Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Cut "Over a Dozen" Games, MoH "Revitalization" Nears

Gamasutra reports on the post-earnings conference call following up on EA's finacial reporting, where EA CEO John Riccitiello said of the 1500 jobs lost, saying: "these cuts are essential to transforming our company." Big Download has another tidbit from the call, saying that as part of their cost cutting EA has cancelled "over a dozen" games. Finally, G4tv.com's story on the call reports EA Games label head Frank Gibeau said a "revitalization" of the Medal of Honor franchise will be revealed soon.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: MoH Nov 10, 2009, 22:16 Kxmode

"MeH"  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2009, 10:43 Beamer

Isn't the COD series basically a rip-off of the MOH series?

You guys could distinguish between the early 90s versions? I couldn't.

Anyway, I'm surprised no one has read EAs report and mentioned what platform led Q2 2010.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

40. Re: MoH "Revitalization" Nears Nov 10, 2009, 09:36 Verno

So yes, I think it's safe to say that combat will be easier than DA, and the game will be substantially shorter than the 70 hours that it takes to beat DA.

Mass Effect on hardcore is no slouch in difficulty. Dragon Age in Normal isn't anywhere near as hard as people think, it's mainly that you have to micro-manage and can't count on the Tactics for shit on anything but Easy. Both games are pretty difficult in their own right, I had some real hair pulling moments in Mass Effect on the highest difficulty (screw you Krogen immunity).

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

39. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2009, 08:16 Rosco

Like regenerating health?

Bravo, I like the cut of your jib. Right now is the perfect time for a
"revitalization" of the Medal of Honor franchise
All they have to do is come up with a fairly decent game, and say these magic words,,, "Our game comes with dedicated server for PC"

Consoles are schwag.

38. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2009, 07:29 BobBob

a game that was superior to MoH:AA in almost every respect.

Like regenerating health?

37. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2009, 07:11 Hump

"Ripping off" would imply cashing in with a mediocre or inferior game. The main group who did the seminal MoH:Allied Assault left to form Infinity Ward of which CoD was their first release.....a game that was superior to MoH:AA in almost every respect.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 2009, 07:12.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

36. Re: MoH "Revitalization" Nears Nov 10, 2009, 06:40 Silicon Avatar

EA should sell some of their unused properties to make money.

Starflight, Sentinel Worlds, Ultima single player...

35. Re: MoH "Revitalization" Nears Nov 10, 2009, 06:04 Zzet

Yeesh, 1500 jobs. I hope those people find employment quickly. Also, MoH needs a revitalisation like Halo needs an animated movie.  

34. Re: MoH Nov 10, 2009, 02:58 Prez

Uhh, Jerykk, someone hijacked your account.

When I read the headline, my first thought was out of the dozen games cancelled, 11 of them were probably Sims expansions.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: MoH Nov 10, 2009, 01:33 Jerykk

Dragon Age sucked. It didn't have Marilyn Manson music. And you can't even aim or control every attack, nor can you take cover and regenerate your health. I returned it immediately. MW2 will be a million times better than this.  

32. Re: MoH Nov 10, 2009, 01:19 Flatline

The irritating thing is that Bio probably listens to those little Ritalin poppers and makes their next game much, much shorter, because after all, any game that you can't play through and complete in a single three hour session is just a bad game

Well, their next game is Mass Effect 2. The first game played through for me in about 30 hours.

So yes, I think it's safe to say that combat will be easier than DA, and the game will be substantially shorter than the 70 hours that it takes to beat DA.

I really wouldn't mind a tandem, parallel development effort at bioware where they turned out first hardcore crpgs, and then the lightweight action movie RPGs like Mass Effect alternately.

I'd buy both to be frank. I loved Mass Effect for what it was. I'm enjoying Dragon Age for what it is minus a few quirks. But yes, it has been a long time since I sunk my teeth into a good CRPG. WoW and other MMOs don't have this same thread of narrative persistence due to the necessity of having repeatable quests for anyone who wanders through.

I remember one quest line in felwood where I killed off a bad guy to end a quest chain. Later I came back to fulfill another quest, and got to kill all the same bosses again, and even ran by the NPC that I had rescued earlier. It really kind of destroys the narrative of the game for me.

31. Re: MoH Nov 10, 2009, 01:07 Beamer

There have been plenty of businesses run into the ground by people who knew their product, but knew jack about running a business

See: nearly every small studio to go under lately.
Of course, small studios need someone that knows both. In EA, the CEO likely has very little say in any actual gaming matter. Putting someone that knows games there is mostly irrelevant.
Not to mention that the vast majority of people complaining here likely have nothing on their resume indicating they know games, yet would argue otherwise, so I'm sure he could.
Not to mention he likely knows games better than anyone here since he's spending 80 hours a week at EA.

Total compensation for 2009...$6,365,823.00

His actual salary was $750k, give or take. Stock options account for the vast majority of this.
He's got a long standing reputation for running businesses well, and EA has been profitable under him.
But people here complain, because it's really part of gaming to them. Complaining is just a form of grinding.

We could let Riccitiello go, but does anyone think running EA is such a wonderful job that you can replace him significantly cheaper? Or that anyone could do the job significantly better?

The main complaint people have is that he has been selling more games. Oh no! Or that he's been letitng people go. Someone the assumption here is that once you join a studio you should be in for life, even if the studio can't make anything decent. Sometimes studios get split up. Often it's bad management (and, with these small studios, the guy doing the management is often the guy making most of the calls on the game, aka not-a-suit.) Someone in another thread here pointed out that it happened to him and he ended up at another studio with better management. That's mostly how it happens. Not every business stays afloat.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

30. Re: MoH Nov 10, 2009, 00:34 Cheese

sadly its true Creston, the new patch for DA has tuned the combat to be more easy. I dont like it but this is what has been done. I don't mind EA for they have brought many happy times for alot of people, i just hate to see people in this country loose a job. We need to establish people as the value and not just the end product, only then shall we grow as a nation.

This comment was edited on Nov 10, 2009, 00:35.

29. Re: MoH Nov 10, 2009, 00:19 NKD

That's fair, but people who bought the game because they liked the ads are probably people who

Sadly you're probably right.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

28. Re: MoH Nov 10, 2009, 00:15 Creston

I actually kinda like the concept, in that it probably fooled some braindead turds into expanding their horizons and trying a full on CRPG for once.

That's fair, but people who bought the game because they liked the ads are probably people who

- Don't like the game
- Complain about the difficult combat
- Complain about how long certain quests are.

Seriously, the Fade section of the Mage's tower, one of my favoritest sections in an RPG EVER, is CONSTANTLY getting bitched at for being so long on Bio's forums...

The irritating thing is that Bio probably listens to those little Ritalin poppers and makes their next game much, much shorter, because after all, any game that you can't play through and complete in a single three hour session is just a bad game nowadays... Furious

Creston

27. Re: MoH Nov 10, 2009, 00:06 Kosumo

eat a dick john, a salty well used dick.

May I put forth a well used seaman salty sailor special with free side of crunchy crabs? (I got it cheap from a guy down the wharfs) Urk

26. Re: MoH Nov 10, 2009, 00:01 the_culture

I hear the "Revitalization" is going to more closely mirror the wildly successful CoD series, and will feature a level where you play a Nazi guard stuffing Jews into a gas chamber. I think there's a special achievement if you get the right number of women and children. But it's all cool though - it's all done "in the right context," and players have the option of skipping it.

I see what you did there...

25. Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2009, 23:54 BobBob

24. Re: MoH Nov 9, 2009, 23:53 NKD

Let's hope they fired every fucking idiot that came up with the Dragon Age ad campaign. Fuck, could that have been any MORE removed from what the game actually is??

I actually kinda like the concept, in that it probably fooled some braindead turds into expanding their horizons and trying a full on CRPG for once.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

23. Re: MoH Nov 9, 2009, 23:50 Creston

Let's hope they fired every fucking idiot that came up with the Dragon Age ad campaign. Fuck, could that have been any MORE removed from what the game actually is??

Creston

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo