Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo 3 Skill Trees Cut Down?

Hellforge has an article on Blizzard's reexamination of the skill trees in Diablo III, suggesting that skill trees are gone from the action/RPG sequel based on Twitter posts (thanks nin). A tweet from Friday says "We're implementing and will be testing a new system that changes how skills are acquired. That's all I'll say. :)" A tweet from yesterday follows up saying the trees are being "removed/changed," making it all sound up in the air: "With our tweet Friday about the skill trees being removed/changed, what approach do you think we might be taking?" Meanwhile, a new interview with Blizzard's Jay Wilson on Diablo Fans addresses this directly, saying trees have been replaced by "a purely skill-based system," though this still sounds subject to change:

About that, we've decided to remove the tree-type architecture and we are moving into a purely skill-based system. This new system is still in the development stages and if it does not work, we still have plenty of options to fall back on. Right now, we're just trying different things and getting a feel for the few ideas in regards to the skill system that we have going on right now. It differs from the World of Warcraft/Diablo II type hierarchical styles and is more of a skill pool/path than a tree per se.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 25, 2009, 07:37 Eldaron Imotholin

I think Blizzard should just shut the fuck up about D3 until they have something concrete.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 25, 2009, 02:43 Kxmode

"Aaaaand action...what you just want me to take a dump? Sure thing Tom...and make sure you turn enough for us to catch the wipe there..."

"You fail to understand Tom that we don't actually require you to take a real dump. Just go through the emotions. We'll add in CG-poop in post-production."

44. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 25, 2009, 00:49 Kxmode

On the bright side I haven't actually played Torchlight and I'll bet that it's a good, fun little game.

I am sure however that the shitty talent from Blizzard did in fact leave to pursure Hellgate: London.

You know, the game made by Diablo developers where it's boring to kill shit?

Yes and no. Yes, the Torchlight developers for the most part also made Hellgate: London. No, Torchlight is eons better than Hellgate: London. You know it when you play and next thing you know you've spent 4 hours playing it non-stop.

43. Re: Diablo 3 Skill Trees Cut? Nov 24, 2009, 19:31 Lit_Reflex001

Well said.

Change is needed but we'll just have to see what happens. I think that with things the way they are in the industry these days the entire project should be held in question until release.

Let's all just keep our fingers crossed.

And also buy L4D2 so that Valve can get the sales figures and recognition they deserve for making that game's gore so damned similar to a game that based its over-the-top gore on military authenticity (and yes, blowing someone's head off with a shotgun in L4D2 is a more satisfying experience than in SOF2. SOF2 is a game where you can compare the violence to real-world events and movies like Saving Private Ryan.).

People think over-the-top gore necessitates something from a Japanese samurai movie where blood will spray to the ceiling from a sword injury.

The reality is that real-world based gore is less intense but more shocking.

Arcade effects need to be added to compensate for certain things though.

For example, in SOF2 there was entry/exit wounds, arterial spray, decals, exit wound bleeding effects, and blood clouds. But it wasn't yet complete enough of an experience so they added "arcade-style" (arcade style as in this-would-never-happen-IRL hollywood phenomena) TINY LITTLE gib chunks that flew out of the entry wound for effect.

Otherwise it would have been like something was missing despite the facts.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 19:36.

42. Re: Diablo 3 Skill Trees Cut? Nov 24, 2009, 18:56 Dots

This might make sense, but we'll see. The problem with the original skill system Diablo 2 used is that many builds were left with a number of unlevelled active and passive skills you'd take just to reach the skills higher up the tree. A changed skill system might resolve that.
But of course I'd like to first see the final design of the skill system before I pass a final judgment.

41. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 24, 2009, 18:48 Lit_Reflex001

Hey, change for the better sounds good to me. I just don't want some simplifed version of what was once something interesting.

I think if they can do something new and rewarding that doesn't sacrifice anything is a good idea. I'm all for a skill system that keeps me playing and maybe tries something new from the grinding system.

I also think community feedback is a good thing but I worry that they might run with some bad advice. I haven't looked at the Twitter posts/responses, but I get the idea that they may be desperate to ensure D3 is as fun as a Diablo game should be.

They don't want to end up as another 3d-Realms; where you are a triple A developer expected to produce a triple A game and just can't seem to make ends meet.

" Even more so given the people behind Torchlight also created Diablo 1 and 2. If the team working on Diablo 3 did use Torchlight for inspiration then the original team is working on Diablo 3 via proxy

It comes full circle!"

True. Also sounds like a potential rift in the QA time-space continuum.

So much for garbage in, garbage out.

On the bright side I haven't actually played Torchlight and I'll bet that it's a good, fun little game.

I am sure however that the shitty talent from Blizzard did in fact leave to pursure Hellgate: London.

You know, the game made by Diablo developers where it's boring to kill shit?

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 18:57.

40. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 18:25 HellSlayer

hmm interesting Half elf,there was a similar system in DungeonSiege. I would love to see that as well, but at a higher level of control. For example, if I just wanted to use cold just enough to slow down people, and then use fire to finish them off.. cold would still benefit me later on at higher levels. I hate the fact that you have to go all or nothing in builds. Use some fire skills just for the dot and then use ice for the cold damage and then lightning for finishing them off(fatality). Each having their own benefits. This can really get complicated, but can you imagine how cool that will be. o.O I should have gotn into game design:(  
o0

39. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 17:23 The Half Elf

It could also mean that say you made a mage and you start off with 3 base attack spells (lightning, fire, ice) and you use the ice one enough that it would unlock the next step (or upgrade) of that spell, and if you kept up with ice spells could get a Frost Nova type spell.

Honestly I would love to see this system, as I could really personalize characters to my play style rather then have to pick and choose from a skill tree, and take abilities/spells/whatever that I want.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

38. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 17:01 HellSlayer

This is good news!:)> Be cool if they used the skill tree system as a secondary skill set. Have some cool new way of giving ultimate power to our chars for our main powers!:)> muhahahahah hmmmm really, not sure how they would do it.

I just read the rules and I agree with them..but the using of the word "homophobic" makes me wonder about the people that is in leadership here. That word comes from a belief that certain individuals are afraid of homosexual people. I have never been afraid of homosexual people. I just know it is wrong like any other sin. When people hang onto their sexual life style to the point of exposing it to the whole world...well you must have a weak life in mho. I appreciate the warning instead of the right out ban though.

o0

37. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 24, 2009, 16:36 NobleAtreides

This just in! Gotta I don't know what's worse, Twilight Saga movie complainers, or Tweeters LOVE Twitter!

Blizzard has measured the current D3 stash size, and because new holographic videocards will come out sometime in 2018 with the release of D3 chapter 1 of 10, they are now scrapping the backback to add 3 more pixels cubed all around! Stay tuned!

36. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 24, 2009, 16:29 Cutter

Skill based system? No thanks. Let me decide what kind of build I want, kthnx.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

35. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 24, 2009, 16:28 Krovven

Exactly Warrax. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last Torchlight inspired feature.

Oh please. They have been talking about changing the way the tree/skill system works for months. It has been discussed on Blues News already, there are at least a couple interviews stating they were already trying different things.

34. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 24, 2009, 15:42 Undocumented Alien

It sucks having to put points into shitty skills just so you can get good skills later.

This.

33. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 24, 2009, 15:16 Kxmode

The circle is now complete. When they left you Blizzard, they were but the learner; now *THEY* are the master.*

*apologies to Star Wars

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 15:17.

32. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 24, 2009, 15:14 Verno

Even more so given the people behind Torchlight also created Diablo 1 and 2. If the team working on Diablo 3 did use Torchlight for inspiration then the original team is working on Diablo 3 via proxy

It comes full circle!

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

31. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 24, 2009, 14:48 derelict koan

anticipated game still in early design phases, film at 11.

lol...gold...failure to understand this Twitter process is clearly the first sign of my eventual senility...it puts me in mind of what it would be like to include characters going to the toilet in movies.

"Aaaaand action...what you just want me to take a dump? Sure thing Tom...and make sure you turn enough for us to catch the wipe there..."

www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

30. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 24, 2009, 14:46 Kxmode

This seems exactly like Torchlight, funny how they implement this 3 weeks after TL was released

The irony in this post is intentional I hope, given that 90% of the Torchlight game is inspired by Diablo

Even more so given the people behind Torchlight also created Diablo 1 and 2. If the team working on Diablo 3 did use Torchlight for inspiration then the original team is working on Diablo 3 via proxy.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 15:06.

29. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 24, 2009, 14:45 Cram

I don't mind having skill trees cut. They weren't in the first game, and that didn't the game any less enjoyable. With the introduction of synergies, and the fact that a lot of players never bothered spending their skill points till they had enough to complete an entire build, it shows that the skill tree system was far from perfect in Diablo2 anyway. I often saw the game as a giant grind for skill points, and nothing else. For me, this is welcome news. For those raging, you're providing me with a good laugh.  

28. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 24, 2009, 14:43 Verno

I think posting on these forums period pretty much makes most of us nerds.

They better not water down their game so that all the noobs out there can handle it.

THIS IS THE GOD DAMNED PC JESUS CHRIST. WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR STUPID CONSOLE BULLSHIT.

Blizzard games are difficult?

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 14:44.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

27. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 24, 2009, 14:32 xXBatmanXx

oh noes!!! Let the nerd rage begin!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo