Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Modern Warfare 2 Sales

MCV has word that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has now tallied over $550 million in sales in five days. "In just five days of sell through Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has become the largest entertainment launch in history and a pop culture phenomenon," says Activision CEO Bobby Kotick.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 19, 2009, 23:08 Jerykk

They could have easily included several PC-centric features at minimal costs.

Exactly. IW did this with COD4. It's not like they completely remade the game, they just added features that PC gamers expect like mod support, dedicated servers and lean. I'm pretty sure it cost them more to create IW.net than it did for them to create the dedicated server app for COD4.

In fairness, the most successful right now are probably (in order):
1) Infinity Ward
2) Rockstar
3) Bungie
4) Epic
5) Valve

I think you misunderstood his statement. He was referring to PC developers, not all developers. The most successful developers on the PC are the ones who cater to PC gamers. And wtf? Why isn't Blizzard at the top of your list? They have 13 million people paying them $10-15 a month. No other developer can compete with that.

When given the choice between focusing on the two better selling versions and delaying one or focusing on all three and delaying all three you're better off delaying the one that's going to get the least attention.

Or they could just put more people on to the PC version during development instead of waiting until the console versions were done. Bioshock had a team dedicated to the PC version throughout the project, allowing for a consecutive release and better sales. If the PC version had been delayed for 3-4 months, it would have sold a lot less.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2009, 23:16.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 19, 2009, 16:20 Beamer

The developers who really understand and cater to the PC audience are also usually the most successful,

In fairness, the most successful right now are probably (in order):
1) Infinity Ward
2) Rockstar
3) Bungie
4) Epic
5) Valve

Valve is still primarily PC, but that's changing. Epic is still heavily supporting the PC, but from an engine standpoint. The rest?
It's hard to argue that a company isn't doing something successful, though, when they're probably the single most successful out there the past three years.

edit - in fairness I put Valve there since they're successful all around, but only looked at the others games. Valve probably isn't in the top 5 based on games alone (if we knew where HL3 was maybe that'd change), and if we're looking all around Epic is probably #1 or maybe #2.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2009, 16:31.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

43. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 19, 2009, 09:54 Verno

The bottom line is drastically changing the game for the PC SKU would have cost them a good amount of time and money. They clearly decided that time and money was better spent elsewhere. And, given the sales figures, it's really hard to argue with that wisdom. Sure, you're about to say "but they already admitted they could have had an unlimited budget!" But that doesn't take into account time, nor does it take into account that stretching the Budget X dollars doesn't mean you'll take in X+Y dollars.

The bulk of development was already done and the additional features are things that have been included in previous product iterations. It's not some massive expense that would force them back to the drawing board. They could have easily included several PC-centric features at minimal costs.

The developers who really understand and cater to the PC audience are also usually the most successful, it doesn't take a genius to understand the formula. If a company isn't interested in selling a PC product then that's fair but it's very disingenuous to toss out shitty ports then blame the PC market itself for your products woes.

With regards to how it sold on the PC, remains to be seen.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

42. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 19, 2009, 09:45 Beamer

As a business, it's in Activision/IW's best interest to sell more units. If you want to sell more units on the PC, you need to cater to the PC audience and you do that by delivering what they expect.

Again, this isn't true and it's terrifying that you think it is. Again, I'll point to several UK CEOs fired this year for selling too much.

In your theory BMW would make more money by selling more cars, so they should sell as many cars as possible. In order to sell the most cars they'd need to charge what everyone in the world could afford, let's just assume 1 cent US. Is that smart business?
Or, hypocritically, you complain when games are "dumbed down." But aren't they "dumbed down" to appeal to a wider audience and sell more?

The bottom line is drastically changing the game for the PC SKU would have cost them a good amount of time and money. They clearly decided that time and money was better spent elsewhere. And, given the sales figures, it's really hard to argue with that wisdom. Sure, you're about to say "but they already admitted they could have had an unlimited budget!" But that doesn't take into account time, nor does it take into account that stretching the Budget X dollars doesn't mean you'll take in X+Y dollars.

Sadly, developers and publishers these days are completely clueless as to how to sell PC games. They think that PC gamers want the same things as console gamers and that obviously isn't true. They also think that delaying the PC versions of multiplatform titles is somehow good for business.

Those PC versions are still selling pretty well, aren't they?
And it is good for business. When given the choice between focusing on the two better selling versions and delaying one or focusing on all three and delaying all three you're better off delaying the one that's going to get the least attention.

-------------

41. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 19, 2009, 00:39 Jerykk

Why should the PC have additional features before the other platforms?

Different audience, different standards. As a business, it's in Activision/IW's best interest to sell more units. If you want to sell more units on the PC, you need to cater to the PC audience and you do that by delivering what they expect. Unfortunately, this is the exact opposite of what they did with MW2.

The biggest problem with multiplatform development is that games are really designed for one platform and audience and then just ported to the other platforms. It's no wonder that the 360 version of multiplatform games typically outsells the PS3 and PC versions; 360 is the lead SKU 99% of the time. While this is less of an issue for PS3 gamers (since 360 and PS3 have the same control schemes and basic functionality), it is a huge issue for PC gamers.

Sadly, developers and publishers these days are completely clueless as to how to sell PC games. They think that PC gamers want the same things as console gamers and that obviously isn't true. They also think that delaying the PC versions of multiplatform titles is somehow good for business.

40. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 22:50 zirik

im sure the non-profit organizations for vets and current members of the military are going to get a piece of that money right? ...right?

What the flying hell does this have to do with anything?

i was referring to the foundation started or endorsed by activision or IW which was supposed to help raise funds for vets and military families. if the game made this much money then activision should follow through big time with their good intentions and actually donate some of the profit to the foundation.

unless it announcing it was all smoke and no substance meant to be used only as a PR move before the release of the game.

39. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 19:06 Cheese

you guys take this MW2 wayy to serious, its just another FPS. no matter what I cant call these type of games rewarding. sure it looks great has crazy action and is more interesting than your motherlaw.

but at the end of the day is there any reason to play this game, other than the graphics??

you seen one local you seen them all, it begins to blur into maddness when you dont even get to enjoy the visuals because all your doing 90% of the time playing this is turning and shooting wash rinse repeat.

lol now give me Section 8 or ARMA 2 or something that I have to use my brain for.

MW2 is not replayable it is just another duck shooting gallery with pretty legs.

38. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 19:02 ldonyo

More of the same but lacking so much and yet it still sells a lot.

It's the lemming syndrome.

Pop culture phenomenon it's not, but you can't expect Kotick to know his ass from a hole in the ground, can you?

37. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 18:31 spindoctor

So far SP has been very entertaining, MP is always fun (except for spawn campers), and the COOP missions ARE A BLAST. I think there are around 23 coop missions, for me that's worth the price itself. Played 3 of those with my buddy last night, phucking great time.

I agree. Spent 28 hours on the game since it unlocked on Steam last Thursday, and I am (unbelievably) ignoring Dragon Age and L4D2 in favor of this game. Spec ops is insane fun.. I've done 11 missions so far, and you know it's good when you go back and repeat them after completing the 3 stars requirement. Friend + voice com + spec ops is amazingly entertaining.

Almost as entertaining as throwing tantrums and whining about the game on forums /rimshot

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

36. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 16:58 Wowbagger_TIP

Sandbox type games still have a LOT of room to improve, but they can be some of the most fun games to play. I tend to enjoy them a lot more than games like MW2 that are essentially shooters on rails. Games like Oblivion, FO3, Red Faction 2, Prototype, etc. all have their flaws, some more glaring than others, but they also tend to be rather engrossing anyway. The ability to go where you want and do whatever you feel like doing is pretty powerful. The trick is in building a solid game around the basic abilities that the characters have in their environment. I think we're going to keep seeing more and more cool open games like these in the future, and I think they'll continue to get more and more right as they learn what we really want out of these games.

I thought Red Faction 2 was pretty impressive, but they took a lot of shortcuts with the AI and gameplay mechanics. Stealth was practically impossible since enemies seemed to be omniscient once you attack one of them. That along with endless reinforcements in a lot of cases was pretty cheap and annoying. Even with flaws like that though, the game was still fun and I still played to the end, which is rather rare for me.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

35. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 15:57 Wildone

My experience has been with OPFP2 that sometimes you will get an amazing experience, sometimes it will suck..but at least its different every time how many people are gonna play thru MW2 again to see the same events happening? The MP is basically quake with machine guns, whats the big hoopla about?!? You cant even use friggen vehicles or damage the buildings for fucks sake. Not sayin it aint good but its nothing new really  

34. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 15:48 Beamer

I never understand the obsession with "open sandbox worlds." So many people refuse to play a game without this. Why? Are they fun? Yeah. But there are sacrifices made with them. The player gets choice but the developer loses control. Sometimes I want something cinematic. Sometimes I want to steal a car and run people over. I'm fairly certain I've played more games that I felt suffered for being open sandboxes (see: GUN) than ones that benefitted.  
-------------

33. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 15:01 Joss

Well said Verno.

There's a title out there that has:

Lean
Prone
Track IR Support
Open Sanbox World
Mod Tools
Dedicated Servers
40+ player co-op

If some other developer can't step up and compete with that, I will blissfully stay with that game... period.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2009, 15:02.

32. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 14:54 Verno

Why should the PC have additional features before the other platforms? I think it's safe to say that the sales from the PS3/360 are going to crush the PC regardless of those features being present so why should developers put in the extra work to tailor the game for pc audiences?

No offense Tumbler but this is pretty silly logic. Companies frequently change their products for various platforms, regions and audience types in almost every industry in the world, including gaming. If you want to successfully sell a quality PC title then you need to cater to PC customers unless your brand is so ridiculously known that it doesn't matter. That's the case here, they have a strong brand that was ironically born and enjoyed plenty of success on the PC. It doesn't mean their actions won't have long term consequences and it doesn't mean that the PC version itself is selling amazing.

It's not about "this versus that" in terms of sales. Everyone knows the console versions will be successful on their own. If they wanted the PC title to really be a blockbuster on the PC then they could have kept features in the previous title or at the least not jacked up the price when they are delivering less product.

You're setting yourself up for failure by treating your potential market like shit and what infuriates people is that will be the reasoning for them not making future installments of the franchise for the PC. I say good riddance personally but some people really love Call of Duty. Treyarch and Activision did an outstanding job with Call of Duty World at War which was by all rights a fairly middling game in terms of quality. They did it by treating their customers well and supporting the title extensively.

You can watch IW interviews from just two years ago where they were proclaiming the greatness of the PC and how much they love the audience. It's disheartening to see the complete turnaround they pulled and their treatment of the PC community after the announcements was nothing short of a public relations nightmare. Not to mention springing the news on people three weeks before release and the other assorted nonsense.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2009, 14:56.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

31. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 14:20 Surf

Weird, NEVER liked any of the CoD rail, lead me by the hand, shooters and still don't understand its overwhelming popularity. Is it a good game? YES! Does it deserve all this overwhelming popularity? Fuck no.

BF2 and CS Source kicked this games ass in my opinion, but oh well.

30. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 14:13 JoeNapalm

It's an excellent game from what I've seen, the pc specific features missing doesn't mean they screwed u guys. If they'd gimped the MP side of the game by only giving unlocks to console players or something like that that would be different but you have the same product everyone else has...no?

No. The previous PC iterations all included those features. It does gimp the MP side of the game on the PC to axe dedicated servers.

And, while removing a laundry list of previously included (and currently standard in most PC games) features, they jacked up the price to the console level of $60.

They cut the features and upped the price, by their own admission, because they knew a lot of people would buy it anyway.

Much more money for many fewer features, and we're supposed to lap it up and beg for more? @#$% that.

I'm sure it's a great game on the PS3 or 360 - but don't expect people to be happy with what they did with the PC version, because it's simple greed at the consumer's expense.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

29. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 14:00 Hoop

Heres my take, why in buddas name do gamers think MW1 was so reality based over MW2?
Have these people any idea just how console close MW1 was?
This trend towards a consoleisation of pc games has been a slippery slope for years.
My two cents, I find MW2 more of an emersive fight style, although I never went in thinking it was going to be a tactical shooter, that would just be dumb. Arma2 is for PC only for a reason & would have these kids who for what ever reason think MW1 is remotely realistic bitching about too many key assignments.
Since Ive been gaming & I'll show my age here but theres been enough time now to see trends. Ive noticed every 5 years or so a formative generation comes through that take ownership of the standout game of the day, all the time declearing every other game previous or that follows fag bait.
Where are all the halflife fanboys now who spent their whole adolescence demanding we who grew up on Quake were the biggest fags for doing so & they had inhertited the golden prize of gaming, where are they now? Probably knee deep in diapers.
I can only put this tantrum down to a new generational thing where the majority of disatisfied gamers are young, angry & taking ownership of their percieved golden game to end all golden games.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2009, 14:19.

Um .. Behind you...

28. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 14:00 Tumbler

But when a developer publishes a game for the PC and removes features that have been standard for PC games for ages? Yeah, PC gamers are going to be angry - and rightfully so. Borderlands, MW2, this is obviously the trend to just shaft the port and count the money.

Considering that the features in the game currently are standard across all platforms atm, why is the money spent adding/testing/tweaking the features for the PC "worth it"? They delivered a game that plays basically the same across multiple platforms. Why should the PC have additional features before the other platforms? I think it's safe to say that the sales from the PS3/360 are going to crush the PC regardless of those features being present so why should developers put in the extra work to tailor the game for pc audiences? It seems smarter to put those dollars into making the consoles versions better...which I guess they didn't do? I don't see features in one package that aren't in another so I don't see anything that suggests these guys aren't treating pc gamers fairly. It's an excellent game from what I've seen, the pc specific features missing doesn't mean they screwed u guys. If they'd gimped the MP side of the game by only giving unlocks to console players or something like that that would be different but you have the same product everyone else has...no?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

27. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 14:00 Undocumented Alien

So far SP has been very entertaining, MP is always fun (except for spawn campers), and the COOP missions ARE A BLAST. I think there are around 23 coop missions, for me that's worth the price itself. Played 3 of those with my buddy last night, phucking great time.  

26. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Sales Nov 18, 2009, 13:34 Syntarsus

That's nice and all, Mr. Kotick, but I'm still not gonna buy it. Maybe when it comes down to about 20 bucks or so... or more likely, I'll get it the same way I got my last two CoD titles: bundled with a new video card.

Now, back to Borderlands..

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo