Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2?

Gearbox on Borderlands 2, Pitchford’s Valve remarks and tons more on VG247 talks with Gearbox Software's Mike Neumann about the new role-playing shooter. He still won't be pinned down about plans for a demo and talks about how some of the inflammatory remarks attributed to Randy Pitchford were taken out of context. He also talks about the possibility of a sequel, saying Borderlands 2 is a "no-brainer":

Yes, I can probably confirm that there’s a chance of a Borderlands 2 [laughs]. I mean, with anything, especially a new IP, if people want more and you can make more, and everybody can make money and do good business there, it obviously makes really good sense to do that. Obviously nothing so far is planned. We’re working on DLC. We haven’t really had any talks about a sequel, other than water cooler talk like, “Wouldn’t this be cool” kind of stuff. But yeah, Borderlands is really exciting. Everyone here loves the franchise, and it seems like the public is really coming back with praise and love. So yeah, if everything makes sense, Borderlands 2 seems like a no-brainer to me.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 13, 2009, 17:05 Krovven

But the retail and D2D versions of the game do not require Steam, they are stand-alone.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 13, 2009, 16:59 The PC Warrior

gearbox used steam to distribute the game and steam supports DLC so thats where i would expect to see it.  

34. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 13, 2009, 12:21 Krovven

No link currently exists that says the new DLC for the PC will be handled via GFWL, only the consoles.

So provide the link. Cus GFWL doesnt exist on either console. There is Xbox Live and PSN. The patches being hosted through Xbox Live and PSN is a no-brainer, as that is the only method for DLC distribution. Which brings us back to the question of...how will the DLC be delivered on PC and are they going to charge for it?

Regardless...any software with an exclusive GFWL is software I will not buy

And has you have been told a couple times now...Borderlands DOES NOT use GFWL, it uses Gamespy.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2009, 12:22.

33. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 13, 2009, 11:21 Pankin

No link currently exists that says the new DLC for the PC will be handled via GFWL, only the consoles. So perhaps I was conflating one with the other. Regardless...any software with an exclusive GFWL is software I will not buy.  

32. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 12, 2009, 12:05 Krovven

In order to purchase the DLC, you've got to go through Games For Windows, where a mere 800 points gets you...

I didnt think they had announced how the DLC would be distributed for PC, please post a link where they state it's GFWL.

Doesn't make sense to use GFWL, as it doesn't currently use Live. But not a lot has made sense with Borderlands PC implementation thus far.

31. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 12, 2009, 09:51 N

Dual wielding pistols: IMO that'd just about break the game and make it almost pointless to use anything other than explosives, sniper rifles, and pistols. No way.

Crafting: -- meh. I'd rather be able to find some other small 'bits' to be able to put together as weapon mods, but crafting ... the thing I like about this game the most is that it sort of feels like an MMO/Diablo with it's loot and enemy presentation, but that you DON'T have to worry about things like crafting or carrying around pieces of junk because they 'might be useful later'.

Some randomization in the levels/interior areas would be fantastic.

30. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 12, 2009, 09:39 Verno

This game sucks! Played 4 hours and just said "Oh great, new area, similar monsters that look bigger with different colors.... repeat"

I'm really at a loss why they didn't use randomized environments outside of the towns like Diablo. If you're going to reuse the same enemy types, procedurally generate loot and all that then why not do the same with the terrain? Randomized boss loot would have been a good idea too, I got really tired of killing some bosses and only getting ammo and white items.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

29. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 12, 2009, 08:49 Pankin

In order to purchase the DLC, you've got to go through Games For Windows, where a mere 800 points gets you the Zombie Island of Dr. Moreau or whatever. That's what I was talking about. And while they haven't officially mentioned the DLC for the PC platform, I'm sure it'll get there.

Gamespy's not required for LAN play, which is all I've ever done MP-wise, so I'm unqualified to voice an opinion about that.

28. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 12, 2009, 03:45 Krovven

-== SPOILER ALERT ==- But really not much to spoil.

Just finished Borderlands...the ending...seriously WTF? Yay the screen flashes white "thanks for saving the Vault for another 200 years" and goes to credits. What genius writer came up with that? Fucking pathetic.

Drops from the end boss...all garbage common vendor trash. No chests to speak of. It should be like guaranteed to get at least 1 unique (or more) and a few rares off the end boss, not common trash.

I go hand in the Vault Key to Tannis, just exp...no special reward...maybe she gave me money...but who cares when you have over 2.5 million already?

I really wish the gameplay sucked, because then I could just hate the game. But I like the gameplay and will more than likely end up getting this character to max level, and play other characters through with friends.

At least now I'm done this game and can go back to playing Torchlight and diving into Dragons Age (I caved and bought it).

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2009, 03:46.

27. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 12, 2009, 00:14 Caveman

It doesn't use Games for Windows or Windows Live...it uses gamespy.  

26. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 11, 2009, 23:53 Prez

its a fun game, but pretty short - i did every story and side mission, and total play time was 22 hours

Really? Considering it is more of a shooter than an RPG from what I've heard, that sounds like a decent length to me.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 11, 2009, 23:47 Pankin

Borderlands is like sex. You've got to play with at least one other person for it to be really fun. Sure, you can play with yourself and get the same result but the journey's not the same.

Far as the DLC goes, I absolutely loathe GFWL so I'm going to hoist the ol' jolly roger for that. Arrrg matey! Hey, give me more than one option to buy and I will.

24. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 11, 2009, 21:14 Caveman

Woooo just hit 50 with my Siren.  

23. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 11, 2009, 20:07 Surf

This game sucks! Played 4 hours and just said "Oh great, new area, similar monsters that look bigger with different colors.... repeat"

So boring! Glad I didn't buy it. Delete.

22. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 11, 2009, 19:32 Veinman

If there is a sequel, they need a full character creator, and cool melee weapons. Also an editor. I'm sure I'll think of more.  

21. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 11, 2009, 18:50 xXBatmanXx

I have over 20 hours on 4 characters, and outside of he "join multiplayer game and get 20 missions you know nothing about" - I am very happy with my 34.00 purchase.

I will most likely play through the game from start to finish with 2-3 friends, ending up with close to 100 hours by the time I am done.

Great game with some annoyances.

Agreed on the "fuck it" as after you jump the gorge, NPCs who give you missions all look the same and no longer have dialogue!? WTF!!>!>!?!?

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

20. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 11, 2009, 18:43 space captain

its a fun game, but pretty short - i did every story and side mission, and total play time was 22 hours

while i really love the art style, the other creative aspects are fairly shit - the story is skeletal at best, and also meaningless. i get the feeling they had an outline for about 75% of a story and at some point said "fuck it!" and just used the outline instead of doing any actual writing.

and actually the ending of the game made the whole experience drop down a few notches for me - its THAT bad

overall a worthwhile rental for me.. its certainly fun while it lasts, but thats about it

Go forth, and kill!

19. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 11, 2009, 17:39 Prez

There is no need to pirate the game, stop justifying.

Not justifying; simply stating a fact. I don't give a rat's rectum if you think I'm the devil incarnate. I don't need your validation.

There are extended walkthrough videos on sites like giantbomb.com, and it's not hard to read comments and reviews and see why some people love it and some people hate it. Gamers are different, you can put their likes and dislikes into categories that mirror your own.

You've used the same argument before, and it is still just as weak. If that was all it took to determine if a game is for you or not, no one would ever make a demo, as they would be unnecessary, not to mention a waste of money, as they take some resources to produce.

At any rate, I'm just as likely to wait for a sale to mitigate the risk.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2009, 17:43.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 11, 2009, 17:33 StingingVelvet

I honestly am considering pirating the game just to see if I like it. If I do, then I would pay for it in a heartbeat.

There are extended walkthrough videos on sites like giantbomb.com, and it's not hard to read comments and reviews and see why some people love it and some people hate it. Gamers are different, you can put their likes and dislikes into categories that mirror your own.

There is no need to pirate the game, stop justifying. Watch some videos, read some impressions, make up your mind.

A quick summary from my point of view:

+ Great mouse aim, smooth shooting
+ Lovely art style, great visuals
+ Diablo as an FPS, never has a game been so easy to categorize
+ Addicting gun collection, new game+ mode and coop

- Clunky UI
- Have to force AA, larger FOV and some other niche PC gamer stuff

There, done. Watch a video, read that, then you should know if you want the game.

17. Re: Borderlands 2? Nov 11, 2009, 16:50 Prez

I really wish there was a demo. As it is, it seems that for everyone who says they love it and it's great, there's someone else who says it's clunky and dull. I'd like to see which side of the fence I might fall on without blowing 40 bucks on something I may hate.

I honestly am considering pirating the game just to see if I like it. If I do, then I would pay for it in a heartbeat.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2009, 16:51.

- Mahatma Gandhi

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo