Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Wants #1 FPS Spot

Kotaku has some statements from EA chief John Riccitiello about EA's ambitions of regaining the top spot in the first-person shooter market they feel Activision currently enjoys with the Call of Duty series. "I'm not saying it's going to happen tomorrow, but in the way that Activision sort of alternates sequels of Modern Warfare and Call of Duty and owns the leadership position in FPS [first-person-shooter], between Medal of Honor and Battlefield, I want it back," Riccitiello told them. "And we're going to get there with innovation and quality." He explains why, in a comment that suggest he actually plays these games:

I think the Infinity Ward guys are great. It's not about them being bad for us having to be great too. I'm a fan of a lot of our competitors' products. But if you've played Modern Warfare, and you've played the first one — and you've played the last Call of Duty — it's sort of starting to feel like they're making the same game again. And I personally think being able to control your vehicle as opposed to being able to ride on one [is good]. And I think there's something a little bit cool about taking a building out and getting the six guys in it. Personally, I get sort of a silly amount of pleasure out of it.

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

70. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 6, 2009, 19:31 Prez

Again, I think some of us are confusing being the most popular with being the best. There is simply no way, in my mind, that MW2 is the best shooter, or honestly even ranks in the top 25, despite the fact that it is one of the fastest sellers ever.

Can anyone NOT working for Activision make that claim, based on the game itself and not on numbers, with a straight face?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 6, 2009, 07:23 theyarecomingforyou

Thinking further on it Prez, I agree with you but it's impossible to qualitatively define the top first person shooter, so sales measurements are really the only worthwhile metric.
No, because by that logic a cheap family car would be better than a Lamborghini.

The simple answer is that there is no way to objectively prove which game is best. But given the sales figures and review scores I think it's safe to say that MW2 certainly isn't a bad game. Overrated? Almost certainly.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

68. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 6, 2009, 01:43 TurdFergasun

All I'm saying is that MW2 making lots of money doesn't prove much, other than that a lot of people like it.

Thinking further on it Prez, I agree with you but it's impossible to qualitatively define the top first person shooter, so sales measurements are really the only worthwhile metric. It sucks but that's how it is with the majority of entertainment in general.

wouldn't reliable pirated figures give you a better indication? i mean if you can't get someone to play your game for free en masse wouldn't it be a fairly sturdy way to distinguish the games that truly have staying power? doesn't cod4 still hold the record for pirated copies?

how many kids get mommy or daddy to buy their games for them? with that sort of influence being such a large factor in video game sales numbers, doesn't it null n void the numbers as a qualitative measurement? these kids are victims of shotty marketing, and what essentially boils down to keys being jangled in their faces convincing them to whine to their parents, how can this demographic be included and still be considered a reliable litmus test for quality?

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2009, 01:44.

67. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 5, 2009, 18:28 xXBatmanXx

GameInformer has a great issue this month. Top 200 games of all time. The first 100 or so give you a great idea of the last 20 or so years of gaming....and it is hard to disagree with much of the list.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

66. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 4, 2009, 13:39 Verno

All I'm saying is that MW2 making lots of money doesn't prove much, other than that a lot of people like it.

Thinking further on it Prez, I agree with you but it's impossible to qualitatively define the top first person shooter, so sales measurements are really the only worthwhile metric. It sucks but that's how it is with the majority of entertainment in general.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

65. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 4, 2009, 13:13 Kxmode

What *is* the definitive FPS?

Doug.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQFYceNZS8

64. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 4, 2009, 12:32 Verno

It proves that the majority of consumers want titles like MW2 and that has a profound effect on the industry so it proves too much unfortunately.  

63. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 4, 2009, 12:13 Prez

Well, whether or not I do, (and you're right - I don't), to me the concept of being "definitive" or any other version of "best" you can come up with is a separate issue from money.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

62. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 4, 2009, 10:28 Verno

That's all well and good but you don't fund game development so...  

61. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 4, 2009, 09:59 Prez

Any of the FPS's mentioned: Tribes, Quake, Half-Life, Doom - any one of of them, (and any one of probably 2 dozen others that could be mentioned), is galaxies beyond Modern Warfare in my view.

For me, sales figures are not the end-all-be-all metric by which such a thing is measured. In fact, it doesn't even factor in.

- Mahatma Gandhi

60. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 4, 2009, 01:13 Kxmode

So you're saying all PC Gamers are Nazis? Yeah, FU too.

It's a Zero Punctuation reference. In one review he referenced the "filthy console gaming peasants" and the "glorious PC gaming master race".

See here:
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7664/45617314zi1mu6copypp8.jpg

Well then FU Yahtzee! Shakefist

59. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 4, 2009, 00:00 Jerykk

Tribes kthx.

/end thread

58. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 22:02 PHJF

Every one of those players literally stabbed me in the back, and every moment of their ongoing playtime is another twist to the blade.

Seriously, it really hurts. I'm half tempted to forge a new religion whose only mortal sin be playing PC CoD6. Maybe then I'd have some peace of mind. Maybe.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

57. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 20:49 MTechnik

for anyone who is tracking...

Current Peak Today Game
36,798 94,770 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
24,573 84,249 Counter-Strike: Source
21,968 71,701 Counter-Strike
17,607 24,691 Left 4 Dead 2
10,748 13,361 Team Fortress 2
7,399 19,213 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Considering they are all steam games, the data should be accurate.

56. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 20:04 the_culture

Half-life

It was when I realized FPS games could be so much more.

55. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 19:55 nin

OK, poll time. Its easy to just say someone else is wrong. Let's talk about what's right.

Quake.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

54. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 19:06 Sepharo

The definitive SP FPS is HL.
The definitive MP DM FPS is Q3.
The definitive MP TEAM FPS is CS, BF, TF, T...

brb looking up definition of "definitive"

53. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 18:58 Lorcin

yeah HL here to - I still regulary check the Black Mesa Source page for updates whilst I have exactly zero intrest in the latest HD doom/quake remake.

Edit oh actually thinking back the 2 biggest "WOW" moments for me both came in Unreal - the (then) stunning castle level intro, and the first proper FPS fright when the lights when out as they introduced the Skari really do stick firmly in my mind.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2009, 19:05.

52. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 18:47 Nameless Again

Finally someone with some brains on this board. Instead of trying to whip out his penis like the rest of you one-inch peckers, he proposes a simple question that cuts to the heart of the matter. I salute you sir.

For me, the answer is Half-Life. Some would say Doom, but I say HL.

51. Re: EA Wants #1 FPS Spot Dec 3, 2009, 18:43 Krovven

Instead, the majority of their games end up being shit because they didn't give their dev teams the time or the freedom to create the world that they wanted to create.

I'm not usually one to defend EA, but changes don't happen overnight, especially when most games take years to make. EA has made a lot of good changes in the last couple of years, released some pretty good new IP's and and are continuing to make more. You can only do so much at once. But in making these changes they are also getting criticized by the same people for laying staff off, closing studios, etc. to facilitate these changes. They simply can't win with everyone.

They hardly even continue supporting released games. You can't say that about Valve.

Depends on the game, they have supported most of their games lately post release. Do you recall the uproar over the lack of L4D1 post-release support (not that I agree with that)?

Personally I don't think EA is quite as bad as they were a few years ago, and appear to be continuing to improve. But I'm still very cautious what games of theirs I buy and usually wait awhile after release to get feedback...but that can be said of most games and game companies these days.

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo