Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Alganon "Soft" Launch

Quest Online announces the "soft launch" of Alganon, their fantasy-themed MMORPG, offering discounts to new players. There's a launch message from David Allen on the game's website and a soft launch video on their channel on the YouTube. There's also an Alganon Launch Day Interview on ZAM News talking with Jim Younkin, the game's community manager. Here's part of the announcement:

"During this Soft Launch process, players can purchase Alganon at a 50% discount and can also gain additional discounts on the monthly fee," said David Allen, President of Quest Online. "Alganon is a warm, vibrant and inviting world players want to be a part of. We've got something really special here players can be a part of for years to come, especially as the world grows through the numerous planned free expansions."

Supporting the Soft Launch of Alganon is the unique MyAlganon community system (http://www.myalganon.com, offering a number of features to bring players together including groups, SMS message updates, stream communication, and large-scale repositories of characters, guilds, and game information.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Alganon Dec 3, 2009, 11:23 Gentle Nova

That's what Blizzard does, takes things that people have done before and do them better than anyone else.

And that's exactly what a new developer / publisher should be doing with a new MMO but they dont'. In particular, they don't learn from the mistakes of previous developers and, secondly, they don't seem to collaborate with the community around their game (even when they say they do). Words mean nothing, actions are everything.

BTW with regards to the WoW clone comparison, it can be done right, if the developer embraces and extends upon the quality and functionality of the previous game they are trying to copy. Yet in Alganon's case, it's pretty evident the game is lacking a helluva lot of polish and all of the new innovative stuff hasn't even been implemented yet. This is nuts because you only have a small window of opportunity to make an impression. From the sounds of things, they've lost that opportunity and it's going to be infinitely harder to entice people to their game now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. When does the beta end? Dec 3, 2009, 11:12 Ant

When does the beta end? I still need to try the game, but no time.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

14. Re: Alganon Dec 3, 2009, 09:29 eRe4s3r

Sadly that will never stop blind developers to try to jump on the MMO bandwagon only to fail monumentally - And even better if its Indy developers trying to make an MMOG , its recipe for failure.

For some reason after WoW developers seem to think there is still a market left - but what WoW doesn't occupy it churns out burnt - Most people stopping WoW do not ever touch another MMO again.

13. Re: Alganon Dec 3, 2009, 08:13 Slashman

I just don't get it. Why even be in the games industry if that's all you can aspire to?

Because most of us aren't financially independent and able to spend millions of dollars of our own money to make our dream game...so we have to make games that people with money are willing to part with said money in order to make?

This whole thing though reeks of "The game is not done, we need your money now, but know that we can't stick you for the full price and have any hope of turning things around."

So basically a discounted pay-for-beta

But if those types of games keep failing, is it really smart to continue to make them? Whether you like WoW or not(and I'm squarely in the not camp), they have basically reached the pinnacle of what can be done with the EQ era type of fantasy MMO. That's what Blizzard does, takes things that people have done before and do them better than anyone else.

No one can directly compete with that, so why even try? Your odds of failing right now are just as high if you make a WoW clone as they are if you make something original and innovative. The MMO market has reached that kind of saturation. I'd almost be inclined to say that another WoW-clone is guaranteed failure while something new might be just the thing to make you some money.

But what do I know? I think Blizzard did the MMO industry overall a lot more harm than good...

12. Re: Alganon Dec 3, 2009, 00:14 Killswitch

I see some people in Alganon's forums that are upset because they discounted the price after they already paid full price. Even see some people who claim they pre-paid for a 12 month sub. lol? I personally can't sub for anything more than 1 month at a time. Even games I love I can't play for more than 2 months before I get bored and have to take a 6 month break.

11. Re: Alganon "Soft" Launch Dec 3, 2009, 00:08 dubfanatic

this game is destined to fail, just like Allen's last game. and just like that game it will be rescued by one of his associates at pennies on the dollar and continue to suck and lose money.

10. Re: Alganon Dec 2, 2009, 23:27 Kxmode

I predict this gravy train is going to fall into an abyss... and explode.  

9. Re: Alganon "Soft" Launch Dec 2, 2009, 23:04 Karnisov

the comments over on massively have not been positive, and they're pretty easy going as far as mmos.  
"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary

8. Re: Alganon Dec 2, 2009, 22:50 Ruffiana

I just don't get it. Why even be in the games industry if that's all you can aspire to?

Because most of us aren't financially independent and able to spend millions of dollars of our own money to make our dream game...so we have to make games that people with money are willing to part with said money in order to make?

This whole thing though reeks of "The game is not done, we need your money now, but know that we can't stick you for the full price and have any hope of turning things around."

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2009, 22:52.

7. Re: Alganon Dec 2, 2009, 22:49 Sepharo

Epic.  

6. Re: Alganon Dec 2, 2009, 22:37 Killswitch

I checked out the game over the weekend.. had so many bugs, I can't believe it went live. And I don't mean a few bugs here and there, but just about every part of the interface there was crap that wouldn't work properly--and that's when you weren't crashing to the desktop.

The UI is exactly like WoW's. They even cloned the crappy elements of it. If you're going to copy something, you may as well copy it along with the best addons available for it. WTF

5. Re: Alganon "Soft" Launch Dec 2, 2009, 22:34 Mead

"MyAlganon"?

Pass. Haven't even seen the hoople about the game itself, but if the devs are still stuck in 1999, it can't be good.

4. Re: Alganon "Soft" Launch Dec 2, 2009, 22:32 Wallshadows

I already spend $15 a month on WoW.  

3. Re: Alganon "Soft" Launch Dec 2, 2009, 22:29 IQ

Poor guy, he doesn't even know his game is pre canceled

And their timing is bad, with the big wow patch next week

2. Re: Alganon "Soft" Launch Dec 2, 2009, 21:44 wtf_man

From what I gather... it's SUPPOSED to be a WoW clone with these "indie developers" favorite "features" added.

Whether that's a right direction to go with not not, is debatable.

I tend to ever so slightly lean towards "Hell Fricken No!!!"

1. Re: Alganon "Soft" Launch Dec 2, 2009, 21:24 Riker

The game looks so much like a copy-paste World of Warcraft clone it's not even funny. From what I hear, that impression is accurate.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo