Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Thief 4 In "Good Shape"

IncGamers has a very brief status report on Thief 4 after getting an update on the stealth/action sequel from Stephane D'Astous. "Let me reassure you that the team is making leaps and bounds," says the General Manager at Eidos-Montréal. "Personally i have NEVER seen a team, at this milestone (middle of pre-production) in such good shape." He also makes a quick reference to the expectations for the title, saying fans "will NOT be disappointed with Thief 4."

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Thief 4 In Nov 28, 2009, 16:59 Jerykk

The Thief universe is far too interesting to drop in favor of modern times in my opinion. the theme, mood, and setting are incredible.

Agreed. We already have plenty of games in contemporary and futuristic settings. Not so many games in unique medieval steampunk settings.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Thief 4 In "Good Shape" Nov 28, 2009, 13:14 Creston

I'd love a modern Thief, to be honest. I'm tired of every game being set in a middle-aged fantasy world. It'd be fun to have to sneak around modern security and use all kind of gadgets to get to where you want to go.

More likely, this will be Assassin's Creed in all but name.

Creston

33. Re: Thief 4 In Nov 28, 2009, 11:39 Prez

The Thief universe is far too interesting to drop in favor of modern times in my opinion. the theme, mood, and setting are incredible. I wouldn't mind a modern day offshoot or parallel game series (like how Warhammer has both futuristic and fantasy/medieval type settings), but I don't want to lose the awesome steampunk/gothic vibe of Garrett's world.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

32. Re: Thief 4 In Nov 28, 2009, 11:07 Overon

Remember the ending of the last thief game. What looks to be a girl tries to steal from garett and he repeats what the keepers told him when he tried to steal from them when he was her age "You have talent. It's not easy thing to see a Keeper, especially one that does not wish to be seen." That's what happened in the first game beginning describing garett's origins. So the cycle repeats. I wonder if they will think up a whole new world for maybe another trilogy.

Also a modern thief that made use of the light/dark mechanic would have to be as cheesy as splinter cell offering a world that is poorly light to fit the gameplay.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2009, 11:09.

31. Re: Thief 4 In Nov 28, 2009, 10:54 Shok

Splinter Cell: chaos theory was basically Thief gameplay in modern times. The objectives were'nt to steal things but it had the cool gadgets like sticky cameras and such for sneaking around the levels.

Without the archery/blackjack weapon mechanics and medieval setting I think Thief would just end up feeling like I was playing another Splinter cell type game.

30. Re: Thief 4 In Nov 28, 2009, 10:38 Pankin

Am I the only one that would like to see the Thief franchise switch to modern times? Just think of all the cool gadgets and computer systems that would be required to bypass today's alarm systems. I think it would rock like a cock-fight.

[edit] Grr, I just saw StingingVelvet's post. Yes, I think it would be cool and it would breathe some very fresh air into a venerable franchise.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2009, 10:40.

29. Re: Thief 4 In Nov 27, 2009, 23:30 NKD

What's he supposed to say, "Fans will probably be disappointed, because we've decided to make a terrible game."?

Developers always think their games are awesome, and that everyone is going to love them.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

28. Re: Thief 4 In Nov 27, 2009, 21:59 Shok

All I want is rope arrows again! They mysteriously disappeared in Thief 3 and made me sad  

27. Re: Thief 4 In "Good Shape" Nov 27, 2009, 20:06 StingingVelvet

Wasn't there a rumor this one is in modern day? Like, the modern day of that world? Or was that just a rumor?  

26. Re: Thief 4 In Nov 27, 2009, 19:54 Prez

Stephane, you shouldn't even bother. Huge numbers of Thief fans were bitterly disappointed by Thief 3. OTOH, I'm sure lots of people loved it as well. So who are you even talking to? Which fans "will NOT be disappointed with Thief 4"?

Hey, when one of my favorite series of all time gets an improbable sequel, I allow myself the luxury of anticipation devoid of skepticism. As such, I'm willing to take him at his word.

At least until my hopes are crushed by a console abomination. But let's hope that doesn't happen...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Thief 4 In "Good Shape" Nov 27, 2009, 19:20 Shadowcat

fans "will NOT be disappointed with Thief 4."
Stephane, you shouldn't even bother. Huge numbers of Thief fans were bitterly disappointed by Thief 3. OTOH, I'm sure lots of people loved it as well. So who are you even talking to? Which fans "will NOT be disappointed with Thief 4"?

24. Re: Thief 4 In Nov 27, 2009, 19:20 Jerykk

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory was awesome, I agree. But 1st-person is a lot more immersive and intense because you can't hide behind cover and still see everything. Thief really relied on this kind of suspense and if you played in third-person, it would be lost.  

23. Re: Thief 4 In Nov 27, 2009, 18:52 Prez

That's curious that you would mention 3rd person as a negative in a stealth game. Splinter cell Chaos Theory was one of the best stealth games I ever played, and it was 3rd person. It seemed right, considering the mechanics involved.

Granted, I play Thief 3 in 1st person mode out of habit, but 3rd person isn't a bane for stealth action games in my view.

That Prez, man, he can sure play a mean game of the Sims (happy now? )
Sunny Allthumbsup
This comment was edited on Nov 27, 2009, 18:54.

- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Thief 4 In Nov 27, 2009, 18:49 Jerykk

If Thief 4 has a cover system, I'll firebomb Eidos Montreal. Hell, they'll probably make it third-person too. And have an emphasis on shooting dudes and blowing stuff up.

Still, they haven't released any info on the game yet so I'm willing to remain somewhat optimistic.

21. Re: Thief 4 In Nov 27, 2009, 18:36 Kosumo

That Prez, man, he can sure play a mean game of the Sims (happy now? )  

20. Re: Thief 4 In "Good Shape" Nov 27, 2009, 18:34 siapnar

I have faith that this game will be good, but it won't feel like a similar experience to Thief 2 or even 3 I bet ya.  

I have projectile dysfunction.
------------------------------
Playing: Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, DiRT 2, Trials Frontier

19. Re: Thief 4 In Nov 27, 2009, 18:16 Prez

Jerykk is officially a Bluesnews celebrity. Would that everyone mention my name with such awe and reverence... **SIGH** Shame  

- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Thief 4 In Nov 27, 2009, 18:12 Kosumo

I'll be all over this like Jerykk on a torrent site. ;p  

17. Re: Thief 4 In Nov 27, 2009, 17:46 Cutter

I'll be all over this like cheap cologne on a whore.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Thief 4 In "Good Shape" Nov 27, 2009, 17:42 ventry

I'll be all over this like melting butter.  

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo