Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Comcast Buying NBC Universal

CNBC.com reports General Electric has completed a deal to sell NBC Universal to Comcast, pending completion of a deal where Vivendi will sell its 20% stake in the entity. The deal may take up to a year before being approved by the FCC, but that approval is ultimately expected, which would leave Comcast 51% owner of NBC Universal, with GE retaining the other 49%. Word is: "Comcast wants NBC Universal largely for its lucrative cable channels, such as Bravo and CNBC. NBC Universal also spans the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, the Universal Pictures movie studio and Universal theme parks." GE currently owns 80 percent of NBCU, which is valued at approximately $30 billion, and they say: "The deal includes the spinoff of NBC Universal and $9 billion in debt. It also includes the merger of Comcast's content assets and a $6 billion cash contribution." Thanks Mike Martinez via Mashable.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 7, 2009, 12:01 Ecthelion

I already have to pay Comcast for a cable subscription I don't even use.

Can't I just get broadband alone?
It's cheaper to get them together.
But I only want very fast internet please.
Nope you HAVE to get cable TV with it.
I feel your pain. I ended up switching to a business account. I think it's more expensive than a regular account, but it's easier to get standalone internet access with it. It also supposedly gets you better support, but I've only ever called support once in the 6+ years I've had Comcast internet. I would rate them as decent; I would try a competing service if there were any available in my area. Technically I can get Verizon DSL, but the speed would make it just a little better than dial-up.

I still get letters every few weeks advertising Comcast Voice. I shudder to think of how much money they're wasting on that campaign.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2009, 12:01.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Comcast & NBC Univ. Dec 2, 2009, 18:42 kookaveetsa

Comcast sure got a lot of money ripping off people, if there was ever a war to break out and martial law declared, comcast would be number one on the kill list. Beatnik  

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

26. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 2, 2009, 17:12 Kxmode

CONTASTIC!

See what I did there?

25. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 2, 2009, 08:32 NKD

lol, you think it's still 1993, how quaint

The first rule still applies. Obey it or cancel your account, preferably followed by ritual suicide for shaming your fellow man.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

24. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 23:02 Cutter

People still watch network TV?

Big Bang Theory FTW!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

23. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 22:55 Sepharo

(subscriptions, geniusses. It ain't THAT hard to figure out, is it?)

Whoa hey there mister...

I'll be fine watching more commercials as long as I have instant access to lifetimes worth of free television and day after new episodes. But don't you dare suggest a subscription. Or at least if theres a subscription let it be for service and availability above, beyond, and in addition to the free we currently (and hopefully continually) enjoy.

I already have to pay Comcast for a cable subscription I don't even use.

Can't I just get broadband alone?
It's cheaper to get them together.
But I only want very fast internet please.
Nope you HAVE to get cable TV with it.

22. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 22:42 Beaner

Insert this laff after the Hulu comment. This posting system is brokedick and sucks a queef.

This format totally isn't web 1.0.

This so called 1.0 comment system has been working its simple ways faithfully for years. Simple and easy to use. Slashdot is the most "fucked up" forum I have ever seen. Its a prime example of extreme unix geeks trying to design an elaborate UI and be more web 2.0 ala Digg. It is horrible. Version 1 of Slashdot was crap and so is the current one.

Regarding Hulu it will be fine. I dont think Comcast would be that stupid to try and immediately impose pay to watch constraints.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2009, 22:49.

21. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 22:25 Creston

Insert this laff after the Hulu comment. This posting system is brokedick and sucks a queef.

Change your view and stop being a slashdot whiner.

This is pretty bad. When cable companies start owning the networks, it means far less competition and innovation (not that there was a whole lot to begin with.)

That said, this won't kill Hulu. Hulu is doing a fine job of killing itself because they can't figure out a way to bring in revenue. (subscriptions, geniusses. It ain't THAT hard to figure out, is it?)

Creston

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2009, 22:25.

20. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 22:06 shuttleswo

Howso?

i believe he is oh so eloquently pointing out that comments aren't nested like Slashdot etc.

the thing that scares me the most is how comcast handled the VS situation with dish recently; their willingness to withhold content to gain a competitive advantages for their other businesses (in this case taking a hit on the content business to bolster delivery business) clearly shows that they have a monopolistic and unethical culture - allowing them to gain a ridiculous 25% of the TV content market share is really scary; they could, in a matter of years, drive dish, FIOS and direct out of business - after all 'now comcast has 25% more programming than anyone else (because we won't sell it to anyone else)', doesn't seem that far fetched.

19. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 21:04 Lokust

technically the book was from 1996 and the movie from 1999  

18. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 21:01 dubfanatic

First rule, dumbass.

lol, you think it's still 1993, how quaint

17. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 20:57 Prez

Comcast is one of the worst companies I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Absolutely atrocious. I can't say enough bad about how they do business.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 20:39  Blue 

Howso?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

15. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 20:25 Sepharo

If this fucks up Hulu it'll be firebombs for Comcast.  

14. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 20:08 Pyloff

13. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 20:04 Pyloff

Heh...  

12. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 19:28 NKD

cancel your cable, buy a block account on Usenet

First rule, dumbass.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 19:19 Icewind

Comcast is a bitch. Sorry, I have to say it. These jerk offs block Philadelphia Phillies games in the hometown market if you don't have Comcast.

So if you live in Philly and have DirecTV, Dish Network or Verizon...you lose. You also can't get them in your package since they block the games there too.

It was so ironic that after several years of being stuck with over-priced/under-delivered Comcast that when I finally switched to a competitor in January 2008 that they would make a championship run.

10. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 19:18 Belzabub

Comcast is bullshit, this will eventually result in some bad news for people who like tv shows (altho you probly wont hear ever hear about it)

Why????

9. Re: Comcast Buying NBC Universal Dec 1, 2009, 18:58 space captain

Comcast is bullshit, this will eventually result in some bad news for people who like tv shows (altho you probly wont hear ever hear about it)  
Go forth, and kill!

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo