Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online Interview

There's a Star Trek Online Interview on Strategy Informer chatting with Craig Zinkievich, executive producer on the upcoming Trekkie MMORPG. Topics include progress on the game, how the closed beta is going, things they are still working on, player progression, ground versus space combat, and more. They also have some new Star Trek Online screenshots and there's a new clip showing space exploration from the game on FileFront, Gamer's Hell, and Strategy Informer.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 25, 2009, 14:53 ibm

Churn (c h u r n) out as in to make quickly, easily, repetitively. An old interview had a dev saying it was easy to make mmo's using the same engine. Short closed beta which has only 6 hours a week at the moment.

Ground combat which is about as good as running around in towns was in Auto Assault. Space combat which is fun the first few times then becomes clear it has zero tactics apart from flying alongside the target, concentrating fire and hitting shield equalisation and boost.

Shallow and dull after an hour with nothing but a long grind to get a new ship to look forward to.

Will be quite funny to see another failure of a great IP that ST is like SWG was after 6 months.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 14:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 25, 2009, 10:03 The Half Elf

Same engine 2 different teams.

And 2 MMO's isn't exactly "chumming out mmo's"

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 25, 2009, 06:44 ibm

They want it out the door at least 6 months before The Old Republic so people won't completely ignore it maybe?

Their excuse has been that it's the same engine that Champions uses so it's easy to churn mmo's out now. I don't think they're aiming at very high standards which is a shame.

8. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 25, 2009, 04:27 InBlack

Is it just me or has this game had like an extreemly short development cycle. (and yes I mean since development started at Cryptic, i dont count the previous failed itterations)

I have a nifty blue line!

7. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 25, 2009, 02:45 Kxmode

Most of Star Trek is about exploration, science and diplomacy.

"I swear if I hear one more 'live long and prosper' I'm going to blow up something!"

6. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 25, 2009, 01:31 .Drifter

Most of Star Trek is about exploration, science and diplomacy.
While exploration, science and diplomacy do make up a good bit of all the Star Trek series, you have to admit there is a lot of fighting going on too. And when it comes to making an online game, what's easier to make and what will attract the most players?
Quests about running around scanning objects, looking for clues, trying to find other places to scan, then getting in a long discussion with someone about who gets what you found and how to use it?
Or quests about getting in a space ship, scanning a few things, blowing a bunch of stuff up, and then beaming to a planet to blow some more stuff up?
In this case, if you want a better chance for continued success among a larger customer base (because not everyone is a Trek fan) you go with the action solution. It's also the easier one to make content for, since all you have to do is throw in another quest to get you to some more action.
In this case I think they are making a game that's a bit more like what a gamer would want to play. Just not a hard core Trek gamer.

5. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 25, 2009, 01:09 Kxmode

Right now we’ve set aside two and a half months of closed beta testing and two weeks for open beta testing.

Epic fail...again. Cryptic's modus operandi.

It's a stress test. Nothing more. Nothing less. They are not going to do ANYTHING to the game before launch.

4. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 25, 2009, 00:34 Cutter

We were thrilled to get the Star Trek license. Here at Cryptic we try to make games that we want would want to play

Maybe they should try making games that gamers would want to play.

Right now we’ve set aside two and a half months of closed beta testing and two weeks for open beta testing.

Epic fail...again. Cryptic's modus operandi.

Start with an attack on your starship in space – beam down to the planet to rescue some civilian caught in the crossfire. Beam back to a space station to recover stolen intelligence and end it with a climatic space battle for your escape. That’s what Episodic Content in STO is like.

Too bad that's not what it's like in Star Trek for the most part. Most of Star Trek is about exploration, science and diplomacy. That's the stuff people really want and what Cryptic will fail - as usual - to deliver.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

3. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 24, 2009, 23:46 The Half Elf

Well we just had 2 session bumped up to 3 hours, but still 2 days a week of 3 hours isn't alot, and Thursday session has been postponed due to this Turkey eating event.

As for the 'interview' it's complete and utter fluff.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

2. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 24, 2009, 20:58 Talisorn

I wish they'd open the beta up now. I could really use an MMOG to waste some time since work has slowed to a crawl.
Considering they only really just started closed beta only a month ago, you really don't want it go to Open Beta.

1. Re: Star Trek Online Interview Nov 24, 2009, 20:29 Hump

I wish they'd open the beta up now. I could really use an MMOG to waste some time since work has slowed to a crawl.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo