Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 3 Out of Africa?

IncGamers has word that Far Cry 3 may not use the Africa setting of Far Cry 2, learning this from "an inside source at Ubisoft Montreal" working on the just revealed shooter sequel. This is not definitive, actually their source says this is still up in the air: "We're still in very early development and we have no idea where it's going to be set, but I'm pretty sure that it won't be in Africa."

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Far Cry 3 Out of Africa? Nov 26, 2009, 12:54 theyarecomingforyou

The combat was excellent and I could play it all day long...if it wasn't for rinse & repeat missions that lacked variety.
Exactly. The core gameplay itself was hugely enjoyable but the missions required you to drive huge distances for no particularly reason, during which you'd be griefed by vehicle chases, guard posts, the need to constantly check your map and malaria. But when it comes to the combat you could approach it however you wanted - swim around and sneak in; blaze in with a boat; take the land route; snipe from a distance; rocket launcher from a distance; start a fire to flush them out; drive in; hang-glider in; upgrade to camo gear and go for the silent melee takedown, etc. No other first person has made me feel so free to take different approaches. I think that the game would have benefited from being more linear, instead of being a large sprawling map that required you to drive everywhere - it was at the end when you didn't have access to vehicles that it started to pick up, but it was all too short.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Since FC2 sucked... Nov 26, 2009, 00:25 Reactor

I'm the only person alive who liked FC 2. Loved it, in fact. Played it through twice.

Didn't play it through twice, but loved it all the same. It's not just you.

12. Since FC2 sucked... Nov 25, 2009, 18:00 Ant

... are there any mods to make FC2 better? I still haven't tried FC2. I enjoyed FC1 and currently enjoying Crysis (still need to finish it).  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

11. Re: Far Cry 3 Out of Africa? Nov 25, 2009, 17:47 Krovven

The combat was excellent and I could play it all day long...if it wasn't for rinse & repeat missions that lacked variety. I never bothered to finish the game, even though at one point during the game I was looking forward to playing it through a second time. All the missions being the same, with no real reason to keep doing them. Too much travel required to get to each mission and return to the next mission pickup.

The respawning guard posts didnt bother me as much as they did some folks, but at times did seem excessive, particularly when I'd end up destroying all vehicles to deal with them making me have to hoof it to another checkpoint to get a new vehicle, etc, etc.

10. Re: Far Cry 3 Out of Africa? Nov 25, 2009, 16:15 XM-S

I'd love to see like Feudal Japan type territory

that would be an awesome open-world game.. a rogue samurai or ronin taking on a bunch of various shoguns and so forth

Our opinions mean fuckall, but I'm going to third this. The engine would ROCK that.

9. Re: Far Cry 3 Out of Africa? Nov 25, 2009, 15:48 Kxmode

I think FC3 should take place in an urban environment.  

8. Re: Far Cry 3 Out of Africa? Nov 25, 2009, 14:50 Number6

Thank god. The Africa landscape was as boring as it was depressing.
Never did like that game since no matter what I did , I seemed to be working for an asshole.

7. Re: Far Cry 3 Out of Africa? Nov 25, 2009, 14:46 space captain

I'd love to see like Feudal Japan type territory

that would be an awesome open-world game.. a rogue samurai or ronin taking on a bunch of various shoguns and so forth

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: Far Cry 3 Out of Africa? Nov 25, 2009, 13:57 Creston

I'm the only person alive who liked FC 2.

Get in line junior. The line starts BEHIND me.

I think moving away from Africa is a good thing. I'd love to see like Feudal Japan type territory, or heck, a modern city or something.

Creston

5. Re: Far Cry 3 Out of Africa? Nov 25, 2009, 13:24 XM-S

I'm the only person alive who liked FC 2. Loved it, in fact. Played it through twice.

And yet I agree it was hardly without fault, and was largely unrealized potential. I'm just a sucker for eye candy. Just as I would get bored or frustrated with any of the game's many problems, the dawn would peek over mountains and the lighting effects would take my breath away. I don't think I've ever been so immersed in a game environment, and that goes a long way. The sound, the weather, the water, the wind, the cycles of the sun, the motion of the leaves and grass, the physics of the vehicles -- brilliant stuff.

Lets just hope they take that success and build a more engaging game around it with the next in the series.

(ps for the love of god, will someone please use this engine for an open world RPG? Its just begging to be converted into fantasy)

4. Re: Far Cry 3 Out of Africa? Nov 25, 2009, 12:48 Wildone

Spend the time to fix the lazy game design first.  

3. Re: Far Cry 3 Out of Africa? Nov 25, 2009, 12:18 necrosis

Far Cry 3 Do I care?

Really. 2 was such a crapfest with the game stoping bugs and poor widescreen support I could care less about anything more in the series.

2. Re: Far Cry 3 Out of Africa? Nov 25, 2009, 12:03 Ray Marden

They can set the game in a living room so long as they include some actual gameplay and story this time around...
Vehicle w/mounted gun = Instant win. Now repeat endlessly.
Unable to recall the last time I launched the snoozefest that is FC,
Ray

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 12:03.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

1. Re: Far Cry 3 Out of Africa? Nov 25, 2009, 12:01 Morgan19

Oops, nevermind!

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 12:02.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo