Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details

Voodoo Extreme has the minimum and recommended system specifications for Mass Effect 2, BioWare's upcoming RPG sequel, along with word on the game's DRM, which includes no online authentication: "The boxed/retail PC version of Mass Effect 2 will use only a basic disk check and it will not require online authentication. This is the same method as Dragon Age: Origins. Digital versions will use the retailers protection system." There's also a Mass Effect 2 Developer Video Interview on IncGamers discussing the game with BioWare's Adrien Cho and Dr. Ray Muzyka (there's a transcript of the video here). Here's word on the specs:

We know we have a lot of fans who are ready to pre-order Mass Effect 2, but are still waiting for information on whether their PC will run the game and what Digital Rights Management (DRM) Mass Effect 2 will use. Hopefully with the information below, you will now be able to pre-order your copy of Mass Effect 2 from your favorite retailer.

Minimum System Requirements

Operating System: Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista SP1 / Windows 7
Processor: 1.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent AMD CPU
Memory: 1 GB RAM for Windows XP / 2 GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7
Hard Drive Space: 15 GB
DVD ROM: 1x Speed
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible
DirectX: DirectX 9.0c August 2008 (included)
Input: Keyboard / Mouse
Video Card: 256 MB (with Pixel Shader 3.0 support). Supported Chipsets - NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or greater; ATI Radeon X1600 Pro or greater.

Please note that NVIDIA GeForce 7300, 8100, 8200, 8300, 8400, and 9300; ATI Radeon HD3200, and HD4350 are below minimum system requirements. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required. Intel and S3 video cards are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2.

Recommended System Requirements

Operating System: Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista SP1 / Windows 7
Processor: 2.6+ GHz Cure 2 Duo Intel or equivalent AMD CPU
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Sound Card: 100% DirectX compatible sound card and drivers
DirectX: DirectX August 2008
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, or better recommended

For the best results, make sure you have the latest drivers for your video and audio cards. Laptop or mobile versions of the above supported video cards have not had extensive testing and may have driver or other performance issues. As such, they are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2. Intel and S3 video cards are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2.

Digital Rights Management (DRM)

The boxed/retail PC version of Mass Effect 2 will use only a basic disk check and it will not require online authentication. This is the same method as Dragon Age: Origins. Digital versions will use the retailers protection system.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 26, 2009, 04:29 Creston

I've put more than 60 hours into Dragon Age alone with three different characters.

What the heck? I've put over 70 hours into it with one character and I'm maybe half way done.

Jeez Jerykk, get the lead out!

I'm guessing he means 60 hours per character, three characters total.

Mike,

Totally agree on the codes and DLC drudgery. What a crappy system.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 26, 2009, 03:51 Jerykk

I've put more than 60 hours into Dragon Age alone with three different characters.

What the heck? I've put over 70 hours into it with one character and I'm maybe half way done.

41. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 26, 2009, 00:40 Mike Hunt

As much as I've bagged Bioware for the past, um, 10 years probably, I've got to admit that I really enjoyed Mass Effect and Dragon Age. I've put more than 60 hours into Dragon Age alone with three different characters. About 3 hours into a mage right now. I'm trying hard to think of a better game released this year... Torchlight is the only one I can think of and, as good as it is, doesn't compete at the same level.

As for DRM, yesterday I completed a fresh format/install of Windows. After reinstalling DA:O I just copied the Bioware folder and all my content was ready and working (I might have had to log in, don't remember.) If I have one complaint about Dragon Age its that when I first installed it I had to set up a Bioware account and redeem SEVEN INDIVIDUAL CODES. Hopefully ME2 will just use one code that I can get all my content from. Obviously this won't matter to anyone who just gets a standard edition and doesn't care about the extra stuff. Its just install and go, as it should be.

40. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 23:00 Creston

You only need to "activate" Dragon Age if you want the community features and DLC, it is optional.

ah ok. So you can play the game start to finish right out of the box? Activating for extra features is something I fully support!

Yup. Plus it's a one time-only deal per PC, and there is no limit to how many PCs you can install it on and play it on, and all your DLC can be activated across multiple machines as well.

Quite frankly, other than the fact that their auto-downloader/installer is a GIANT piece of junk, it's a good system, and I'm not really sure how else they could have done it anyways.

As for the "how do DA and ME compare," eh, not really all that much, except in broad storylines, I guess. (big evil coming to kill us all.)

I loved Mass Effect, and I love Dragon Age even more. And the whole "Bioware never writes anything with any difficult or morally gray choices" complaint can be forever silenced after Dragon Age as well.

Dragon Age should be game of the year, though the rehashed COD crap will win that.

Best 50 bucks you'll spend all year. Dragon Age rocks.

I will happily play it until ME2 comes out, though I have to find some time to finish my new Renegade playthrough...

Creston

39. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 21:11 Prez

I think whether you prefer one over the other also will have a lot to do with how burned out with typical fantasy archetype RPG's you are. Mass Effect's sci-fi setting is a nice change of pace from elves and dwarves, which have been done to death.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 21:11.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 21:05 Jerykk

I really enjoyed ME and am thinking about maybe getting Dragon Age and wondering game play wise if they are similar.

They don't really have anything in common gameplay-wise. DAO is a traditional CRPG. ME is a shooter. DAO is far more tactical and has many more role-playing possibilities, while ME has a slicker presentation and you get to shoot a lot of stuff.

37. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 20:43 Tumbler

You only need to "activate" Dragon Age if you want the community features and DLC, it is optional.

ah ok. So you can play the game start to finish right out of the box? Activating for extra features is something I fully support!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

36. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 20:31 StingingVelvet

WTF bioware!? Is this true? They claim no online authentication "just like dragon age origins" and that games needs online authentication? WTF. Online activation is not online authentication?

35. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 19:41 Prez

Bioware is great and deserving of praise and gratitude, but isn't the DRM scheme the choice of the publisher?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

34. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 19:39 Toxic_Metal

Got ME for PC at bargain bin. It was crashing every now and then.
Even after patching the game, updated my graphics driver, and not a single crash since. Ran pretty good too at near-maxed visuals on my rig.

All in all, I'd say it was a pretty, good port. And a good, fun game, considering its console-roots. The story and setting kinda hooked me.

I won't be pre-ordering, but against my usual instincts I am looking to maybe get the CE of ME2 on release.

Go Bioware!!!

Their freedom was taken away as they crashed . . .
-- "So Long, and thanks for all the fish..."

33. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 19:29 nickfd

Thanks Jerykk, Creston and anyone else who gave feedback about the PC version. Hopefully they address the issues you guys mentioned. Barring some major screw up by Bioware I think I will get the PC version now for sure, though with this being the 2nd ME game on the platform I can't see that happening. I wish they would make a tool so I could import my 360 save data into the PC version, though I doubt Microsoft would allow them do to that.

A bit off topic for a second, for anyone who owns both ME and Dragon Age how do they compare? I really enjoyed ME and am thinking about maybe getting Dragon Age and wondering game play wise if they are similar.

I own both, beat mass effect, and am getting close to beating dragon age for the first time.

To be honest, dragon age owns mass effect 1 in every and all ways. There's no comparison. Dragon age is so much better in combat, party management, inventory, story, sidequests, relationships between characters, morality involvement/impact, and the list goes on and on.

It's been so long that i've loved a game and thought about a game as much as i do dragon age, that i cannot even remember or compare it to anything in the past 15+yrs of gaming.

My only hope is that mass effect 2 will take the characters and story of mass effect 1, and put it through the same ringer that they did with dragon age. The lore of mass effect was amazing, but the execution was absolute crap compared to dragon age.

32. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 18:32 Tumbler

Dragon Age still has to be activated with EA, online, the first time you go to play it. All DLC and items codes need to be redeemed online, as well. It's not DRM, but it isn't a simple disk check, either.

WTF bioware!? Is this true? They claim no online authentication "just like dragon age origins" and that games needs online authentication? WTF. Online activation is not online authentication?

31. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 18:19 Zzet

Well done Bioware, you're catching on. Include a no disk patch in an update patch later on and you've pretty much done all you need to discourage casual piracy.  

30. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 17:46 ldonyo

Wow I didn't realize dragon age didn't have activation drm, great news on me2. It's nice to have pc games that can be actually purchased! (ie you'll always have a working copy of the game in hand)

Dragon Age still has to be activated with EA, online, the first time you go to play it. All DLC and items codes need to be redeemed online, as well. It's not DRM, but it isn't a simple disk check, either.

29. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 17:20 Dr. D. Schreber

Anyone complaining about the inventory system clearly never played the console version, where it was infinitely worse. The PC version's inventory was like bread from heaven compared to that.

Bioware, you guys rock. Seriously.

Id like to see you guys in a modern warfare against other electronic arts and wanna be code masters. You guys are the true rockstars of PC gaming.

Obsidian doesn't have quite the pedigree Bioware does (especially considering Knights of the Old Republic 1 Vs. 2) but Alpha Protocol is basically Mass Effect IN SPACE IN THE ESPIONAGE GENRE.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

28. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 17:01 Drayth

To the guy below.. careful with the seagate 1tb's. Yeah they're dirt cheap, but mine died in less then a week. When I checked newegg it sounded like that model had about a 50/50 chance of surviving a year. I swapped it for a hitachi.. cost a little more, but working beautifully.  

27. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 16:59 Mashiki Amiketo

I'm still using 3x160gb Samsung drives. They're still quick, I'll probably raid two of them in Raid0 once I break down and pick up a new 1TB drive. They're quick little drives and faster in a raid config.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

26. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 16:58 Drayth

Bioware, you guys rock. Seriously.

Id like to see you guys in a modern warfare against other electronic arts and wanna be code masters. You guys are the true rockstars of PC gaming.

...'k that's my cheesy post for the year... but srsly...

25. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 16:56 NKD

Yeah, I really need to upgrade my 75Gb WD Raptor. New Egg has a 1TB Seagate for $85 or so. I think I'll get that.

75G! Holy shit. I haven't had a drive that small in... probably almost 7 years! By the time you install Windows, and basic necessary apps, you only have room for one or two games.

Get that drive man!

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

24. Re: Mass Effect 2 Specs & DRM Details Nov 25, 2009, 16:18 Tumbler

Wow I didn't realize dragon age didn't have activation drm, great news on me2. It's nice to have pc games that can be actually purchased! (ie you'll always have a working copy of the game in hand)  

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo