Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Another lost morning for me in the haze of painkillers, hopefully I'll be back on track next week. Also, something funky happened that broke the front page for IE users overnight. Frans spent some time in the Jefferies tubes and has things cranking again. Apologies for that.

Hazy Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Five Minutes to Kill (Yourself) Wedding Day.
Yo-Ho-Ho Cannon.
Cannon Plunder.
Links: Fighting The Idiots: A Modern Warfare 2 Experiment.
Stories: Irish priest kidnapped in Philippines released by MILF. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Ray Bradbury working on 6-hour miniseries.
German thief unwittingly steals circus lion. Thanks Slashdot.
Science: Eye exercise may boost creativity. Mixed-handed myself.
High testosterone linked to miserly behaviour. Thanks Neatorama.
Military wants lightweight fiber lasers for unmanned aircraft.
Space Invader Autopsy tee.
Not Into Competing with the Christmas Lights. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Media: 50 Worst Videogame Voice Acting Lines.
Know Your Meme: AutoTune - With Professor Weird Al Yankovic.
What every fan does at a football match.
Follow-ups: MW2 Boycott Fail. Thanks Digg.
The Fight for the Ninth Planet.
2012- Carnival of Bunkum.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Irish priest kidnapped in Philippi Nov 14, 2009, 11:57 ForgedReality

Awwww.. What a letdown. I was hoping to see a picture of an actual milf.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2009, 03:49  Xymph 

are you referring to the locking up of IE? Had lots of trouble with the site this week
No, Blue just referred to the former differences in the masthead area. I tested the site in IE6, 7 and 8, and it never locked up (nor in any of the other major browsers I tried). So that may be a problem on your end.

-- Frans

31. Re: Tech time.. Nov 14, 2009, 02:57 Kxmode

One Rubber band to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!  

30. Re: Tech time.. Nov 14, 2009, 00:35 Kosumo

I recommend hand writing out all data onto paper at the end of each week. (as if you would want to write out all those 1 and 0 each night!!!)

Dunce

29. Re: Tech time.. Nov 14, 2009, 00:23 Creston

Nice and easy, thank you Creston

Sure man.

a few months ago coupled with the failure of Norton Ghost to recover my computer I thought it might be worth a shot.

It was a dark, dark day when those fuckers at Norton bought Ghost. It took them a lot longer to kill it than I thought, but my company just stopped using it because it's become utterly unreliable.

Anyone know any good alternatives? Buddy of mine uses clonezilla and says it work fine.

Creston

28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2009, 00:21 Creston

Big fan of Aeon Flux, are you?

No. Big fan of Charlize Theron.

Creston

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2009, 22:18 Prez

In regards to the MW2 boycott shot, there's a ton of people that like to join the boycott groups just to call the other people "fags" or other clever words because that's just how the internet works.

The other side of that is that a lot of people join boycotts not because they support the boycott itself (boycotts rarely work to slow sales of something) but it is a quantifiable way of sending a message about your displeasure. I joined the L4D2 boycott group, even though I thought their whole "manifesto" was melodramatic tripe, and I'm most likely going to buy L4D2, just not at full price. I was more concerned with adding to the number of members itself, the magnitude of which can be seen as proportional to the potency of the message sent.

Having said that, it does take a lot away from said message when you are a member of the boycott group at the same time as owning the game. At least leave the group first!

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2009, 22:20.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2009, 21:26 Sepharo

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2009/11/13/

I'm crackin' up readin' the last post on today's PA.

25. Re: Tech time.. Nov 13, 2009, 20:14 WarPig

Green or Blue folks.
Just using this on my home desktop computer (what I use at work doesn't qualify as a PC except for a IBM sticker on the side) which is primarily used as a gaming machine.

I just received my copy of Win7 Pro in the mail today. I went with pro for XP Mode (just in case I need it... and just in case it actually works). I also want to see how the automatic backup feature works. After going through Seagate's patented "hard drive to brick conversion" a few months ago coupled with the failure of Norton Ghost to recover my computer I thought it might be worth a shot.

GO SEAHAWKS!

24. Re: Tech time.. Nov 13, 2009, 16:59 The Half Elf

Nice and easy, thank you Creston  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2009, 16:33 PHJF

There is no such thing as TOO MUCH Charlize Theron! You... you... HEATHEN! Slap

Big fan of Aeon Flux, are you?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2009, 15:58 mag

That MW2 boycott fail image is precious. Clearly they were at least as effective as the L4D2 boycott.

This is why we can't have nice things.

I still don't understand the draw of the CoD games, even without the devs trying to rape your wallet.

21. Re: Tech time.. Nov 13, 2009, 15:44 xXBatmanXx

Also if I do this, is there a quick and easy way to backup/move all my Steam files to another hard drive and then back (along with saved games)?

Yep. Copy the entire Steam drive to another HD. Install new OS. Copy steam folder back. reinstall Steam, and point to current location of Steam folder. Voila.

You probably already know this - but make sure to grab "my documents" also ("users" folder in vista). As a TON of companies are saving your games there....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2009, 15:43 xXBatmanXx

What'd you do with the board link at the top of the page, Blue? Frans hide it from you again?

No, we have switched the front page masthead with the content pages masthead as part of the troubleshooting of this IE issue.

Now why the other masthead doesn't have that board link in the first place is another question entirely....

I use IE (forced) in my squad car....are you referring to the locking up of IE? Had lots of trouble with the site this week....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2009, 15:21 Creston

because the trailers have all used way too much Charlize Theron

There is no such thing as TOO MUCH Charlize Theron! You... you... HEATHEN! Slap

Creston

18. Re: Tech time.. Nov 13, 2009, 15:18 Creston

Windows 7 Home, or Premium?

Do you need to log the computer on to a domain? No? Then use home.

Also if I do this, is there a quick and easy way to backup/move all my Steam files to another hard drive and then back (along with saved games)?

Yep. Copy the entire Steam drive to another HD. Install new OS. Copy steam folder back. reinstall Steam, and point to current location of Steam folder. Voila.

Creston

17. NW2 Boycott Fail Nov 13, 2009, 15:17 Hoop

Ha ha this whole community sulk has been funny to watch...what a bunch of deluded internet gaming stars.  

Um .. Behind you...

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2009, 14:37  Blue 

Dunno about the movie but the book was a good read. It's by the same author of "No country for old men" (which I saw as a movie and didn't read, ironically.)

This was a rare case for me, I just thought the movie was okay at first, but then I read the book (which was great), and now I love the movie.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2009, 14:35  Xymph 

Now why the other masthead doesn't have that board link in the first place is another question entirely....
Question? It's not a question anymore.

-- Frans

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 13, 2009, 14:29  Blue 

What'd you do with the board link at the top of the page, Blue? Frans hide it from you again?

No, we have switched the front page masthead with the content pages masthead as part of the troubleshooting of this IE issue.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2009, 14:29.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo