Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Supreme Commander 2 in Spring

Square Enix announces a spring 2010 release window for Supreme Commander 2 in PAL territories for both Windows and Xbox 360. A batch of new screenshots from Gas-Powered Games' real-time strategy sequel accompany the announcement, and there's a graphics and units walkthrough trailer on GameTrailers. Here's a bit:

SUPREME COMMANDER 2 is the next installment in the award-winning SUPREME COMMANDER franchise, set 25 years further into the future. Featuring numerous game enhancements, an in-depth campaign mode, online multiplayer and a unique storyline, the game represents a new dimension in RTS gaming.

Boasting intense battles on a massive scale, players will wage war, creating enormous customizable armies and experimental war machines that can change the balance of power at any given moment. Assume the role of one of the three enigmatic commanders, each representing a unique faction with a rich story that brings a new level of emotional connection to the RTS genre.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Supreme Commander 2 in Spring Nov 19, 2009, 08:37 Armengar

I saw that 360 reference too. Hmm. 100 unit cap?  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Supreme Commander 2 in Spring Nov 19, 2009, 08:04 Muscular Beaver

...for both Windows and Xbox 360...

Uh oh...

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

12. Re: Supreme Commander 2 in Spring Nov 19, 2009, 01:19 eRe4s3r

In Skirmish the AI knows your every move without having to scout you (same problem as in TA by the way ,p) - in the Campaign its all scripted so thats not even AI at work....

And here is why the AI is broken, the ai doesn't understand terrain - and the result is that you get cannons shooting INFINITELY into a hill that occludes a single unit, while your close combat stuff moves up and pummels the turret to death. This also why calculating every shot sounds smart - until you realize you have to make every unit and every turret understand when a shot is not physically able to hit a target - this means you need trajectory simulations - and those aren't exactly "easy" or "quick" to do for 1000+ units. So this is why you see turrets shooting into rocks at targets they can never hit instead of OVER rocks at things they could hit.

I really hope they can fix that - because nothing is more stupid than having all of your defenses shoot in a molehill evelation that you couldn't possibly see when building them. Since the game does not display "line of fire + occlusion" like realistic ww2 games, building defenses that are not terrain blocked is basically "luck".

Of course this applies not only to turrets

11. Re: Supreme Commander 2 in Spring Nov 18, 2009, 23:47 LittleMe

That GT vid looks quite good. I thought GPG outsourced SC2 development so that dashed my hopes, but maybe they'll succeed in improving on the first.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

10. Re: Supreme Commander 2 in Spring Nov 18, 2009, 17:53 Sleeeeepy

What I've seen of the new version makes me nervous. Streamlining and dumbing down are not the same thing. I'm worried that in their attempt to streamline the interface and mechanics in order to broaden the sequel's appeal, they very well may have gone too far and ended up dumbing it down. Time will tell...

This is my very real concern too, but tempered by the knowledge that I am not necessarily the core audience that brings in the big bucks. But by this point with supcom I was all frothing at the mouth (and really enjoyed the end result), with this I want to like it but can't help but go with a wait and see attitude due to the points you mentioned.

9. Re: Supreme Commander 2 in Spring Nov 18, 2009, 17:25 Prez

The point about the screenshots was very valid, but otherwise I loved SC. I thought the economy was great. The complexity of it was daunting, but I have a working brain, and I enjoy the game that makes me use it while I'm having a blast. As an old Total Annhilation fan, I couldn't stop playing it for a year.

What I've seen of the new version makes me nervous. Streamlining and dumbing down are not the same thing. I'm worried that in their attempt to streamline the interface and mechanics in order to broaden the sequel's appeal, they very well may have gone too far and ended up dumbing it down. Time will tell...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: Supreme Commander 2 in Spring Nov 18, 2009, 14:43 mag

After the terrible xbox port of the original (based on reviews). I wonder if they'll build the sequel from the ground up for consoles. If so, it will be worse than the original.

My impression is that they have been. The only map they've shown is positively tiny, they've reduced the poly counts, the textures look lower-res, I think they're aiming for fewer unit totals...

7. Re: Supreme Commander 2 in Spring Nov 18, 2009, 14:39 everyone

After the terrible xbox port of the original (based on reviews). I wonder if they'll build the sequel from the ground up for consoles. If so, it will be worse than the original.

What I would love to see is a rts set in modern times using the supcom engine.

6. Re: Supreme Commander 2 in Spring Nov 18, 2009, 14:38 nin

Wow so Gaspowered is still around, I dunno how they continue to survive publishing so little

Um, Demigod came out in April...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Supreme Commander 2 in Spring Nov 18, 2009, 14:37 Unknown Soldier

I think I just found the game that's going to make me upgrade my computer again.  

4. Re: Supreme Commander 2 in Spring Nov 18, 2009, 14:29 Wildone

Wow so Gaspowered is still around, I dunno how they continue to survive publishing so little  

3. Re: Supreme Commander 2 in Spring Nov 18, 2009, 14:02 Creston

How does the AI cheat? Never really noticed it?

This and Mass Effect 2 are my two most anticipated games of 2010. I fucking LOVED SupCom.

Creston

2. Re: Supreme Commander 2 in Spring Nov 18, 2009, 12:58 Tumbler

I think I'd like to see them try to make the overall experience of playing the game more like those screenshots. They did this with the last one too, they showed all kinds of awesome action shots but anyone who plays the game knows that is not what you see 90% of the time playing that game. I want this franchise to continue, all the work they put into their online system shows how much work they want to put into it, (supreme commander had a whole online system that managed maps, mods, matchmaking, etc, ala company of heroes) and hopefully they can put together an RTS that is as fun to play as it is to look at. I imagine an observer would have more fun in Supreme commander than a player...  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

1. Re: Supreme Commander 2 in Spring Nov 18, 2009, 12:54 eRe4s3r

Maybe this time with an actually working non-cheating AI ? Hah, who am i kidding, its probably going to grind to a halt when theres a single river across the map.

With AI i mean the unit AI too

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo