Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online Specs

The Star Trek Online Website now offers system requirements for Cryptic's upcoming Trekkie MMORPG. There's also a Star Trek Online Interview on NowGamer talking in detail with Craig Zinkievich about the game. Here are the system specs:

System Requirements
OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+
Memory: 1GB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
HDD: 8GB Free Disk Space
Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

Recommended System Configuration
OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2 5600+
Memory: 2GB RAM+
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3850+
Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
HDD: 8GB Free Disk Space
Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
Disc: 6X DVD-ROM

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 12, 2009, 10:05 Xyggy

It's dead, Jim.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 12, 2009, 00:30 The Half Elf

Houdini, yes and no.

Removed due to NDA issues.

Sorry Blue.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2009, 20:37.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

25. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 23:28 Kxmode

Informative Rigs. All good information.

I was trying to make a point that while EVE Online will continue to cater to gamers that like that style of play, and STO will cater to gamers who like captaining ships, Jumpgate will offer a different type of gameplay experience. In the end it is good for variety.

24. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 23:07 Rigs

Although this may change after Jumpgate Evolution releases.

I have issue with that statement.

Jumpgate Evolution is fighter-based, where as STo is Cap Ship based. Obviously you know the difference, so I won't go into detail. I really haven't seen anything coming close to STO, space-wise, in MMO form. Earth and Beyond was close, but you still got ships zipping around during the 'pew pew' segment. Granted, I don't play EVE, so I don't really know how well the ships move except in the few movies I've seen.

Wasn't trying to call you out, kxmode, just adding my two-cents for what it's worth... *shrug*

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

23. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 21:37 Kxmode

I do. If nothing else it will be different than what's available now, including EVE Online. Although this may change after Jumpgate Evolution releases.  

22. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 21:06 ColoradoHoudini

So .. anyone have any confidence in this title?  

21. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 18:00 Wolfen

Ah. Well there's also an episode of TNG where Baldy and co. stumble upon an old Federation ship with Scotty aboard. They defrost him, and Geordi remonstrates with the old fibber for grossly exaggerating his repair estimates.

Uhh. I think you mean the one where they found him stored inside the transporter memory. He stuck himself there to save his butt. I remember that one well because I thought it was cool they had Scotty on it heh. That was looooooooong ago when I saw that.

20. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 18:00 Mashiki Amiketo

Yeah the shit used in some installers is just obscene. When installing something from a DVD takes ten times as long as copying the whole DVD to your drive, the developer has gone a bit nuts with the install process.

Stuff like that can be caused by the physical copy protection on the disc. Older drives have problems telling the difference between marked, and bad sectors. So not a huge surprise. Same reason why some newer DVD-Combo and DVD drives have issues with older CDR/CD media, even tho it's supposed to be backwards compatible with the old standards.

I usually keep a standalone CD drive around for just such occasions.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

19. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 18:00 The Half Elf

The spec's are similar to Champions Online, but the space game is vastly smoother on high settings, and the one ground combat mission I did with alot of objects (Vulcan retreat, forest setting, heavy foliage and looked amazing), was very smooth at the same settings.

Visually in space the game looks amazing. Granted in a few released screen shots of ships up close you really can see the ship details (deck plates similar to the aztec pattern on federation ships, but you never really get close enough to see them in combat).
Ground wise... I have seen a few ship interiors, and they are decent, but nothing to write home about.

Biggest issue is I just don't see them having the game 'done' to be released in Feb. And I REALLY don't want this game to ship with obvious issues like Champions Online (Canada Map having a huge hole in it).

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

18. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 16:06 sir

Ah. Well there's also an episode of TNG where Baldy and co. stumble upon an old Federation ship with Scotty aboard. They defrost him, and Geordi remonstrates with the old fibber for grossly exaggerating his repair estimates.  

17. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 16:05 TurdFergasun

if we install this game "by the book" hours would seem like days.  

16. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 16:01 NKD

I installed Mass Effect on my old DVD-ROM last year, and it literally took ~ 3 hours to install. Reinstalled it this year with a new DVD-ROM and it took maybe 10 minutes.

Yeah the shit used in some installers is just obscene. When installing something from a DVD takes ten times as long as copying the whole DVD to your drive, the developer has gone a bit nuts with the install process.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

15. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 15:59 Kxmode

Actually I think it was from one of the films. Kirk has an epiphany about Scotty's repair estimates.  

14. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 15:56 sir

"Do you always increase your bitching by a factor of 4?"
"Of course, how else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker!"

I remember that episode. Doesn't Scotty burn up on re-entry to a Dyson Sphere or something like that? Oh, the irony.

13. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 15:26 Creston

I think it's odd that they list a 6X DVD-ROM, what difference does it make how fast the drive is?

It has to do with the compression technology used, I believe. If the drive isn't fast enough, the compression (or rather, the uncompression) slows down to an absolute fucking crawl.

I installed Mass Effect on my old DVD-ROM last year, and it literally took ~ 3 hours to install. Reinstalled it this year with a new DVD-ROM and it took maybe 10 minutes.

So I think they're just saying that to avoid complaints from people who say it takes too long to install. But who knows.

Creston

12. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 15:25 Kxmode

"More power to the warp drive, Mr. Scott"
"Captain, she canna take it much more."

"Do you always increase your bitching by a factor of 4?"
"Of course, how else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker!"

11. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 13:55 sir

what difference does it make how fast the drive is?

"More power to the warp drive, Mr. Scott"
"Captain, she canna take it much more."

10. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 13:48 NKD

It's all fun until you realize your character has a red top on.

Post-TNG era. Gold and blue uniforms are the ones who die.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

9. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 13:20 J

It's all fun until you realize your character has a red top on.

What makes it worse is when you die and the monster calls you a n00b

8. Re: Star Trek Online Specs Nov 11, 2009, 12:47 Tumbler

I think it's odd that they list a 6X DVD-ROM, what difference does it make how fast the drive is? It's just going to pull all the data off the disc and put it on the HDD so I don't know why they put the 6x on there...  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo