Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up

The Eidos Forums have a follow-up to the vague report that Deus Ex 3 is to be a PC exclusive (thanks Joystiq). Here's word from Eidos-Montréal that suggests this is erroneous, though they don't quite come out and say that:

Only the PC version has been announced so far. The magazine coverage we had last year were all PC: Joystick (France), PC Zone (UK), Gamestar (Germany), PC Guru (Holland), PC Powerplay (Australia), Total PC Gaming, etc. I dunno where that website is getting its info from!

View
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

70. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Dec 1, 2009, 14:02 Verno

....Maybe because I didn't play it on xbox? It's not something I even recall from the game, so if it even happened, it didn't bother me enough to have it affect my impression of the game.

I'm starting to wonder if you even played it. Every version, PC and console, was affected by these problems, they were design issues and not something that one version did better than the other. It was notoriously ranted about in almost every review.

Put simply, levels in DX1 were massive. Levels in DX2 were split up into tiny little mini areas so the game required frequent loading and the game itself felt totally split up.

Either you got some magical version of DX2 that the rest of the public did not receive or you're confusing Deus Ex 1 with Deus Ex: Invisible War.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2009, 14:03.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

69. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 29, 2009, 12:45 Prez

but that doesn't mean it is a total loss like you guys seem to say it is. It can still be a fun game despite not being the game it should have been.

I didn't call it a total loss; that was Jerykk. I said that I enjoyed it once I got over the bigger issues, partially because I waited a long time after playing the original, so the steps back didn't feel as pronounced. It definitely wasn't as bad as the Deus Ex faithful claimed. They were more shocked by what came across as the sacrilege of dumbing down a classic.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

68. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 29, 2009, 12:32 StingingVelvet

To me, a sequel has to be at least as good as, and with mechanics that are up to par with, the original. It's a really bad sign when the sequel takes significant steps backward. Case in point, the original's levels were sprawling and complex. The follow up's diminished level size (yes, I understand why this was done) can only be viewed as regression.

Yes... I KNOW. I am not saying it wasn't dissapointing and I know it should have been better than it was as a sequel to Deus Ex.

Still, none of that means it is not a worth playing and good game for other reasons. Same with Oblivion... crushing dissapointment following Morrowind, but still worth playing for me as an open world hack n slash.

I am not saying the game shouldn't have been better or different, it should have been, but that doesn't mean it is a total loss like you guys seem to say it is. It can still be a fun game despite not being the game it should have been.

67. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 29, 2009, 05:50 Prez

I would never disagree with that, I just don't think it needs to be better, or the same, to be a good game and worth playing.

To me, a sequel has to be at least as good as, and with mechanics that are up to par with, the original. It's a really bad sign when the sequel takes significant steps backward. Case in point, the original's levels were sprawling and complex. The follow up's diminished level size (yes, I understand why this was done) can only be viewed as regression.

66. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 28, 2009, 22:22 Jerykk

DX:IW didn't make me like the original any less, despite all its flaws. If it makes you like the original less, then frankly you need to think more rationally.

Notice I said "series" and not "the original." DX, as a series, has been tarnished by DX:IW. Faith in DX3 has been greatly reduced as a result of DX:IW. Warren Spector and Harvey Smith's reputations have gone downhill as a result of DX:IW. Basically, nothing good came of DX:IW, just like nothing good came of Fallout: BoS or Gothic 3.

I would never disagree with that, I just don't think it needs to be better, or the same, to be a good game and worth playing.

That kind of defeats the whole point of having a sequel. Sequels are supposed to be more of the same, only improved in all respects and expanded in others. That's what the fans expect. If you create a completely different game or take away everything that fans loved about the original, that's a lousy sequel. For example, if CoD7 is turned into a realistic tactical shooter, the majority of its fanbase will be dismayed. It might be a perfectly good tactical shooter but that's not what people want from a CoD game. DX:IW, on the other hand, wasn't in a different genre from DX1. It was just a terrible sequel and a mediocre (at best) game on its own merits.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2009, 22:28.

65. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 28, 2009, 21:41 PHJF

Sorry but that's what a sequel is supposed to be.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

64. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 28, 2009, 20:46 StingingVelvet

While some may have liked DX2, for most fans of the first game it was essentially a kick in the nuts. There's virtually nobody who played the first one that thinks that the second had a good interface, good levels, good performance, better gameplay, etc.

63. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 28, 2009, 20:26 NKD

Indeed they aren't. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Those who saw DX:IW as a travesty would much rather not have their memories of the series be tarnished by its existence.

I don't know about you, but DX is my favorite game of all time. DX:IW didn't make me like the original any less, despite all its flaws. If it makes you like the original less, then frankly you need to think more rationally.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

62. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 28, 2009, 19:30 Wowbagger_TIP

While some may have liked DX2, for most fans of the first game it was essentially a kick in the nuts. There's virtually nobody who played the first one that thinks that the second had a good interface, good levels, good performance, better gameplay, etc. Someone who never played the first might think this, but that's just coming from a point of ignorance rather than an informed opinion about the merits of the second game versus the first. Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss, although I think that for DX2, it's still probably apathy at best.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

61. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 28, 2009, 19:28 Jerykk

Your priorities are not mine, nor are they the majority's I would bet.

Indeed they aren't. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Those who saw DX:IW as a travesty would much rather not have their memories of the series be tarnished by its existence. Whether or not you played it, the game pretty much ruined Harvey Smith and Warren Spector's reputation in the eyes of many. DX:IW was easily the biggest disappointment in my gaming life and I'd much rather it never existed. Selfish? Perhaps but as a gamer, I really don't care about what other people find enjoyable. If I did, I'd be all over Halo, Gears of War and MW2.

PC exclusives should relegated to the past, IMHO.

So you'd rather have console ports..? Do you even play PC games anymore?

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2009, 19:30.

60. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 28, 2009, 19:22 Masa

Were all its other problems disregarded, IW would still ultimately fail miserably because the sprawling maps of Deus Ex were replaced with tiny little dorm rooms.

I thought IW would've been better if it wasn't associated in any way with Deus Ex, but what the hell, it was about the only it had going for it.

As for Deus Ex 3 being a PC exclusive. Meh. There is no reason for it to be. If the budget for the game is so small they can only make it for the PC, then there stands a good chance it'll be a fairly lame game regardless. Besides, I've played the PS2 port of the first Deus Ex and it was a prime example of how ports can be done right. PC exclusives should relegated to the past, IMHO; but then again, there's still a good chance it'll land on a console soon enough. If not, and the game turns out to be a POS, then, well, it wouldn't be the first time the PC acts as the trashcan for bad games.

Yes, but if they make it those people can just not play it, where as if they never made it I have no options.

Ha! You'd just go onto something else. If DXIW was never developed, or cancelled, there would probably be sadness at a sequel getting shitcanned, but at least we'd all be spared the drama.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2009, 19:27.

59. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 28, 2009, 18:35 StingingVelvet

It's not that silly. A lot of people hated DX:IW and thought it tainted the series. Their opinion is just as valid as yours. You believe the game should have been made because you liked it, they think it shouldn't have been made because they didn't like it.

Yes, but if they make it those people can just not play it, where as if they never made it I have no options.

It's just a silly idea to say "I want the game this way or it should never be made" or "make it have lean or never port it" or whatever else. Your priorities are not mine, nor are they the majority's I would bet. Invisible War was well reviewed for the most part and pleased a lot of gamers, myself included. There is no reason its existance should have been eradicated.

58. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 28, 2009, 18:32 PHJF

Were all its other problems disregarded, IW would still ultimately fail miserably because the sprawling maps of Deus Ex were replaced with tiny little dorm rooms.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

57. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 28, 2009, 17:54 Jerykk

Who are you to tell me I should of never played or enjoyed Invisible War? It's a silly idea.

It's not that silly. A lot of people hated DX:IW and thought it tainted the series. Their opinion is just as valid as yours. You believe the game should have been made because you liked it, they think it shouldn't have been made because they didn't like it.

56. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 28, 2009, 17:36 StingingVelvet

I think most DX fans would rather DX:IW never be made at all

And I'm sure a lot of No Mutants Allowed members would have rather Fallout 3 never existed, but both reactions are ridiculous because a lot of people loved the games. Who are you to tell me I should of never played or enjoyed Invisible War? It's a silly idea.

55. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 28, 2009, 16:47 Jerykk

You're overlooking the fact that without a mandate to appeal to a larger audience Eidos probably would not have allowed the game to be made.

I think most DX fans would rather DX:IW never be made at all.

Even if you are aiming at the same exact audience number there is a motivation to change things so you are not making the same exact game. Reviewers hate this, many fans hate it believe it or not and even without a new mandate there is a heavy impulse to innovate, which is what happened to Tribes no doubt.

The issue with sequels isn't so much that they don't change, it's that they don't improve. A sequel should be better than its predecessors in all respects and most sequels don't do this. If DX2 had retained everything from DX but just made it better, the fans and reviewers would have been happy. Same deal with Tribes. With Tribes 2, Dynamix was trying make the game they failed to make with Tribes 1 (a vehicle-centric team-based shooter). They succeeded but ended up losing most of what fans loved about T1.

And on the other hand, unified ammo means you have more ammo available for any given gun, and don't have 700 rounds of ammo sitting there for a gun you don't use or are not skilled in, and no way of trading it in or getting rid of it.

That's one thing that DX definitely needed: vendors. Some way to trade your stuff. They could have put a pawn shop or something in the game. I'm pretty sure this is one change that everyone would approve of.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2009, 16:56.

54. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 28, 2009, 16:25 Prez

I can call myself a die-hard Fallout fan I think - I played the second one for about 300 combined hours. And I wasn't turned off by the first person view of Fallout 3. I loved the immersion of it, actually. There were other issues I had with the way Bethesda handled the property to be sure, but all in all I think they did a fantastic balancing act between capturing the essence of the original while broadening the appeal. One of the best instances of it ever, actually.

Had Deus Ex been handled in a way more like that, who knows? IW could have been a breakout title for the series. Again, I think marketing had something to do with it as well. In my view Fallout 3 was marketed very well, IW was not.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2009, 16:26.

53. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 28, 2009, 16:07 StingingVelvet

This is correct, but the issue of how far they can stray from the fundamentals of the original and still be true to the original is a touchy one, especially when you are talking the hardcore audiences that Fallout and Deus Ex have.

I would assume the Fallout and Bethesda partnership started one day when a high-level Bethesda employee thought "that storyline was really cool and the world would suit our exploration open-world style very well." And they were right. I am sure they realized relatively quickly that there were a group of fans who associated Fallout with things like isometric camera angles and turn-based combat who would never accept it as a Bethesda game and I doubt they cared much. All you have to do is win over the majority, you don't need to please everyone, nor can you ever do so.

As long as a sequel honors the spirit of the original I am fine with it, and Fallout 3 does so very much, Invisible War too in most ways. That the mechanics and even the genre could be called different is true, but they can still be called great games in the spirit of the originals.

52. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 28, 2009, 15:25 HeadWound

Yeah. In most FPS games you end up using whatever the enemies around you are using, for ammo reasons. In my mind that's very boring.

I love having to be miserly with the ammo and making sure every shot counts. It adds a tension that I would greatly miss in a story driven game like Deus Ex.

51. Re: PC Deus Ex 3 Follow-up Nov 28, 2009, 14:14 ForgedReality

@Jerykk:
EDIT: I don't know why my post is all italics. :|

Because you didn't close a quote up there.

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo