Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 3 Confirmed

Computer and Video Games quotes Ubisoft writer Kevin Shortt speaking with Official PlayStation Magazine saying Far Cry 3 looks "pretty exciting," confirming development of a third installment in this first-person shooter series. "No I'm not," the writer replied when asked if he was working on Far Cry 3 during a junket for Avatar. "But I know the team are and what I've seen looks pretty exciting."

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 09:04 theyarecomingforyou

Far Cry 2 is the worst game I have ever played. The concept is patronising and the hypocritical morality of the game is pure nonsense. The gameplay is terrible and it does not need to be an open world game.
Really? For all its problems I found it a very enjoyable game. Sure the driving and respawning guard posts were excessive but the combat was very engaging, the graphics stunning and the atmosphere brilliant. Few games had as much variety, particularly if you turned the difficulty up so as to require you to use cover.

Cover system != lean. The ability to lean whenever, wherever you want is superior to cover systems.
The ability to lean is irrelevant. It does nothing for immersion, at least not with any of the current implementations. Now if you had full control over the degree of lean - for instance, holding down the right button and using the mouse to control how far you want to lean in either direction - and it was fully integrated into the gameplay I might think differently. As it stands it simply takes away two buttons (Q and E) that could be much better used.

You always talk about lean important but I couldn't disagree more.

I look forward to Far Cry 3 but I want to see a lot more depth. They implemented a faction system but made it completely irrelevant by requiring you to do missions for both sides and not giving you any choice. Also, EVERYBODY shot at you - no civilians. Guard posts? At the beginning they showed the guy bribing them to get past but for you? Nope, everybody shoots you. Car chases? The enemy could always catch up to you and your car would damage ridiculously easily. Weapons condition? You could pick up weapons from the enemy but they're always jam all the time and every your new weapons would decay at an unbelievable rate. Personally I'd like to see much more depth, especially after playing Dragon Age: Origins - decisions you make should have an impact, particularly in an open world game. That, and cut out the driving.

Far Cry 2 had a huge amount of potential but was simply a decent game, not great. I think that's what annoyed people rather than it simply being a outright bad game. That said, the original Far Cry wasn't all that great either. Enemies shooting through walls? Yup. Stupid vehicle chases? Yup. Checkpoint save system? Yup.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 08:55 Shataan

"I don't think leaning means anything... a lot of PC shooters never had lean, and it really is a silly feature, no offense to those who like it."

Ya know, it is funny how every time a dev feels that a certain movement is unimportant, MANY of us naturally use those movements ingame. So when ya go to crouch, walk, sprint, run, etc etc etc, and for some odd reason unknown only it seems to the dev team..... something just is missing movementwise, it feels very unnatural.

I remember Men Of Valor. They made it so you can`t move when you are shooting. Anyone remember that 1? Now THAT was fuxoring moronic. And they tried like hell to convince PC gamers that their console aiming method was the 2nd Coming of Heyzues. lol

Long story short,Hello Dev Teams???? Please don`t fox with our immersion by dicking around with natural movement ability.

30. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 05:44 InBlack

Agreed, Far Cry was kind of cool with it being set on a not so deserted jungle island and all that not to mention great looking (back then I was something of a graphics whore).

Crysis was just more of the same (with some new graphics and gimmicks) and Far Cry 2 was just plain retarded.

I have a nifty blue line!

29. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 04:56 Bludd

Far Cry 2 is the worst game I have ever played. The concept is patronising and the hypocritical morality of the game is pure nonsense. The gameplay is terrible and it does not need to be an open world game.

I hate Far Cry 2 with a passion and if Far Cry 3 is anything like it, I will make it my mission to see it fail.

28. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 04:50 Jerykk

Didn't Gears of War and Mass Effect have a lean feature which was wrapped up in the aiming from cover mechanic. I prefer that to a basic lean mechanic anyway.

Cover system != lean. The ability to lean whenever, wherever you want is superior to cover systems. It offers far more flexibility because you can use anything as cover, whereas cover systems only work when you're standing next to an object specifically flagged as cover by the level designer. That said, both GoW and ME were 3rd-person shooters so leaning would be a bit redundant in those. You can already see around corners and over cover regardless of cover system. In an FPS, this is not the case (unless it has a third-person cover system ala BiA:HH and R6:Vegas, both of which were abominations against game balance).

27. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 04:24 InBlack

Jungle Boogie......Jungle Boogie......

So WhoTF is defeloping this anyway? If its Crytek, I can safely say *pass*

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 04:08 ibm

Didn't Gears of War and Mass Effect have a lean feature which was wrapped up in the aiming from cover mechanic. I prefer that to a basic lean mechanic anyway.  

25. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 02:46 Icewind

Conversely, it is not a standard feature of console shooters. Deus Ex? Lean. Deus Ex 2? No lean. Far Cry? Lean. Far Cry 2? No lean. FEAR? Lean. FEAR 2? No lean. Call of Juarez? Lean. Call of Juarez 2? No lean. There's a very obvious trend here.

No matter how well thought out your argument is, the Console game apologists will still "poo-poo" everything you/we say.

shame too, because you really hit the nail on the head.

Sadly, the times are changing and developers realize that you can spend significantly less time and money making a game solely for the consoles yet still make MORE money in the end due to the lower standards console gamers are used to and/or comfortable with.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 02:46.

24. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 02:30 Kxmode

Since when is "This" an internet cliche? Is saying "I agree" also a cliche?

Using "This" is cliché and redundant, where as quoting with no response is better.

23. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 02:25 Jerykk

I don't think leaning means anything... a lot of PC shooters never had lean, and it really is a silly feature, no offense to those who like it.

Obviously a lot of us don't think it's a silly feature, since it's in the vast majority of realistic and pseudo-realistic shooters designed for the PC. IW even added it to the PC version of CoD4 (even though the game was designed for 360) since it was in the first two games. Whether or not you consider it silly is largely irrelevant. It's a standard feature of most PC shooters.

Conversely, it is not a standard feature of console shooters. Deus Ex? Lean. Deus Ex 2? No lean. Far Cry? Lean. Far Cry 2? No lean. FEAR? Lean. FEAR 2? No lean. Call of Juarez? Lean. Call of Juarez 2? No lean. There's a very obvious trend here.

And yes, I do take offense to you calling lean "silly." To me, that's like saying dedicated servers are silly. Or customizable controls. Or antialiasing. You may not care about some features but that doesn't make them silly.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 02:34.

22. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 02:09 Joss

Another example of a good engine with lack of full modding support. That editor was pathetic because you couldn't put AI in to make single-player missions... what the hell devs?

So... yet again, more failure.

21. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 01:57 StingingVelvet

I think it began development as a PC game and then quickly switched over to 360 as the lead SKU. If it were designed for the PC, it probably would have had leaning, like Far Cry and Crysis did.

I don't think leaning means anything... a lot of PC shooters never had lean, and it really is a silly feature, no offense to those who like it.

And Crysis and Far Cry have nothing to do with it, this game was a different developer entirely.

I'm not saying you're wrong though, it could have switched over to Xbox after a whole in development. Still, the PC version does not feel like a console port at all to me, it has robust video options, great graphics and PC only features. The mouse aim is perfect if you set everything to low, the game just has problems keeping a steady framerate and thus smooth mouse aim at higher settings... a couple generations of video cards will do wonders for the game.

20. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 01:43 Prez

Since when is "This" an internet cliche? Is saying "I agree" also a cliche?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 01:14 Elf Shot The Food

Maybe this one will be an actual Far Cry sequel and not Boiling Point Goes to Africa?  

18. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 01:10 Jerykk

It was actually devoloped on PC first unlike most games and the port to console was lacking in several ways from what I have read, notably the lack of quicksave.

I think it began development as a PC game and then quickly switched over to 360 as the lead SKU. If it were designed for the PC, it probably would have had leaning, like Far Cry and Crysis did.

17. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 01:06 shponglefan

As one of the few people who really enjoyed FC2, I'm looking forward to a 3rd one.  

16. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 01:03 Kxmode

|----you are here-------------------------------------------------------------------| LAUNCH

about sums it up.

15. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 00:44 tony

Generic missions, all of which basically play out exactly the same, coupled with needless and repetitive gun jamming, and of course the nonstop ridiculous respawning made this game completely unfun for me.

I'm just glad I was able to sell it on ebay for $10.

14. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 00:41 tony

Please, we have to stop the spread of internet cliches.

This.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 00:42.

13. Re: Far Cry 3 Confirmed Nov 25, 2009, 00:39 Donkey_Punch

This.

Saying "this" is about as annoying as "oh snap" or "'nuff said" or Rick Rolling someone. Please, we have to stop the spread of internet cliches.

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo