Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Age of Conan Wants You Back

Funcom announces another invitation to former subscribers of Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures to return and play for free to see all the improvements to the MMORPG since its launch. They are offering a free two-week subscription to ex-players, and as an incentive returning players will earn double experience. They are also promising those who re-subscribe the chance to get access to the beta test for The Secret World, a free copy of the expansion and more, depending on how long they re-up for. Now how much would you pay? But wait! There's more:

Besides receiving an incredible experience boost throughout November, players who choose to continue subscribing to the game after their free period can look forward to a range of exclusive rewards:

• Subscribing for 1 month gives 7 days extra game time for no additional cost

• Subscribing for 3 months also guarantees a spot in open beta for The Secret World

• Subscribing for 6 months also gives a level 40 helmet with a 10% XP modifier

• Subscribing for 12 months also gives a free copy of the Rise of the Godslayer expansion

In addition, the rewards for the lower tier subscriptions are also included in the higher tier subscription, which means that you will get all these exclusive rewards if you choose to subscribe for 12 months. This is a time-limited offer only, and is also available to current players. Players who have signed up for these subscription plans in October have already secured their respective reward. The Secret World beta reward includes access to the later stages of the closed beta, and a date for access will be announced later. The free download of the expansion will become available when the expansion launches.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 12, 2009, 10:51 CptStern

you gotta wonder why anyone would bother to comment on this story who either hasnt played AoC or has never played an MMO. why bother? what's worse is that they think their opinion of the game is valid

this free incentive thing comes at a really bad time as it's the busiest time of the year for gamers what with all the releases. they should have waited for the smoke to settle a bit, say late december or early next year

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 12, 2009, 00:40 osage no onna

Your armor on spawn is made of high explosives that reacts to light sabers.

Imperial work safety regulations always did seem pretty lax.

24. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 20:10 VultureMAN

XM-S said "My stance is, you can PvP, which is fun, without ganking players that have absolutely no chance of fighting back, which is not, and this concept is utterly lost on AoC players and its dev team"

And is perfectly valid.
why can't you have a simple fantasy death curse game mechanic for gankers. kill a lowbie and/or kill the same person twice on spawn and their death curse insta kills you. Or if you want to be nasty it gimps you character for 4 hours of play time.

for SF just use the Starwars stormtrooper sure fire Jedi defense. Your armor on spawn is made of high explosives that reacts to light sabers. once you leave the spawn it settles down into its actual defense materials. --Nanites don't you know!

/EX AOC player - and FC can't get me to go back

23. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 19:24 Narf2029

It just isn't fun. Its like trying to play a game while your kid keeps unplugging the console.

Sounds kinda like trying to mine asteroids for hours then getting ganked.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

22. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 19:09 space captain

Its like trying to play a game while your kid keeps unplugging the console.

that sounds awesome

Go forth, and kill!

21. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 18:42 Kxmode

"Conan, you and I were never an item. It's over!"  

20. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 18:36 XM-S

I have never played AoC but what XM-S describes is pretty bad. At least newbie areas should be safe from pvp. I suppose there is some kind of pve server you could go to instead maybe XM-S?

Gotta be fair about this, as I was unclear. This was a return. I was level 55. Yes, there are PvE servers (um, I think, been a while), but its a PvP focused game, and much of its content in neutered in a PvE environment.

My stance is, you can PvP, which is fun, without ganking players that have absolutely no chance of fighting back, which is not, and this concept is utterly lost on AoC players and its dev team. The overall design of the game accepts this behavior, and the culture of its players encourages ganking of the worst sort.

It just isn't fun. Its like trying to play a game while your kid keeps unplugging the console.

19. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 18:10 Ant

Make the game free like DDO.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

18. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 17:55 Mashiki Amiketo

Dear Funcom,
No. In related news, take offer and burn it.

Thanks.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 17:52 derelict koan

It's kinda sad to see them trying to bribe people back into their world. Though hopefully it will be a good example for companies thinking to invest in creating an MMO. I flippin hate the things, they seem like simulations of factory work rather than games.  
www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

16. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 17:47 Klaus Flouride

A lot of weak sauce games do this. Instead make a product people want AND listen to their complaints.  

When all else fails empty the magazine...

15. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 17:16 Overon

I'm not a MMO player, I think it's too much grinding and not enough fun for which you have to keep paying.

But clearly the game isn't doing too well financially and they are trying to get players back by offering them loot and more content. Isn't that the whole point of people play these games for the loot and some community interaction?

Besides WOW being a Blizzard product and the automatic popularity that receives, what makes Age of Conana Inferior to WOW?

14. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 16:50 MrTA

I have never played AoC but what XM-S describes is pretty bad. At least newbie areas should be safe from pvp. I suppose there is some kind of pve server you could go to instead maybe XM-S?  

13. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 16:49 IQ

You are dead Conan - stay down! *g*  

12. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 16:41 XM-S

I gave up over lack of content at 55. They had a free welcome back event last spring and so I signed up to see what had improved.

I spent a couple hours installing/patching/activating, and logged in for the first time.

Before the game had finished loading, I was ganked by a red con "??" level player camping the spot.

I respawned at the whatever-its-called, and within 30 seconds, I was ganked by a different red con "??" level player camping the spawn.

Changed zones and made it to the nearest quest location. Killed three NPCs and was ganked by yet another red con "??" level player.

Logged out. Never logged back. Won't bother this time, either.

You can call me carebear all you want, but this is one of the main reasons AoC has struggled with player numbers since launch, and the game is a whole is paying the price for encouraging this kind of behavior.

11. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 16:20 Endo

And where, pray tell, would they make a profit?
Item mall, like pretty much every other free-to-play.

10. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 16:18 Prez

Age of Conan Wants Me Back? Well you can't have me back. Then again, I was never yours in the first place, because I despise MMO games.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 16:18 Ruffiana

Edit: one of my main gripes with the game early on was that it is a single player game for the most part. Other players steal my quest kills, for example. That's not an MMO, but a single player game.

I have never had another player steal my quest kills in a single player game.

8. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 16:17 Endo

There wasn't anything really wrong with the game when I tried it, it just wasn't that fun. There's FTP MMOs out there that are more fun, so why would I go back at any price?  

7. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 16:17 Ruffiana

This game should be looking at moving to F2P and the expansion should be free as it is.

And where, pray tell, would they make a profit?

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo