Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors

An article on latimes.com about the blockbuster launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 concludes with word that a third team is now making Call of Duty games and another mention of possible MMO plans for the military shooter series:

As Activision seems to be discovering this year with Guitar Hero, there's danger when a title is overexposed with too many iterations. Nonetheless, the publisher has aggressive expansion plans for Call of Duty. Although Infinity Ward and Treyarch have produced sequels in alternating years since 2005, the publisher now has a third development studio working on future versions.

One person close to the company said it also was considering adapting Call of Duty as a massively multi-player online world. The genre, in which Activision's Blizzard Entertainment subsidiary is a leader, requires huge upfront investments but can be very profitable as players pay a monthly subscription fee.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Creston Nov 19, 2009, 14:12 Zephalephelah

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 19, 2009, 14:14.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Creston Nov 19, 2009, 12:19 Zephalephelah

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Nov 19, 2009, 12:25.

19. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 19, 2009, 09:55 Lincolns Mullet

Most of you probably never heard of, or have long since written off the MMO Battleground Europe (Formerly WWII Online). I was in the beta back in 2000 and play off and on still. Say what you will of it, but it has a hardcore user base and delivers one of the most satisfying wargame experiences on the market. That being said there is definitely room for a major FPS MMO, and whatever one may think of BE there are thousands of lessons to be learned from the failures and successes of that game. I would love to see a new FPS MMO that could take what BE has developed into, and kick it into the level of polish that IW has crafted. A CoD MMO would also benefit more by turning the clock back to WW2 to offer the sort of high-level strategy and theater-wide combat that BE currently provides.  

18. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 19, 2009, 05:31 InBlack

The probloem with making a high profile modern action military MMO (apart from the high development costs) is how to make it appeal to girls....

Oh and Fuck Bobby Kotick +999999

I have a nifty blue line!

17. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 19, 2009, 02:13 Gdiguy

Yeah, I don't think there's really a question that eventually someone will make an extremely well done, fun, polished FPS MMO and make WoW-like money; they might as well see if they can come up with anything. Obviously "CoD4 with monthly payments!" is going to get laughed at (I hope to god), but there's a wide open space there

The problem is that the road is littered with garbage that loses money hand over fist, so we'll see

16. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 19, 2009, 02:01 RazorWynd

oh no cod is overused and they are milking itohnowaaaah

too bad you all bought and played it you dumb fucks

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

15. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 19, 2009, 01:37 NKD

And these guys wonder how they always lose money on dumb shit. COD MOG? No...just no.

You don't think there's room for a high production value military MMO?

Personally, I'd love to see something like that.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

14. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 19, 2009, 01:33 Cutter

And these guys wonder how they always lose money on dumb shit. COD MOG? No...just no.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

13. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 18, 2009, 23:52 Kxmode

If they're talking about COD MMO like WWII Online that's huge, but if it's basically a bunch of mods and maps... then... well you know.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2009, 23:52.

12. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 18, 2009, 22:39 Rhett

"Fuck Bobby Kotick"

Signed,

Rhett

(+1 Internet to Paketep)

Lets make a thread dedicated to this wonderful phrase!

11. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 18, 2009, 21:40 Creston

Sigh.

Creston

10. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 18, 2009, 21:26 Paketep

Oh, god. It's worse every day.

I think I'm just going to post "fuck Bobby Kotick" and save time.

9. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 18, 2009, 21:26 Dr. D. Schreber

I can't imagine a CoD MMO would be anything but related to the existing games in name only. You can't believably have any kind of free-roaming when your characters are in the military. I'd bet on it being set twenty years from now and every player-character works for a PMC.

MAG is beating them to this, really.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

8. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 18, 2009, 21:25 Kosumo

Minesweeper MMO for the win!  

7. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 18, 2009, 21:23 DangerDog

A quake engine based MMO? I guess it could work.

6. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 18, 2009, 21:15 Hump

I think Battlefield is far more appropriate than CoD for the MMO treatment. IW said they prefer to keep CoD infantry based. If your going to have a military sim ya gotta have combined arms combat.

I've said it before but one company that was in a perfect position to expand their franchise into an MMO and already had the tech was Novalogic with Joint Ops. Unfortunately they are rumored to be one of the biggest tightwads in the dev/publishing industry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

5. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 18, 2009, 21:09 tony

The teat on Call of Duty's cow is growing long, getting wrinkled, and red with irritation from over use.  

4. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 18, 2009, 21:06 NKD

Oh boy the crying is going to be furious in this thread. I'll get my mop and bucket.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

3. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 18, 2009, 20:59 Kosumo

I heard they are already testing their MMO for 8 years now, you may know it as the War on Terror.

edit to add this funny link - http://www.theonion.com/content/video/ultra_realistic_modern_warfare

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2009, 21:23.

2. Re: Third Call of Duty Team and MMO Rumors Nov 18, 2009, 20:53 LIQUID-SEX

Awsome a CoD MMO, what's it gonna be, 20 people per server? lol Gonna be hard on the poor bastard that's picked as the poor random listen server lol.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo