Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Bad Company 2 and BF 1943 Specs

The Battlefield Blog has system specifications for the PC editions of Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 1943, which are the same, as the two military shooters share the same updated Frostbite engine:

Minimum Frostbite PC Specifications for BFBC2 & BF1943
Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz
Main memory: 2GB
Graphics card: GeForce 7800 GT / ATI X1900
Graphics memory: 256MB
Free HDD space: 15GB for Digital Version, 10GB for Disc Version (BFBC2)
10GB for Digital Version, 4GB for Disc Version (BF1943)

Recommended Frostbite PC Specifications for BFBC2 & BF1943
Processor: Quadcore
Main memory: 2GB
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 260
Graphics memory: 512MB
Free HDD space: 15GB for Digital Version, 10GB for Disc Version (BFBC2)
10GB for Digital Version, 4GB for Disc Version (BF1943)

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Nice specs! Dec 3, 2009, 16:20 ASJD

Except that you can buy a PC that exceeds the minimum requirements from the Dell outlet for about $550.

Crysis had higher needs, but the needs to play it "acceptably" when it came out were much further out of line with the norm.

I highly doubt it'll look better than the console versions at minimum settings. Odds are as far as assets & textures, the max settings are console equivalent.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Bad Company 2 and BF 1943 Specs Dec 2, 2009, 23:07 ColoradoHoudini

As a PC gamer, I am totally fine with spending money every 2-3 years (personal avg) to buy a computer that allows me to play the top games well.
I enjoy the great graphics, mods, add-ons, and function that a PC brings that a console never will.

20. Re: Bad Company 2 and BF 1943 Specs Dec 2, 2009, 16:42 spindoctor

spindoctor: Maybe 5-6 GB for download only?

As it turns out, they answered this question. The extra 5gb is to account for the installer download.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

19. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 2, 2009, 16:35 LittleMe

I believe there is room for both the PC and Console in a gaming market.

I don't think many people commenting here at BN are saying there's no room for consoles, but that when PC games are watered down to being the same as a console game that a lot about what makes PC games so great is lost in the process. Something along those lines anyway.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

18. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 2, 2009, 16:35 LittleMe

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2009, 16:36.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

17. Re: Nice specs! Dec 2, 2009, 16:33 LittleMe

Except that you can buy a PC that exceeds the minimum requirements from the Dell outlet for about $550.

So how much would that same Dell machine have cost six months or a year ago? People don't buy a new PC for each new game release.

16. Re: Bad Company 2 and BF 1943 Specs Dec 2, 2009, 16:28 LittleMe

Could anybody please name an ATI equivalent of the GTX 260?

The 1GB 4870 is maybe 5% or 10% faster than the 260. Depends on the game of course.

15. Re: Bad Company 2 and BF 1943 Specs Dec 2, 2009, 16:14 theyarecomingforyou

Except those specs are ridiculous, and those specs are WAYYYY higher than Crysis's. Way higher than GTA4 for that matter!
So? My current system is far beyond anything available when Crysis was being developed and yet the performance is still laughable. That doesn't mean BC2/BF3 won't perform better; in fact I'd be incredibly surprised if they performed worse.

actually, im fairly certain that the multi-platform nature of most modern games has inflated the required PC specs due to the nature of porting the game back and forth.. most of the time it seems developers are more than content to let ultra high-end performance take up the slack of their shitty coding on the PC side
I'm not sure that's true when you compare quality ports (in terms of engine and performance) like Far Cry 2 and Assassin's Creed to PC exclusive games like Crysis and ArmAII.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: Bad Company 2 and BF 1943 Specs Dec 2, 2009, 14:35 winnetou

Could anybody please name an ATI equivalent of the GTX 260? I'm totally out of touch with Nvidia's chipsets.  

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Dec 2, 2009, 13:29 HellSlayer

The game is stunning and the game is also fun. I will own it. I also need to get a new gaming rig built. I believe there is room for both the PC and Console in a gaming market.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2009, 13:35.

o0

12. Re: Bad Company 2 and BF 1943 Specs Dec 2, 2009, 13:25 StingingVelvet

I watched a video of the PS3 beta the other day and the game actually looks REALLY stunning. Considering all they are probably loading on the cell processor it actually makes sense to have a high processor requirement on PC just like GTA4.

Perhaps the GPU requirement is related to DICE actually moving some of those calculations to the GPU as well.

11. Re: Nice specs! Dec 2, 2009, 13:02 MTechnik

Except those specs are ridiculous, and those specs are WAYYYY higher than Crysis's. Way higher than GTA4 for that matter!

If gaming with the big dogs means spending $1000 to play the equivalent of a $300 console, you can count me out. Time was when spending that money meant something.

Like another poster said, this is evidence of bad porting, nothing special about the PC itself...

Crysis had higher needs, but the needs to play it "acceptably" when it came out were much further out of line with the norm.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2009, 13:04.

10. Re: Bad Company 2 and BF 1943 Specs Dec 2, 2009, 12:11 Hump

Played BF1943 and got bored within an hour. Maybe because I played BF'42 so much that '43 ended up feeling very simplistic and dull.

BTW, Wake Island just isn't the same unless you include the ships. That's an aspect of BF2 I didn't like. While the ships weren't exactly central to gameplay they were a fun diversion on occasion. It made the game feel much more expansive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

9. Re: Nice specs! Dec 2, 2009, 11:44 ASJD

Nice, those recommended specs are nice & beefy. It's about time a developer comes out with some pretty high end recommended specs. The last one to do this was Crysis, I think.

Although now we will hear all the complainers on here talk about how "ridiculous" those specs are & why "This is why I console game who has that kind of money". Like I have always said if you want to game with the big dogs (Ie. PC Platform) pony up the money. PC Gaming is a serious hobby not just some time consuming idle activity you do to kill time, that's what consoles are for.

If gaming with the big dogs means spending $1000 to play the equivalent of a $300 console, you can count me out. Time was when spending that money meant something.

Like another poster said, this is evidence of bad porting, nothing special about the PC itself...

8. Re: Nice specs! Dec 2, 2009, 11:41 LittleMe

actually, im fairly certain that the multi-platform nature of most modern games has inflated the required PC specs due to the nature of porting the game back and forth.. most of the time it seems developers are more than content to let ultra high-end performance take up the slack of their shitty coding on the PC side

so while you may be cheering that high end spec list, keep in mind that alot of that processing overhead may simply be going to translation rather than content

Yeah I wonder if DICE is using any i686 SSE optimizations, etc.. I rather doubt they've coded the engine to take native advantage of PC CPU's. Hopefully we'll get some patches with performance improvements down the road. Would be nice. In any case, we can always upgrade our PC's one, two, or three years down the road. Not a real fix for the problem but more like a bull in a china shop type of work around. hehe

7. Re: Bad Company 2 and BF 1943 Specs Dec 2, 2009, 11:28 Techie714 ©

@Elf
I dont bash consoles too much. In fact I own a PS3 & love it! But I dont do any gaming on it really.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

6. Re: Bad Company 2 and BF 1943 Specs Dec 2, 2009, 11:21 Ant

spindoctor: Maybe 5-6 GB for download only?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

5. Re: Nice specs! Dec 2, 2009, 11:18 space captain

Nice, those recommended specs are nice & beefy. It's about time a developer comes out with some pretty high end recommended specs. The last one to do this was Crysis, I think.

Although now we will hear all the complainers on here talk about how "ridiculous" those specs are & why "This is why I console game who has that kind of money".

so while you may be cheering that high end spec list, keep in mind that alot of that processing overhead may simply be going to translation rather than content

Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Bad Company 2 and BF 1943 Specs Dec 2, 2009, 10:35 Elf Shot The Food

I'll give a $5 check* to the first person who can point out a Techie714 post where he doesn't take a shot at consoles.

*check will not be honored

3. Re: Bad Company 2 and BF 1943 Specs Dec 2, 2009, 10:32 eXFeLoN

Where can I buy a Frostbite PC? Mine's more of a Molten Lava PC.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo