?

No, I'm saying you're not a person to be making that argument given that you think The Black Eyed Peas are more popular than Beethoven because you think they sold more (hint they havent). You have no business speaking of such things when you're that wrong right out of the gate.

The only true way to measure a game's commercial success is by sales. Commercial success is the overriding factor in whether games get development funding in the current market. Do the math.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2009, 10:53.

12. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 10:50 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 10:47 Mick

What I find amusing is that everyone talks about how shitty everything EA makes is... yet they sell like crazy. Obviously somebody likes the games.

Oh wait, thats those dirty console gaming peasants who are all genetically inferior. All hail the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil! Platform purity!
Godwin's Law so early in the thread?

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo