Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam)

Activision announces Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is now available in stores. Interestingly, the version purchased through Steam will not unlock until Thursday night, presumably some sort of concession to retail. Also, there's a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 video interview on GameVideos talking about the game with Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling and there are a bunch of videos on GameTrailers: Hornet's Nest Gameplay Part I, Hornet's Nest Gameplay Part II, Favela Gameplay Part I, Favela Gameplay Part II, Wolverines Gameplay, No Russian Gameplay HD, Third-Person Multiplayer Gameplay, Multiplayer Killstreak, Spec Ops AC-130 Gameplay, and Spec Ops Defend Gameplay. Here's word on the game's release:

Picking up following the historic events of Call of Duty® 4: Modern Warfare®, Modern Warfare 2 completely immerses players in one of the most intense storylines, filled with unexpected plot twists and death-defying battles set in exotic locales across the globe. As gamers fight to save the world from annihilation, the soundtrack of Academy Award®, Golden Globe® Award and Grammy® Award winning composer Hans Zimmer sets the dark and ominous tone for a truly cinematic gaming experience. Modern Warfare 2 marks the first time that the legendary artist has scored a video game.

Delivering the complete package, in addition to the heart-racing intensity of the single player campaign, Modern Warfare 2 also offers an entirely new gameplay mode, "Special Ops," which supports 2-player co-operative play via online or split screen dropping gamers into a surplus of time-trial and objective-based missions. As players rank-up, ever challenging missions are unlocked, including highlights from the single player campaign, fan favorites from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and all new, exclusive missions. While, the all-new Multiplayer mode raises the bar even higher from the world-record setting online play from its predecessor delivering new capabilities, customization, gamestates and modes, including customizable killstreaks, accolades and new create-a-class features.

View
165 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 12:27 Verno

Ironically this sounds more interesting than MW2.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 12:12 Tumbler

Interestingly, the version purchased through Steam will not unlock until Thursday night, presumably some sort of concession to retail.

Ah, now it makes sense why so many DD systems chose not to sell Modern Warfare 2. I think steam is one of the few that will offer it, and that was a puzzle to me, the other DD guys said it was because steam had to be installed to use it but that didn't seem like enough to warrant dropping the cash cow that is MW2. Not unlocking till Thursday almost assures that your sales will be crippled.

Retail apparently came in strong on this game, even steam has to wait!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 12:10 SirKnight

No way am I paying over $25 for this. CoD4 to me wasn't worth any more than that, but I fell for the hype for that one. Not any more.

My plan is to just watch a complete walkthrough on youtube of the single player. CoD is really just an interactive movie instead of a game anyway so watching someone else play it is just as good.

I may rent it on the 360 one day in the future if I have nothing else left. I've been renting CoD:WaW right now for the 360. I plan on playing through it just to see what's there since I have it, but I'm glad I never bought it. It's just honestly not all that exciting to me. The only part I've thought was pretty cool was torching dudes with the flame thrower. It reminds me of the old game Kingpin.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 2009, 12:13.

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 11:56 AutoSear

Grrr! I hate it when the dedicated server files aren't released ahead of the game. Oh wait...  

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 11:43 Verno

A Treyarch title.  

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Excep Nov 10, 2009, 11:39 sc4r4b

I got CoD:W@W for 25 bucks on steam. It was a weekend promotion.  

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 11:37 Fion

Apparently the single player is as short as 4-5 hours long and the multiplayer is basically identical to the last game (which IMHO was a pretty boring multiplayer shooter compared to what else I was playing at the time (mostly TF2.)

So yea, that's $60 I won't be spending.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 11:33 ColBlister

Sixty freakin bucks? For more of the same? I've got plenty of other titles with more originality at far lower cost. Thanks anyway.  

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 11:32 Rossafur

Yeah... don't think this game will be discounted at all anytime soon. COD4 was still alternating between $59.99 and $49.99 on 360 and PS3 last time I looked. Not sure when it ever went down to $39.99 on PC, but it was in this past year.  

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 11:27 Zardoz5

Verno is 100% correct & people need to STOP blaming Valve for this. Once again Activision/IW screw the folks that purchased it digital distribution. The PC Gamer that purchased this game deserves everything they get & I have no sympathy for them.

I don't think it so much a matter of Activision trying to screw people over since Steam clearly stated the game was only available a few days after the release date. Its more a matter of Activision still needing the retail guys to be happy enough with them to continue sell their plastic instrument music games, _______ Hero X, etc.

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Excep Nov 10, 2009, 11:27 Whiskers

it's number 1 because people are probably canceling their pre-order and rebuying it thinking there is something wrong and that's why it won't unlock (sarcasm).

I'm waiting for a "real" review of this game for the PC. I won't give them my $60 bucks if the multiplayer sucks compared to CoD 4 and WaW, which I can just go load up and play.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Excep Nov 10, 2009, 11:24 Techie714 ©

Best Buy's customer support is the polar OPPOSITE of what was described here. Sold me a previously swapped PS3 with broken hard drive then declined to replace it.

Then why do you shop at Best Buy? It's people like you that are part of the problem of not supporting well made games, & supporting horrible companies like Best Buy, Walmart, etc. Your only saving in grace in my book is that you are buying this game for console & not PC. Only a fool would purchase it on PC. /Rant

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 11:22 Verno

By the time I have nothing else to play, this game should be selling for half price

I don't know why people keep saying this, Call of Duty titles don't get discounted for shit. You won't find a half-price Call of Duty until the next title ships. It's not like Valve titles with Steam and half-off sales or whatever, Activision doesn't do that and most retailers don't either. If you're willing to wait that long then fair enough but don't expect it for a long time.

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Excep Nov 10, 2009, 11:20 sc4r4b

And MW2 had jumped to the number 1 spot on steam. Sad...  

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Excep Nov 10, 2009, 11:19 RenStrike

If you pre-ordered MW2 over steam and want to cancel your order simply contact steam support. They had my order canceled and reimbursed me within 1.5 hours. Smoothest customer service experience ever. Now to pick up MW2 at Best Buy on the way home.

BTW. Best Buy's customer support is the polar OPPOSITE of what was described here. Sold me a previously swapped PS3 with broken hard drive then declined to replace it.

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 11:14 Wowbagger_TIP

By the time I have nothing else to play, this game should be selling for half price. Between Borderlands, Dragon Age, Torchlight and finally digging Fallout 3 out again to play through with mods, not to mention my existing backlog of games I just haven't gotten around to, but can pick up cheap now, I'm gonna have plenty to keep me going for months. This game can definitely wait.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 10:57 Techie714 ©

I'm no Valve defender but really, how is that Valves fault? They get told a date by the publisher. They don't get to release the game whenever they see fit, it's not their game. The publisher can tell them to sit on it for a year and if it doesn't violate their agreement then they'll have to do it.

Verno is 100% correct & people need to STOP blaming Valve for this. Once again Activision/IW screw the folks that purchased it digital distribution. The PC Gamer that purchased this game deserves everything they get & I have no sympathy for them.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 10:54 deadearth

Yeah, it's not like steam didn't tell customers it was going to be released on the 12th. If you were a pc gamer and wanted to play it on the 10th, you should have bought it retail and activated it on steam. Those people get to play it on the 10th (as far as I understand it).

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 10:49 Verno

I'm no Valve defender but really, how is that Valves fault? They get told a date by the publisher. They don't get to release the game whenever they see fit, it's not their game. The publisher can tell them to sit on it for a year and if it doesn't violate their agreement then they'll have to do it.  

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Modern Warfare 2 (Except for Steam) Nov 10, 2009, 10:47 Veinman

It certainly seems to illustrate that Valve's dedication to PC gamers can certainly be bought.  

165 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo