Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Warlords Battlecry III and Impulse Follow-up

Stardock boss Brad Wardell follows up on yesterday's story about a complaint about Warlords Battlecry III purchased on Impulse not working properly. On further investigation, they have found the problem, and have replaced the version of the game on Impulse with a patched version that addresses the problem and adds some new content. Here's word:

As mentioned yesterday, the Consumerist never contacted Stardock or the game’s publisher Enlight about it. When I got your email I asked our Director of Publishing about it who reported what Enlight had told them.

However, I tried t he game myself and while the game does work, the random function is broken. This initially had been believed to be an issue on Vista and Windows 7 but it happens on Windows XP. Further investigation led us to discover that the latest official version of the game has this problem and that it is caused because when the developer removed SecuRom from the game a few years ago it triggered this.

We informed Enlight of this problem and they told us they were unaware of this issue and gave us the okay to find a way to fix the issue for Impulse customers. To that end, this evening we released an update to Warlords Battlecry 3 that incorporates a host of updates that were created by fans of the game.

In addition to addressing the problem mentioned on the forums it also adds:

- New Ogre playable faction
- New Goblin playable faction
- New Dragon playable faction
- 24 new Hero avatars
- Ships added for each race
- New terrain mini pack
- Four new Campaign locations on the world map
- New Event conditions
- New Hero classes: Tyrant, Horde Master, Dwarf Master, Wizard
- New Magic Spheres: Time Magic, Goblin Magic, Light Magic, Dwarf Magic - Lots of new skills for new items
- Three new Lair types
- 236 new Hero Portraits

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Warlords Battlecry III and Impulse Follow-up Dec 5, 2009, 23:45 ahatch

I am the programmer behind the above listed things. I was not contacted by anyone regarding the work above mentioned being used in a patch update for Impulse.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2009, 19:53.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Warlords Battlecry III and Impulse Follow-up Nov 21, 2009, 12:40 ColoradoHoudini

Back in the day, I much preferred this game over the Warcraft series. Much better hero units, way more units, native defenses, lots of skills/power ups.. the retinue.. and taking your hero from campaign to skirmish..
I'd throw $35 at a sequel without hesitation.

6. Re: Warlords Battlecry III and Impulse Follow-up Nov 21, 2009, 00:19 Prez

LOL! It's funny how different people can view the same situation in 2 completely different ways!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Warlords Battlecry III and Impulse Follow-up Nov 21, 2009, 00:18 nin

I read through the new posts on QT3 since yesterday and saw the "final" statement from Brad, but the thing that struck me is how generally hostile that forum is. It makes Bluesnews look like Romper Room.

I was going to say the opposite, based on some of the threads around here...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Warlords Battlecry III and Impulse Follow-up Nov 21, 2009, 00:14 Prez

I read through the new posts on QT3 since yesterday and saw the "final" statement from Brad, but the thing that struck me is how generally hostile that forum is. It makes Bluesnews look like Romper Room.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Warlords Battlecry III and Impulse Follow-up Nov 20, 2009, 23:59 nin

Well, he has apologized over in the QtT thread, which was both welcome and nice.

I understand he can't be informed on every single issue in the company. I also understand, but disagree with his viewpoint that he is the seller, and not responsible for the code.

But I wish he would have gotten the facts before he posted, as his initial comments seemed dismissive. Having said that, I can understand his perspective, based on his comment of "My initial instinct was/is to trust my guys over "angry Internet guy" because so often, angry internet guy is wrong".

It could have been handled better, but he's also making an effort to correct the issue and turn things around.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Warlords Battlecry III and Impulse Follow-up Nov 20, 2009, 23:43 Prez

I had taken BW up on his offer to buy it and check for the bug with a promised refund in the event it did in fact happen, but hadn't gotten around to trying it. Looks like it's a moot point now, but this can only be classified as a PR failure for Stardock, assuming the story that this was first reported in February is true.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Warlords Battlecry III and Impulse Follow-up Nov 20, 2009, 22:31 Grendle

Cool.

At least they try to fix the problem. Too bad it took this long.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo