Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD

Serious Sam HD is now available for Windows as promised on Steam, offering an updated version of Croteam's wild-and-wooly first-person shooter. For Xbox 360 owners, word is their version will be released via Xbox LIVE Arcade in December, and here's word on the game:

Devolver Digital is thrilled to announce that Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter can now be downloaded for PC via Steam. For only $19.99, long-time Sam fans and newcomers alike will get to experience one of the most frantically intense first-person shooters of all time – now with gorgeously updated visuals.

Take control of Sam “Serious” Stone as he’s sent back in time to ancient Egypt to battle the hordes of the menacing Mental. With your wide arsenal of weapons at the ready, make your way across 15 levels of non-stop action either alone or with friends through online co-op play. Or, for the truly daring, total chaos can be unleashed by having up to 16 players battle together or against one another online.

If you have any questions about Serious Sam HD, the game’s history, or what to do when a swarm of screaming men with no heads and bombs for hands is charging you, feel free to contact me.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 25, 2009, 21:03 Prez

Maybe 'abrasive' would have been a better word...  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 25, 2009, 17:58 Krovven

I remember someone saying that the melee weapon behavior in L4D2 was going to be reused from a single item and he got torn a new one at the time but he was right,

Actually, "he" (whomever that is) wasn't right and he still isn't right and you arent right...all the melee weapons have different attributes, have different damage outputs and have different effects on the zombies. Or are you going to tell me that the baseball bat and frying pan both slice through torso's just like the katana does? Or that the guitar shreds bodies into pieces like the chainsaw does?

As for SSHD, it's no secret it's a direct remake of the first game, they aren't trying to pull a fast one. They have been very clear on what it is. But to say it's a direct copy and repackage, as some have suggested is completely false. But of course, those that try to correct the misinformation are the ones that get lambasted for being "defensive".

19. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 25, 2009, 09:40 Verno

Jesus, what is it with everyone being so defensive today?

People tend to get all weird when you question that their preferred developer might not have trudged uphill through snow barefoot to deliver their title I remember someone saying that the melee weapon behavior in L4D2 was going to be reused from a single item and he got torn a new one at the time but he was right, much like you are now Prez.

That said, it's a nostalgia purchase with some tweaks and the price tag is reasonable so I don't see it as a problem.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

18. Re: I love you, Sam! Nov 24, 2009, 22:28 Prez

Agreed. The zero-gravity room with the bouncing kleers and headless bomb dudes and 3 or 4 other players still has me playing with a stupid grin on my face even to this day!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. I love you, Sam! Nov 24, 2009, 22:13 Sphinx

The finest co-op shooter ever created by mankind.  
-Sphinx

16. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 24, 2009, 22:01 MuzixMon

I also realize they put a lot of work into it but it is esentially the same game, same trigger points and everything. I'm not complaining either it's just what the Doctor ordered after the abomination that was Painkiller Ressurection.
To be honest with you the original Serious Sam was a damn fine looking game with all the effects jacked up and when things are going balls to the wall fast you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the HD version and the one from 2000.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

15. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 24, 2009, 20:57 Prez

It's a lot of hard work, no matter how you want to try and marginalize it.

Who said it wasn't? But you have to admit, relative to coding a completely new game, it was less hard work. I'm not marginalizing anything; just pointing out that the original poster's assertion wasn't entirely off the mark.

Jesus, what is it with everyone being so defensive today?

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 20:58.

- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 24, 2009, 20:25 Krovven

Well to be fair, besides the most noticeable upgrade, the "HD" part, those are more fine tuning and refinements than anything major.

They may only be viewed as "fine tuning" to those that have never actually tried developing a game. It's a lot of hard work, no matter how you want to try and marginalize it. It's the Serious Engine 3, it's not like it's a cut & paste job to do all the coding, especially the multiplayer code.

13. Re: If 3DRealms Had A Brain In Their Head . Nov 24, 2009, 20:25 Prez

LOL @ your sig Dreagon. Now that I think about it, Oblivion did have a lot in common with deer hunter...

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 20:25.

- Mahatma Gandhi

12. If 3DRealms Had A Brain In Their Head . Nov 24, 2009, 20:14 Dreagon

they could done something like this and just put a couple of mapmakers and a coder or two on remaking Duke3D in the Unreal Engine while the rest worked on DNF. They would have raked in the money and still be in business.  
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

11. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 24, 2009, 20:10 Prez

You mean besides the redone artwork, lighting, models, environment effects, terrain (instead of flat planes), physics, 16 player coop that works (unlike the original that was laggy as hell), automatically finds games and Achievements. Yep...a complete rehash of the original.

Well to be fair, besides the most noticeable upgrade, the "HD" part, those are more fine tuning and refinements than anything major.

Then again, for some of us, a better looking Serious Sam FE is all it takes to float our boat. I know it is for me.

- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 24, 2009, 19:42 Prez

Is this game coming to retail? Or is it Steam only?

I've been wondering that for a while now too. Apparently it is a Steam exclusive.

- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 24, 2009, 19:36 Bucky

If they put together a bundle of The First and Second Encounter I'll be all over it. I can wait.  

8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 24, 2009, 19:28 Coolone

Is this game coming to retail? Or is it Steam only?  

7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 24, 2009, 19:09 nin

Opinions? I love First Encounter and was hoping this wasn't a port of the console version like I think SS2 was?

Thanks!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 24, 2009, 18:55 ibm

£17.99 here in UK  

5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 24, 2009, 18:24 Krovven

same sound bytes and everything.

You mean besides the redone artwork, lighting, models, environment effects, terrain (instead of flat planes), physics, 16 player coop that works (unlike the original that was laggy as hell), automatically finds games and Achievements. Yep...a complete rehash of the original.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 18:25.

4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 24, 2009, 18:16 MuzixMon

This is a complete rehash of the first game... same sound bytes and everything. DO NOT expect a re-do of the first game, it is the the first game with a nicer coat of paint. I'm not complaining since I can't even run Serious Sam 1 anymore so being able to play it again in HD is a treat.  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 24, 2009, 18:15 Flatline

I'm unsure if it includes First and Second, it's still a good deal even if it's just the 1st.

You're right, it's just the first encounter.

I enjoyed SE better. The set piece battles were more enjoyable. The extra weapons were fun too.

2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Serious Sam HD Nov 24, 2009, 18:10 Jedi Master

I'm unsure if it includes First and Second, it's still a good deal even if it's just the 1st.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo