Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Brink Delayed

G4tv.com has a new trailer previewing the S.M.A.R.T. system of freedom of movement in Brink, Splash Damage's upcoming first-person shooter. S.M.A.R.T. stands for Smooth Movement Across Random Terrain, which they explain is not an auto-pilot system, even though that's what it seems to be. The game was announced with a spring 2010 release window, but this trailer reflects a delay, concluding saying the game is due in fall 2010. A post to the Bethesda Blog addresses this without comment: "The release date for Brink is, indeed, Fall 2010. Thatís when the game will be ready for everyone to play. Hope everyone enjoys the videos weíll be putting out this week for everyone that didnít get to see the Brink demo at E3/PAX/QuakeCon/GamesCom/etc."

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Brink Delayed Dec 1, 2009, 09:34 DrEvil

It's a context sensitive animation selector.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Brink Delayed Dec 1, 2009, 09:06 CommunistHamster

I haven't watched anything related to this, but does SMART use inverse kinematics or is it just an auto duck/prone/jump thingy?  

6. Re: Brink Delayed Dec 1, 2009, 00:45 Elf Shot The Food

D.E.R.E.K. S.M.A.R.T.?  

5. Re: Brink Delayed Dec 1, 2009, 00:31 Jerykk

The last 3 FPS betas I was in, I told the damn devs that they were putting out a dud.. nope, they didn't listen.

"Betas" these days are nothing more than glorified demos. They don't actually care about what you have to say.

The SMART system doesn't seem so revolutionary. They seem to be hyping that up the way Epic did their cover system in GoW1.

I think the SMART system is a hell of a lot better than a cover system. It actually increases mobility and pacing, whereas a cover system does the exact opposite.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2009, 00:32.

4. Re: Brink Delayed Dec 1, 2009, 00:18 Icewind

I don't see this being much of a hit. Maybe a B-level game on the consoles like WET, but not much else. Nothing really stands out. The SMART system doesn't seem so revolutionary. They seem to be hyping that up the way Epic did their cover system in GoW1.

Like the first poster said, the engine doesn't move very well. Could be that we're only seeing the shitty console version.

3. Re: Brink Delayed Nov 30, 2009, 23:57 ColoradoHoudini

I agree.. ETQW was a disaster..
the features didn't match the speed, and it ended up being a twitch shooter that had nice side items that people largely ignored.
We warned them in beta that the game was off.. we pointed out all the reasons why.. nobody listened.

The last 3 FPS betas I was in, I told the damn devs that they were putting out a dud.. nope, they didn't listen.
Section 8, Tribes:V, ETQW...

I'm a gaming idiot savant!

oh.. Brink, yes.. let's see here..
dedicated servers or bust.
Also, anyone with a decent FPS background will look at the engine and future capabilities vs what this game delivers.

2. Re: Brink Delayed Nov 30, 2009, 23:04 Jerykk

Hmm, SMART isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It reminds me of Mirror's Edge. As long as players can still manually jump and crouch, all is well.  

1. Re: Brink Delayed Nov 30, 2009, 22:01 PacoTaco

looks like the engine is running slowly, hope its fun ETQW wasn't.  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo