Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA on Digital Distribution

A story on Reuters covers their own Reuters Global Media Summit, quoting EA Chief Executive John Riccitiello on the digitally distributed future of the game business. "We're the world's leader in packaged goods games, we make more of them than anybody," Riccitiello says. "We're not suggesting that business is going away ... (but) there's this other thing that's growing." Riccitiello describes how a the recently announced 1500 layoffs at EA represent "an offensive, positive step towards the evolution of our business," saying a changing environment "means fewer titles, and needing less personnel against that side of the business." The article states: "EA currently publishes more than 50 titles and plans to cut that back to about 40 next fiscal year to focus on quality games. Riccitiello said he could see EA publishing even fewer titles going forward."

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: EA on Digital Distribution Dec 4, 2009, 08:58 Verno

I blame console gamers for lowering standards. Say whatever you wish, but you know its true.

They're not lowering their standards. Buying products to entertain yourself is not some mistake or flaw. Your beef is with the industry, you just like a convenient scapegoat like most other small minded dunce capsters around here

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: EA on Digital Distribution Dec 3, 2009, 08:10 CJ_Parker

They don't MAKE them, they distribute them.

Please get a fucking clue. Contrary to other publishers who only publish or distribute games, EA also has quite a number of fully owned development studios under their belt (you make lookie-lookie here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts#Studios_and_subsidiaries ). As you can see they do in fact MAKE the majority of the games they distribute.

10. Re: EA on Digital Distribution Dec 3, 2009, 07:44 Luther

Who are both owned by EA. Really, the publisher calls the shots when it comes to which titles get the green light and they don't judge a titles worth by how original or even how good it will be. Rather, they'll choose it based on how many millions of units they expect it to ship.
They'll do that based on past experience and what titles have done well recently, which is why sequels and the interminable parade of identical boring sports games will always get first pick.
Whilst it feels good to bash the unimaginative souls in publishing, the truth is that they are reactive - if people bought more copies of Mirrors Edge and Dead Space than bought copies of madden then they'd green light more games like that.
On the other hand, if an independent developer released a game like Dead Space on steam and found it did rather well for them would continue to do so as they didn't have to worry about a publisher taking a huge slice of the profits and then complaining that it wasn't enough.
So, in short, the most likely place to find original, polished games with high production values that readers of this website would like would be independent developers with deep pockets. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Valve.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2009, 07:47.

9. Re: EA on Digital Distribution Dec 2, 2009, 21:08 The Half Elf

Ok but of the titles you listed only 1 was actually made by EA, the rest was by Bioware or Dice.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

8. Re: EA on Digital Distribution Dec 2, 2009, 17:11 Kxmode

They don't MAKE them, they distribute them. But their business model means that they don't very often give their development houses the time or leeway to create the titles that they (and we) probably wanted them to create. It's a shame.

It's not that I don't feel for those who would lose their jobs--I know what it's like to be stuck in a lengthy period of unemployment--but I honestly would love to see EA just go away. They impede progress and innovation.

I blame console gamers for lowering standards. Say whatever you wish, but you know its true.

7. Re: EA on Digital Distribution Dec 2, 2009, 13:28 StingingVelvet

I wish they'd just make some good titles.

Some of my favorite games of the last two years are EA titles: Dead Space, Dragon Age, Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect, etc.

As for this news, no shock there... PC is leading the way with account-based digital "ownership" and the consoles will follow as soon as they think it is viable. Perhaps not the next-gen but the one after it, depending on when such things actually go to market.

6. Re: EA on Digital Distribution Dec 2, 2009, 12:53 Creston

Of course, when he says that they're going to publish fewer titles, he means fewer titles like Mirror's Edge and Dead Space. There's no way in hell they'll cut back on their Once-A-Year-Shovelware. (or, God forbid, try to increase the quality of those titles.)

It's the new EA! I was so pleasantly surprised when I had to agree to more of EA's Eula bullshit when I tried to play Dragon Age last night. It's the new EA! They're more customer friendly now! :-vomit-:

Creston

5. Re: EA on Digital Distribution Dec 2, 2009, 12:19 ForgedReality

They don't MAKE them, they distribute them. But their business model means that they don't very often give their development houses the time or leeway to create the titles that they (and we) probably wanted them to create. It's a shame.

It's not that I don't feel for those who would lose their jobs--I know what it's like to be stuck in a lengthy period of unemployment--but I honestly would love to see EA just go away. They impede progress and innovation.

4. Re: EA on Digital Distribution Dec 2, 2009, 10:34 eXFeLoN

3. Re: EA on Digital Distribution Dec 2, 2009, 10:24 spindoctor

all those layoffs have nothing to do with digital distribution. My guess is that is just an excuse.

Nowhere does he say that the layoffs had anything to do with digital distribution.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

2. Re: EA on Digital Distribution Dec 2, 2009, 10:18 RenownWolf

Considering their next action was to start hiring up in countries with a lower level of income it does appear a bit of bs.  

http://www.renownwolf.com

1. Re: EA on Digital Distribution Dec 2, 2009, 09:25 InBlack

With the obvious growth of the digital distribution market, its kind of more or less certain that this is at the expense of the retail market.

I think all the major publishers will follow suit. Unfortunately this means fewer jobs for a lot of people working at factories that produce CDs, boxes, booklets etc. etc. etc.

I think this is relatively speaking still quite a way off in the future, so all those layoffs have nothing to do with digital distribution. My guess is that is just an excuse.

I have a nifty blue line!

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo