Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis

cdv announces Divinity II – Ego Draconis is gold, and Larian Studios' action/RPG sequel is due for Windows PCs and Xbox 360 on January 5. Here's word on the game:

The sequel to the critically acclaimed action-RPG Divine Divinity, Divinity II - Ego Draconis transports players back to the wide-open, war-torn world of Rivellon where they’ll learn to read minds, plunder dungeons and ultimately learn to morph into a playable dragon at will. Developed by Larian Studios, Divinity II boasts a robust adventure with more than 60 hours of gameplay, teeming with massive dungeons and outdoor spaces to explore, deep on-the-ground and aerial combat and an intrigue to unravel that could unveil hidden truths and revive forgotten evils that will change the face of Rivellon forever.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 26, 2009, 05:50 Jonny

It's fun enough, and a lot better than the first game, but my point was that any other game I would have finished before even starting another one. Divinity 2, just kind of ran out of steam. I'll probably finish it later, but I don't have any burning desire to see it through to the end. It's the first RPG or action/RPG thats ever happened with, and I've played a lot of them all the way back to Ultima VII when I was a lad.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 25, 2009, 07:49 Eldaron Imotholin

I suppose the ultimate thing to say about Divinity 2 is that I usually sit down and play new games from start to finish for the story, like a book or a movie, before moving on to another. However halfway through the chapter after becoming a dragon I got distracted by Assassin's Creed 2.

I don't want to sound like a bitch, but that says more about you than about Divinity 2.

I mean... Assassin's Creed 2? Duuuuude....

..or maybe I'm just the only one that doesn't understand the hype. Assassin's Creed was fuckboring because you needed to do the same sidequests over and over again to unlock the assassination mission, and the whole game had nothing to do with 'assassination'. Just brutal slaughtering. You could literally have the entire city fighting you and you'd still come out the victor. In Assassin's Creed 2 they even spend MORE time on the slaughter part and added... like, 4 or 5 more eventually fuckboring sidequests. Good show.... really innovative. /puke

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

18. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 25, 2009, 04:43 Jonny

And to the technical issues:
Doesn't the latest patch (1.02, i think) work for you regarding the skipping of animations? They specifically added an option to turn that off - it ran quite good for me after 1.02.
Oh, and for tearing (from missing VSync): D3DOverrider is your friend. :)

Thanks mate I'll have a look for D3DOverrider. I got the UK version when it came out last Friday, and although it is supposed to contain the fixes in German 1.02 after a quick root about their forums it apparently doesn't contain the fix for the skipping, which is going to be in a 1.03 patch.

Is this "play as an actual dragon" at all as cool as it sounds?

It's fun, but not as awesome as it sounds. While leaping off a cliff and turning into a dragon halfway down is pretty cool, the level design gains an artificial "pandering to the game mechanic" feel. The mechanic in this case being that ground enemies disappear when you turn into your draconic alter ego, so the bit I'm in right now is all knife-edge cliffs and magic "anti-dragon" zones that force you to fly about but then change back into a human to do anything.

I suppose the ultimate thing to say about Divinity 2 is that I usually sit down and play new games from start to finish for the story, like a book or a movie, before moving on to another. However halfway through the chapter after becoming a dragon I got distracted by Assassin's Creed 2.

17. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 25, 2009, 02:41 Jerykk

I think my biggest complaint though is not enough information is given in your quest log on where or what to do on quests.

Sounds good to me. I hate handholding. It makes it feel like less of a quest and more of a choir. I much prefer Fallout-style quests. "Find a water chip. Good luck!" Fallout actually felt like an adventure because I actually had to look for something instead of being told exactly where to find it.

16. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 25, 2009, 00:36 Paranoid Jack

I never bought the first one or even gave it much thought... and yes, it was the stupid name. But this one I will most likely pick up sooner or later. I'm milking DA:O and still have yet to crack the shrink wrap on both Uncharted 2 and AC2. Going to be a busy gaming holiday season.  

15. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 24, 2009, 22:05 Prez

True confession - the name completely turned me off from ever trying it. Divine Divinity is probably the most stupid name for a game I've ever heard. Well, besides "Dofus" anyway...  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 24, 2009, 21:48 Cram

"Many Gamers skipped the redundantly-named "Divine Divinity", believing that it sucked succulently."

Heh. Funny yeah, but sad too because it is true. I wish a hell of a lot more people played the game in North America. Probably wouldn't have taken so long for a sequel had it been more successful.

Despite the reported problems with D2, even with the new patches and other small gripes with the game, I can't wait to have a go with it.

13. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 24, 2009, 21:39 Prez

Best comment on Divine Divinity I ever read.

"Many Gamers skipped the redundantly-named "Divine Divinity", believing that it sucked succulently."

Greg Vederman, PC Gamer.

That one still makes me smile.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 24, 2009, 20:39 Xero

I'm mixed about the game. I haven't gotten that far yet, but I feel like I've played a lot. Not even dragon form yet except for a minor opportunity that was part of the story. The graphics range from boring to amazing at times. The music is outstanding. Voice acting varies throughout. It feels a lot like an MMO the way the quests are given and rewarded. Not to mention the interface is similar. I think my biggest complaint though is not enough information is given in your quest log on where or what to do on quests. I'm lost on the majority of my quests and feel like I'm currently playing blind. I went quite some ways in a direction and now I feel like I have no idea where I'm going or what to do. Hopefully once I get back on track things get good again because the story is really immersive.  

Currently playing: Skyrim

11. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 24, 2009, 20:15 eRe4s3r

Thats the one i got .. So not Europe wide then.. i thought at least French would have been done besides German.. i guess this one of the rare cases were Germans not only got the game first, but got great voice acting as well

And its certainly one of the better rpg's this year imo.. flying around as dragon was pretty cool ;p

Too bad there aren't more rpgs that implement new Gameplay like that - Dragon Age was great, but didn't really do anything new.. ;/

10. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 24, 2009, 18:27 space captain

btw - im looking forward to this.. big fan of DD here, so i have an idea what this will be shooting for and im down like leroy brown

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 18:27.

Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 24, 2009, 18:25 space captain

there is a UK ver  
Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 24, 2009, 17:37 Talisorn

Out of curiosity, how have you guys already played it if it's not in stores for another month?
It came out in Oz last week. It's not bad, but it's not a patch on DA:O which is what is currently absorbing my time. I think it compares favorably to Risen, which I enjoyed ... except for the Mario/Zelda ending. (ARGH!!)

7. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 24, 2009, 17:12 PHJF

I thought the only version that's been out has been the German version.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 24, 2009, 16:11 eRe4s3r

games been out in europe for 2 months now  

5. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 24, 2009, 16:05 space captain

euro version is out (and cracked)  
Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 24, 2009, 15:46 Creston

Out of curiosity, how have you guys already played it if it's not in stores for another month? Don't tell me it's been cracked already?

Is this "play as an actual dragon" at all as cool as it sounds?

Creston

3. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis Nov 24, 2009, 14:32 DaHauns

If there's one thing (ok, two things) that this game does better than Risen, that's providing a well told story and lot of (meaningful) stuff happening. A lot of interesting sidequests and things to do and explore. A very rich experience, it all feels wonderfully handcrafted most of the time, very seldom generic.

It might get a bit repetitive during a certain phase later in the games, the three dragon islands are a lot of the same stuff
(aerial combat, land, kill enemies, loot chests in rather samey environment),
but this part shouldn't be overly long - as long you cut to the chase and aren't as obsessive as me in finding _ALL_ the armor sets and killing every last mob in the areas.

Even if i still prefer the world design itself in Risen (PB are still king in that regard for me), I found Ego Draconis to be the more enjoyable game overall, by a fair margin.

And to the technical issues:
Doesn't the latest patch (1.02, i think) work for you regarding the skipping of animations? They specifically added an option to turn that off - it ran quite good for me after 1.02.
Oh, and for tearing (from missing VSync): D3DOverrider is your friend.

2. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis<br> Nov 24, 2009, 12:02 Wowbagger_TIP

Wow. That sounds... really annoying. After playing through about 2/3 of Risen, I got tired of it. Nothing new or interesting was happening and the story wasn't good enough to keep me going either. Combat and such was largely the same most of the time. Not sure if this game would be any better.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

1. Re: Gold - Divinity II – Ego Draconis<br> Nov 24, 2009, 10:29 Jonny

It's a good enough game, some silly accents and odd looking character models aside. The only real problems I've found so far is the screen tearing and enemy animations skipping frames which I've not managed to stop so far. I think it's something to do with my 4870X2. Altogether it's far more Risen and Gothic than it is Oblivion or Dragon Age.

Be aware though, when you're in the first act the game badgers you to move forward (literally, you have an annoying voice which disapproves when you sidequest) but when you've completed what it's hassling you to do all the previous sidequests become unavailable as part of the story.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo