Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Wants #1 FPS Spot

Kotaku has some statements from EA chief John Riccitiello about EA's ambitions of regaining the top spot in the first-person shooter market they feel Activision currently enjoys with the Call of Duty series. "I'm not saying it's going to happen tomorrow, but in the way that Activision sort of alternates sequels of Modern Warfare and Call of Duty and owns the leadership position in FPS [first-person-shooter], between Medal of Honor and Battlefield, I want it back," Riccitiello told them. "And we're going to get there with innovation and quality." He explains why, in a comment that suggest he actually plays these games:

I think the Infinity Ward guys are great. It's not about them being bad for us having to be great too. I'm a fan of a lot of our competitors' products. But if you've played Modern Warfare, and you've played the first one and you've played the last Call of Duty it's sort of starting to feel like they're making the same game again. And I personally think being able to control your vehicle as opposed to being able to ride on one [is good]. And I think there's something a little bit cool about taking a building out and getting the six guys in it. Personally, I get sort of a silly amount of pleasure out of it.

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

50. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 18:32 TurdFergasun

doom, unreal, quake, wolfenstein, avp, CS,hl.1-2, cod1&4, BF series, should pretty much cover the gamut, from the pure MP fps to the story driven.

but limited to one game i'd have to say half-life considering all the other games that it spawned in it's wake.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2009, 18:33.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 18:23 PHJF

OOO oooooo! I know this one!

Lemme think...

... is it ...

Halo!?!?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

48. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 17:52 XM-S

OK, poll time. Its easy to just say someone else is wrong. Let's talk about what's right.

What *is* the definitive FPS?

47. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 17:50 ForgedReality

I know what you are saying, however...while EA didn't develop TF2, they did publish the PC retail and console versions. A good portion of EA's business is publishing (as is Activision's), not just developing using in-house dev teams. It's not always so easy to define the line of what is an EA game and what isn't depending on perspective.

I realize they are 99% publisher, and 1% developer. But as publisher, they set release dates and put the pressure on their dev teams. If they cared a little more about the quality of the products they produced, they could have some real winners on their hands. Instead, the majority of their games end up being shit because they didn't give their dev teams the time or the freedom to create the world that they wanted to create.

What ends up happening is a huge hype rush toward release as they fucking over-advertise the shit out of their games, and so a lot of clueless dolts rush into buying. Then a month or so after release, nobody is playing the games anymore but they don't care, because they've got their millions and are moving onto the next scam. They hardly even continue supporting released games. You can't say that about Valve.

46. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 17:36 xXBatmanXx

Well said Fion.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

45. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 17:34 xXBatmanXx

Right now I'm thinking of quite a few games, including Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Brutal Legend, and a few others, that seem to have broken the "same game, every year" pattern. Yes, they have their yearly sports representations, but lately EA seems to be offering up at least some variety.

Where is that link that shows EA/BioWare games that all have the same plot line/story just different characters?

It was a link here not to long ago.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

44. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 17:30 ldonyo

Shouldn't EA be more concerned with stemming the flood of red ink from their books, first? If I were an EA shareholder, this would have me putting a sell order for every share I have and telling everyone I know to do the same.  

43. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 17:30 Krovven

EA needs to start giving a shit about their customer base before they can hope to compete with quality products like TF2.

I know what you are saying, however...while EA didn't develop TF2, they did publish the PC retail and console versions. A good portion of EA's business is publishing (as is Activision's), not just developing using in-house dev teams. It's not always so easy to define the line of what is an EA game and what isn't depending on perspective.

42. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 17:20 Wolfen

HAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH.  

41. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 16:27 Fion

You know that you are no longer relevant as a gamer when you are just stunned into speechlessness at the realization that the market considers Modern Warfare as the definitive FPS...

I feel old.

QF-Fuckin-T

To me, MW2 was shit and 1/10th the game as any one single decent FPS in the last 20 years. So I'm thinking that means I'm just getting old. But then again even my 17 year old nephew thinks the game is shit and not worth the hype. Now that I think about it, he thought the same of Halo 1/2/3, but then again he grew up gaming with me playing some of the real classic FPS games of this decade. So he knows better were as the masses of console kids who simply don't know anything beyond Halo and MW games, they simply don't know any better.

40. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 16:12 ForgedReality

They have a LOOOONG way to go if they want to beat out Valve and TF2. EA needs to start giving a shit about their customer base before they can hope to compete with quality products like TF2.  

39. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 16:09 NKD

So you're saying all PC Gamers are Nazis? Yeah, FU too.

It's a Zero Punctuation reference. In one review he referenced the "filthy console gaming peasants" and the "glorious PC gaming master race".

See here:
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7664/45617314zi1mu6copypp8.jpg

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2009, 16:14.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

38. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 15:58 Krovven

zero puncuation made it clear he didn't even try the MP side of the game, he tried co-op and SP which seems tragic in my opinion,

Yet you are calling it a "fantastic game" having only played multiplayer and 1 game of coop. Do you see the contradiction here? You are a hypocrite.

37. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 15:18 SirKnight

You know that you are no longer relevant as a gamer when you are just stunned into speechlessness at the realization that the market considers Modern Warfare as the definitive FPS...

I feel old.

I couldn't agree with you more. It's fukkin sad man.

36. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 15:16 SirKnight

What's odd is commercial success does not always mean it's a good/great product. I think it starts from the hype and marketing then continues with presenting shiny things. This gives the illusion that something is good when in fact the shiny aspect is just blinding you of the real product underneath. It can be easy to become carried away by outside appearance.

Take Call of Duty for example. MW2 had a huge budget for hype/marketing and presents you with cinematics that's like a big budget flashy movie (which I personally think has no place in a game). Yet the game play at its core is bland, boring and many steps backwards and only those who don't let them selves get blinded by the flash can see this. Just imagine for a second a game that has the exact game play as MW2 yet without the over-the-top cinematics and hype. It would be a pretty bland game and not sell well at all. There's been a number of low budget games that has the EXACT SAME GAME-PLAY FORMULA as CoD yet they are no where near the financial success even though it's mostly the same damn game. Many even have just as good of graphics or at least pretty close. It's not the game play that makes CoD a top selling brand. Not even close.

It's a shame that in the current world, there's less and less of a place for truly good games that's in the AAA realm. The only thing that can exist now are cookie cutter bland games with a lot of flash giving the APPEARANCE of something great. Welcome to the world of the same 'ol same 'ol. With the exception of the indie game devs, gaming is dead.

35. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 15:13 Tumbler

Multiplayer: More of the same, but less so. And their matchmaking system SUCKS. I consistently, and constantly, am placed in matches where I am the lowest level by at least 30 levels. My first game as a lvl 1 n00b the 2nd lowest level person was level 46. The next three matches I found had similar distribution..

The matchmaking has been fairly good for me, I'm on the 360 though, a good spread of players. Sometimes I get absolutely owned, other times I'm placing number 1. I'm a level 38 now and I get placed in games with plenty of lower level players. Considering there are 4 million plus players in the system according the the score rankings I'd say the match making is superb. (That was when I started playing a week ago now...so probably more today...

Co-op was fun the one time I tried it, haven't touched the SP game at this point. It should also be pointed out that zero puncuation made it clear he didn't even try the MP side of the game, he tried co-op and SP which seems tragic in my opinion, I love the online matches, all things considered the game plays incredibly well considering how many ppl are online playing it all the time.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

34. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 14:35 Flatline

Heh, these comments are likely as close as EA is going to get to the #1 FPS spot. I'm stumped why MW2 has hit a nerve with so many people on this site, it's a fantastic game.

Not really. Zero Punctuation's review of it really summed up all the problems I had.

Single Player: The story was a complete mess and lost all of the pacing that the first game had. Spawning enemies in behind me (and it happens I promise you) for a cheap kill was lambasted in Doom 3, but it's celebrated here. Sure. Whatever.

Multiplayer: More of the same, but less so. And their matchmaking system SUCKS. I consistently, and constantly, am placed in matches where I am the lowest level by at least 30 levels. My first game as a lvl 1 n00b the 2nd lowest level person was level 46. The next three matches I found had similar distribution.

Co-op: The only highlight of the game. Was genuine fun to play with a friend.

MW2 is more polish, less heart than the first one.

33. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 14:29 Flatline

Bue "HE" works for EA. You know...the company that wash, rinse, repeats, every single game they make?

Right now I'm thinking of quite a few games, including Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Brutal Legend, and a few others, that seem to have broken the "same game, every year" pattern. Yes, they have their yearly sports representations, but lately EA seems to be offering up at least some variety.

You'd think that seeing a game executive say "you know, all these games feel like they f*cking are the same long blur of an experience" and mean that in a negative way would be a ray of hope, but instead it gets snark. No wonder nobody takes the PC seriously as a gaming platform any more. The PC gamers pushed the market to the critical point, the devs just want to speed up the slow, painful death that was started.

32. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 14:13 ^Drag0n^

Actually, Jerykk, xXBatmanXx is right.

The original MoH:AA team were the same people that are now at IW making CoD. The IW guys (then 2015, Inc.) left EA in a mass exodus after the second or third MoH XP. That's why the gameplay mechanics are so similar between them. The genesis for both was in the same crew.

So yeah, it is ironic that EA is saying that they need more of something from a team they should have compensated and cultivated, rather than driven off to Activision ;-)

^D^

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2009, 14:24.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

31. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 13:57 Tumbler

Heh, these comments are likely as close as EA is going to get to the #1 FPS spot. I'm stumped why MW2 has hit a nerve with so many people on this site, it's a fantastic game.

Waiting on BF3 for BFBC2 to give you something better doesn't seem wise. From what I've seen on the Beta it's the same game as BFBC, just a bit more detail in the levels and some schematic sequences that happen during the match. It's boring compared to CoD MW2. For example the A-10 attack runs aren't something you control and as far as I can tell they are just for looks, I've never been killed by them. The game would be a lot more fun if players were given control of those things as they are in MW2.

The comments and video clips I'd seen up to this point indicated that BFBC2 was leaning more towards features we'd seen in the PC version of BF games. After playing the game it's almost identical to the first one, BFBC, which is disappointing. The first one was an ok game but it needed a lot of tinkering to get the game to be fun long term.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo