Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Borderlands DLC

Gearbox Talks DLC, Borderlands Level Cap on GameInformer.com hears from Randy Pitchford of Gearbox Software about Borderlands, and plans for DLC for the role-playing shooter (which Mikey Neumann confirms is coming to the PC). Topics include revisiting zones like Old Haven, the possibility of a weapons locker, increasing the level cap, zombies, and more.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 16, 2009, 09:50 Verno

Put 5 points in the Refire talent and it's up every 20 seconds, if you need it more than that then you're not killing things fast enough.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 21:58 xXBatmanXx

I've been playing in a group of 4 as a soldier today from lvl 1-17 and the turret is pretty crappy. Then again, when there's 4 people around everything is "pretty crappy." But it's more crappy because of the crazy-long cooldown. It doesn't seem proportionally as strong as the cooldown is long.

I buffed mine with the quick cooldown mods.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

33. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 21:43 PHJF

I've been playing in a group of 4 as a soldier today from lvl 1-17 and the turret is pretty crappy. Then again, when there's 4 people around everything is "pretty crappy." But it's more crappy because of the crazy-long cooldown. It doesn't seem proportionally as strong as the cooldown is long.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

32. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 20:00 Caveman

I love the siren, again if you build up the elemental and assassin skill trees you are basically unstoppable. I found an SMG that does 440 per shot, no elemental damage but its the only gun I use.

I'm rolling out the berserker next. I tried hunter for a bit, I think it was pretty boring, but when I do work on him I'm definitely going for the pistol skill tree(I did enough sniping as a siren).

31. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 19:47 eunichron

great post eunichron. Agree 99%. I find the soldier to be the easiest class to play, and that turret kicks ass over all other special abilities.
Heh, probably accountant to difference in playstyle. With the Siren I find I can just load up an explosive or incendiary artifact with her Phasewalk ability, just round up a bunch of enemies and AOE them all down within seconds. Whereas with the Soldier I found myself backing off from firefights and having to reapproach several times to be successful.

30. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 19:27 Techie714

What....you didnt like that...  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

29. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 19:16 xXBatmanXx

great post eunichron. Agree 99%. I find the soldier to be the easiest class to play, and that turret kicks ass over all other special abilities. The other 3 classes I thought were a joke. The next closest for my play style (FPS) is the Hunter.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

28. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 18:17 eunichron

Sorry, I forgot that threads and forums were only for people that had something positive to say about the game, pardon me. I mean, no objectivity is allowed here!
Ok, sure, you don't like the game. You're entitled to your opinion. But your arguments against it are hardly objective.

1.) Level grinding: Of course if you play it like an RPG it's going to seem grindy. It's not an RPG, it's an FPS with RPG elements (i.e. Prey, though a few steps further than what Prey did). If you play it like an FPS the levels come fast and it is not grindy at all.

2.) "Too one dimensional and Guild Wars like": Goes hand in hand with #1. If you think it is, and play it like, an RPG, it will seem one dimensional. But again, it is NOT an RPG. From these two it's clear you don't even understand the design concept behind the game.

3.) Not enough room for vehicles: The first zone, (yes there are multiple zones, which from your statements is plainly obvious you never left the first one), is cramped for vehicles. The second and third zones are much more expansive, and almost vehicle centric.

4.) Game should be $19.99: How does this even make sense? It offers a lot; a long single player (I'm near the end and I've logged in just under 20 hours of gameplay), fun multiplayer co-op. Compared to some other recent games it's well worth the $50.

Every single thing you've mentioned just screams that you spent maybe 1-2 hours in game and are just nitpicking to find things to complain about, maybe just to hate it because everyone else loves it. It's alright man, rebelling against the "norm" still makes you cool.

That is not to say the game is perfect. I love it, but here are some things that aren't that great:

- The enemies are repetitive. There's not much variety among them, and the only differences between bosses and the normal thugs are that they have more health and better weapons.

- Class imbalance. I first started playing as a Soldier, and switched to a Siren. The game was quite a bit more difficult as a Soldier, but I flew through it as the Siren. Left my Soldier to use as my co-op character with my friends, and even in multi it's easy to see that my friend playing the Siren is hugely overpowered compared to my Soldier and my other friend playing Brick.

- Too much variety in weapons. Tons and tons of items, but very few upgrades. You do have the choices of using a normal damage weapon vs. elemental damage weapons, but for the most part once you find a decent weapon, you'll pick up probably another 100 more before you find something that will replace it.

- The story is typical of an FPS; pretty shallow.

All in all the game is just fun. Singleplayer is worth it, co-op is where it shines. If you go into it like Surf did thinking "ZOMGZ FIRST PERSON RPG!!!" it's probably going to suck for you, and you should just get DA:O instead.

27. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 17:45 PHJF

All right so I got the game and (think) I set up my ports, who's gonna play with me?!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

26. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 17:02 Surf

Sorry, I forgot that threads and forums were only for people that had something positive to say about the game, pardon me. I mean, no objectivity is allowed here!

Dicks. I simply have stated why this game is not that great, why it should be $19.99, how it is monotonous and nothing new (Aside from the neat art style).

You guys act like you were the game makers here and threaten anyone that says anything negative about it. Well, I too threaten those that say a little too much positive crap about this game without backing it up or blindly stating how original it is. It isnt.

Guild Wars with Guns, period.

25. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 15:52 Kxmode

Nobody likes you Surf...  

24. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 15:28 Caveman

Not really, you've just criticized everything, you can't back up your opinions, well because it's an opinion.

Just curious though, if you hate the game, why do you post in every borderlands thread?

23. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 15:27 Surf

As with yours as well. You think the game is great, i think it sucks, that would make it a stalemate except for one big factor.

I backup why I think the game is trash, you so far haven't.

22. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 14:00 eunichron

Any other comments asshole?
Nope. I think your own ignorant comments speak for themselves.

Hopefully people that haven't played the game yet will understand to not take anything you have said into consideration.

21. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 13:55 Surf

What is the "zone" in this game? I killed one tall boss with two warg like dogs, I jumped over the ramp with the vehicle, went into another "zone?" with a dog called a "Bad Ass" something that was on fire.

Rinse repeat.

Any other comments asshole?

20. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 13:43 eunichron

Are you guys really that fucking dumb? You may enjoy the game, that is fine, but for fucks sake don't deny what this game is. The same repeat shit with tougher monsters, aka, Level Grinding.
Considering that the game is an FPS first, and RPG second, you are the one who is that fucking dumb. Especially since it's obvious from your statements that you didn't even play past the first zone.

19. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 12:26 Surf

Well, if you dolts can't see that this is simply Guild Wars with guns how can we even debate the game?

Also, how can you say that this isn't a level grind game? You go to a zone, everything is slightly/moderately higher than you, you kill a few monsters, level up, get a better weapon, enter new zone, repeat.

Are you guys really that fucking dumb? You may enjoy the game, that is fine, but for fucks sake don't deny what this game is. The same repeat shit with tougher monsters, aka, Level Grinding.

18. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 11:26 Baudkarma

Also, what bugs, besides the port forwarding issue, I haven't encountered a single issue.

There's a fairly significant bug that you'll encounter whenever you find an item that has more then four lines of ability text. The text box only has room to display four lines, so the rest of the abilities get chopped off. There's still there, you just can't see them. This is a fairly big deal for a game whose main feature is the locating of bigger and better lootz.

There is a fix, if you were smart enough to buy the game for the PC. Tweaking some of the .ini files lets you display all the item descriptions, as well as disable the starting movies, enable crouch toggle, and some other nice stuff. The Borderlands Wiki has a list.

I am not a man! I am a free number!

17. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 11:09 Skullguise

this game should have been $19.99 day one.

This guy knows a lot about the gaming industry.

What do you expect from someone who would write this drivel.

Interplay, go away, let the big boys take over and do it right.

16. Re: On Borderlands DLC Nov 14, 2009, 11:02 Asmodai

My only real gripe with this game is that some of the DLC stuff should have been just plain included from scratch...

Character stash for example. Why the fuck do you have to pay money to get the ability to use some sort of chest??? Same with Dragon Age for that matter, not buying the premium pack means you have to buy the wardens keep DLC just to get a chest to store stuff in (as opposed to running out of inv and hocking shit all the time). They give you a camp + a merchant + an enchanter, but not a storage chest?!?

Same with Borderlands. I don't mind software mobs getting rewarded for generating more content, but things like stashes are not fucking content.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo