Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 25, 2009, 08:58 Verno

Sorry, but my version doesn't come out for some months yet so all I have to go on is the hundreds and hundreds of gameplay videos and reviews.

Well if you're going by those then you'd be out buying a copy right now considering the lavish press it's deservedly getting.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 20:30 Cutter

Just rent it, Bats. I could see myself playing through it again once more, but that would be it, so even renting it twice would still be cheaper than waiting for a used copy to hit the 20 dollar range in 2 years. It really is a brilliant game.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 19:36 the_culture

Based on everyone's comments (yes, even the negative ones), I went ahead and picked it up for the PS3.

Yeah, that's how awesome I am!

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 18:41 xXBatmanXx

Cool - from teh comments of those who have played it - I eagerly away a sub 30.00 xbox version.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 18:16 Yosemite Sam

I'll give a thumbs up to AC2 too, bigger better badder, everything I liked about the first one plus a whole lot more. One problem, though not as bad as AC, is that you gain abilitys as you proceed through the game, so you have to play a good 15 hours or so before most of your talents are unlocked. As for those abilities... a whole lot more then AC... dont want to spoil anything but just as an example... the grab move from AC, you grabbed someone and could throw them, now you can throw them, headbutt them, punch them, kick them or gut them. A nice thouch is the whole addition of a wanted level system and a means of lowering that level, bonus if your not wanted then you can freely run around town now without getting into trouble... also added to the game is some real nice puzzle type missions.

EDIT forgot about the whole history part of the game, very neat, as you get paintings, meet people or see buildings in the world they give you a true IRL historical rundown of said person place or thing.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 18:21.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 18:11 Prez

I eagerly await Assassin's Creed 3.

As a PC gamer, I eagerly await Assassin's Creed 2.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 17:39 The Half Elf

For Once (;P) I have to agree with Verno, the game is VERY well done, they addressed all the issues of the first game, and even the weapons you decide to use have different stats (blocking, speed, damage) so you could take a very fast, heavy damage dagger with horrible blocking for example and this applies to all weapons, with exception of one.

And probably one of the best ending credits in a game to date

I eagerly await Assassin's Creed 3.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 17:19 PHJF

You haven't played it.

If you want to make up your mind about a game, decide it's crap, and then find any piece of information that supports the opinion you already formed then you can do that with basically anything. You still haven't played it.

Try it out. You might like it. You might not, too, but at least then your opinion would be your own and might be worth something.

Sorry, but my version doesn't come out for some months yet so all I have to go on is the hundreds and hundreds of gameplay videos and reviews.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 17:02 The PC Warrior

im with you eraser, no way im paying for this game if they wanna make me wait 5 months.  

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 16:34 Cutter

Agreed all. The original Ass Creed got repetitive/boring real fast. I'm really blown away by how much better Ass Creed 2 is. I love the story and the history. I'd have to say that Brutal Legend and Ass Creed 2 are my favourite games of the year so far.  

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 15:48 eRe4s3r

I am guessing not buying it until it hits bargain bin is a sufficient punishment  

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 14:56 PropheT

But gee golly gosh, AC2 sure is shiny.

You haven't played it.

If you want to make up your mind about a game, decide it's crap, and then find any piece of information that supports the opinion you already formed then you can do that with basically anything. You still haven't played it.

Try it out. You might like it. You might not, too, but at least then your opinion would be your own and might be worth something.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 14:47 ASJD

Just wanted to pop in and say AC2 is indeed an amazing game on 360. So much added depth, more engrossing storyline, more interesting visuals...  

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 14:03 Creston

I was really on the fence but it was on sale down here so I grabbed it. Really shocked at how good the game turned out.

That sounds pretty awesome. Thanks Verno.

Creston

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 13:54 Verno

To be fair, much of the early game is like AC1 but you encounter agiles/brutes and more later on which shakes things up. You don't have to stand around holding counter, you can fight unarmed and steal your opponents weapons as an example. You can not fight at all and simply flee using smokebombs or dodges if you want, there are very few forced fights in the game.

But yes, the combat is probably the least overhauled mechanic in the game. If you are hoping for a combat revolution from AC1 then you'll be disappointed. There is a lot more variety and options to combat now though.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 13:50 PHJF

They've added a lot of content but did they address the fundamental shallowness of the original's gameplay? Does combat still consist of holding down Block and pressing Counter when enemies attack? Do enemies still attack one at a time? Are the actual assassinations still extremely linear? Does "stealth" still consist of holding down the Stealth button while walking past guards or hiding in arbitrarily placed hiding spots? Is platforming still completely automated and performed by holding down two buttons?

According to the grametrailers review, yes on every account. Of course then they went on to giving it 9.2 anyways, so what the fuck do they know? They specifically questioned whether AC2 was simply what AC1 should have been, declared throughout the review that yes AC2 was basically just what AC1 should have been, and then gave it a ridiculously high "score" anyways. All the gameplay footage they showed was identical to AC1 except in a different setting.

Christ, watch this video.

http://www.msxbox-world.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15859

Pretty much sums it up. Combat is nothing but the player character automatically performing whimsical and thoroughly overlong fatality animations while groups of enemies stand idly by apparently either too entertained or too mortified to bother attacking.

But gee golly gosh, AC2 sure is shiny.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 12:44 Verno

They've added a lot of content but did they address the fundamental shallowness of the original's gameplay?

In my opinion, yes.

Does combat still consist of holding down Block and pressing Counter when enemies attack?

No, you have a lot of options for combat and your enemies are more varied this time. The early weak enemies can be played like this but as you progress so do the enemy types and the frequency you encounter them.

Do enemies still attack one at a time?

No, you will take hits often if you just wait around for one target to attack. If you're surrounded by guards they don't all attack simultaneously because that would simply be unfair but you're never completely safe either.

Are the actual assassinations still extremely linear?

I've only done 4 of them so far but I did three of them completely in stealth.

Does "stealth" still consist of holding down the Stealth button while walking past guards or hiding in arbitrarily placed hiding spots?

Stealth ties partially into the notoriety system in this game. How notorious you are will help determine how suspicious the guards become in your presence. You can hide in crowds, on benches and so on. You can also hire gangs or prostitutes to create distractions for you. The game has special enemy archetypes that look in hiding spots so you can't rely on them as a crutch however. There is no shadow based stealth play if that was your real question.

Is platforming still completely automated and performed by holding down two buttons?

Yes, though in this game you are required to put a lot more thought into where exactly you are directing your character. It contains more difficult precision jumps and some of the big tower climbs can be challenging.

If you want more information then I'd suggest playing it at a local store's kiosk display.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 12:46.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 12:33 Prez

The delay for the PC version is ridiculous.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 12:30 Jerykk

I'll try to sum up what they added:

- player owned town with income
- monetary system for purchasing items
- healing items, weapons, armor
- lootable corpses including weapons and money
- Larger zones
- Better fast travel system
- Reduced combat frequency

They've added a lot of content but did they address the fundamental shallowness of the original's gameplay? Does combat still consist of holding down Block and pressing Counter when enemies attack? Do enemies still attack one at a time? Are the actual assassinations still extremely linear? Does "stealth" still consist of holding down the Stealth button while walking past guards or hiding in arbitrarily placed hiding spots? Is platforming still completely automated and performed by holding down two buttons?

Please stop buying console games on the PC. You're literally killing the platform.

I disagree. If you only buy games for the PC and don't buy/rent them for consoles, that sends a much better message than not buying them. Renting console games doesn't help PC gaming at all. It just supports console gaming.

Buying this game on a console would at least not reward companies who do this.

Um, it does reward them. You're giving them your money and reinforcing their belief that consoles are where the money's at. Buying more console games will only result in more ports for the PC.

Ironically the first game wasn't worth it's retail price on the PC despite being released at the same time.

The first AC PC wasn't released at the same time as the console versions. It was released about 5 months later. Then Ubisoft acted so surprised that it didn't sell very well. It's going to be the exact same situation with AC2. Delayed ports simply don't sell well. This is firmly established yet publishers continue to do it and then act surprised when sales don't measure up. They need to have a dedicated PC team throughout the project to ensure a simultaneous launch.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 12:38.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 24, 2009, 12:28 Tumbler

Bla bla , where is the PC version, oh thats right - delayed... to 15th Feb 2010
So its a SP game, and it shuns PC players... bargain bin

Not gonna pay full-price for a , when it comes to PC, old game.

Just FYI, a console version can be rented for approx $10 fairly easily, it won't lock you into ownership for life, it won't be custom built for another platform, and in general will receive the best the developer has to offer.

By comparison the PC version will be an after thought, will cost $50+, will lock you into ownership for life and if you do something that the company doesn't like, such as buying it outside your region, they'll disable the game permanently.

Please stop buying console games on the PC. You're literally killing the platform. They rip the value out of products and sell them at MUCH higher prices and PC enthusiasts can't seem to grasp how destructive this is to the platform.

Buying this game on a console would at least not reward companies who do this. Buy from companies like Blizzard or Stardock that at least make PC specific games. I'm sure Starcraft 2 will have some online activation but at least it's a PC game in the first place.

Why do people buy this stuff on PC's? You think your supporting PC's this way!? It is offensive the products they are trying to sell today for the PC. (really the limitations imposed on those products)

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo