Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 25, 2009, 09:00 LittleMe

2) The power usage required is starting to go beyond PCIe specifications.

It'll be interesting to see how AMD and Nvidia tackle these issues.

The problem isn't so much with ATI/nV but with PSU manufacturers because users experience instability when their PSU's are overstressed.

As far as ATI and nV are concerned, I believe the power concerns has been tackled with 8 and 6 pin connectors. But as far as PSU manufacturers go, they should adopt some sort of communication system (USB?) with the OS so that any power problems can be communicated so that the video card can be dynamically underclocked to maintain system stability.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 09:01.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 25, 2009, 08:50 LittleMe

Having everything powered off of the PCIe bus is, imo, only a matter of convenience. Requiring a high amount of amps going through the motherboard is a bad idea for most people/computers because then people are buying over powered (electrically speaking) PSU's and computers. Best to power vid cards directly from the PSU as is being done.

In my opinion, with cards like the 5970, the video card should take center stage in the PC architecture. Or alternately, I think ATI should have made it a 3 slot card so it could be shorter. Requiring wider three-spaced PCIe slots for a dual 5970 setup is reasonable considering a two card 5970 system would be extremely rare.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 08:51.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 25, 2009, 03:46 NKD

Now it's actually starting to exceed the 300 watts that's the upper limit for the bus?

Some cards could get, theoretically, enough juice from a PCIe 2.0 slot, since those are rated for higher amperage draw. But the cards are designed to be backwards compatible with 1.0/1.1 slots, which provide less juice. So they still use the power connectors.

Also note that the spec for a PCIe 2.0 slot itself is only something like 75watts, then 75 watts for a 6 pin connector and another 150 over an 8 pin.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 03:52.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2009, 17:26 Creston

From a slot perspective, the power usage has gone beyond PCIe for a long time. Any card needing additional power connections is technically beyond the PCIe specs.

That was from the voltage side, though, right? The bus can't deliver enough amps through the bus, so it's better to draw it directly from the 12V rail on your PSU.

Now it's actually starting to exceed the 300 watts that's the upper limit for the bus?

/not an electrician.

Creston

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2009, 15:35 wtf_man

From a slot perspective, the power usage has gone beyond PCIe for a long time. Any card needing additional power connections is technically beyond the PCIe specs.

Dual 6-pin connectors was bad enough.
6-pin + 8-pin is getting stupid.
I guess Dual 8-pin is next, with a 1500 watt PS.

I think my fricken Hot-Tub uses less power to maintain the heat all day.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2009, 15:15 Verno

I don't know, my drive cage isn't looking too stylish with the hack job I had to do on it  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2009, 14:58 Creston

That's not a problem, that's called "style"

Creston

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2009, 14:55 Verno

3) The bloody cards are getting so big that people need to bust out the dremel just to fit them in non-server cases  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 24, 2009, 14:31 Creston

That 5890 overclocking article is raising some very interesting graphics cards issues.

1) We've come to the point where these cards can no longer be adequately cooled with the current solutions.

It'll be interesting to see how AMD and Nvidia tackle these issues.

Creston

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo