Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Layoffs?

Rumors about that a rash of layoffs came down today at Electronic Arts, the report on Kotaku says they've heard the cuts impact "hundreds" of employees, including staff at EA's Tiburon and Black Box studios, EA Redwood Shores' QA team, and Mythic Entertainment, and according to separate report on this topic on Bite My Review Warhammer Online is going into "maintenance mode." Kotaku points to Tweets purportedly from former employees, one saying "HUGE chunks of EA" are involved, and another saying this hit about 40% of the staff at Mythic Entertainment. EA's quarterly financial reporting is imminent, so this presumably will be cleared up soon.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 10, 2009, 09:19 Verno

Mirror's Edge and Dead Space were "sales disappointments" according to EA, I have no clue what the actual figures are and don't really care to look myself but someone else can feel free. They said they will stick with the franchises however and hopefully the sequels do better. Warhammer sold well but has a horrible retention ratio which is why it's considered a failure. The trouble with MMOs in general is that you need to launch with feature parity to WoW because that's the bar people expect. It would take a decade and hundreds of millions of dollars to launch with feature parity with WoW, it's literally impossible these days. Customers try the launches to see something new then they take off because they won't wait for the devs to patch in what they liked about WoW. EA took a big gamble and lost on that one.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 9, 2009, 18:05 Stanly Manly

Then they started producing IPs like Dead Space, Mirror's Edge and Warhammer Online, then they start to lose a lot of money.

How could one group games like Mirror's Edge and Dead Space with Warhammer? I own the first two, and they were solid games(Dead Space being one of THE best I have ever played). Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't both fairly successful, or at least profitable?

Lots of people saw the writing on the wall with Warhammer from long ago. The game tried too hard to be simultaneously exactly like WoW, and nothing like WoW. It was needlessly convoluted in its UI, yet unbelievably chinchy on its character animations and action queuing system. Simply put, the game was just a big red hype ribbon around a really stinky turd.

20. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 17:53 peteham

Where the fuck are these 'tards spending all that money? Wait, I know, on fucking advertising...
Let's hope the people fired were on the Dragon Age marketing team. From what I've seen of the game so far, it's every bit as good as the advertisement-campaign was bad.

And that's saying something.

19. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 9, 2009, 17:24 HellSlayer

I have a revelation for you guys. EA was the company that gave the jobs in the first place! Wow what a concept!  
o0

18. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 17:23 Tumbler

Blizzard got to where it is today by understanding their customers and treating them as fellow gamers should. Not by spitting in their eye and then holding a hand out for more coin.

I think it's more important to treat your employees with care than your customers. Your products will only be as good as your weakest link and I'm under the impression that people working with Blizzard get treated very well. (and this is only because I've never heard otherwise) EA on the other hand seems to treat it's employees like leaches and burns them off whenever possible.

A connection with your audience is a plus but it's the employee relationship that is what cultivates a great game. People have to want to make it great, you can't budget that into a project, it's either there or it's not. (Again I'm speaking from a place of almost complete ignorance on the subject, i've never been part of a game development group but that is how I imagine it works)

Edit: Wow, so many spelling errors...

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2009, 17:26.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

17. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 17:17 Creston

Then they started producing IPs like Dead Space, Mirror's Edge and Warhammer Online, then they start to lose a lot of money.

Correlation does not equal causality. Warhammer Online's been pretty much a bust, but Mirror's Edge sold pretty decently. EA's problem is that it's way too fucking big. If you're employing three times more suits than actual game developers, maybe at some point even your best games can't support all the mouths that they need to feed anymore.

Most of these big publishers run their companies like complete imbeciles anyways. All you ever hear out of the big guys is "lost 60 million dollars this quarter, lost 40 million, lost 80 million."

Where the fuck are these 'tards spending all that money? Wait, I know, on fucking advertising...

If all you needed to fund was your game devs and the money they need to build games, I'm pretty sure you could make a really tidy profit. Instead, places like EA support game devs, their games, 1200 marketoids, 56 Senior Vice Presidents, 18 Executive Vice Presidents, probably 2000 dipshits in "Human Resources" (biggest waste of money in the history of the world,) and 500 beancounters to come up with creative ways to hide the fact that they're bleeding to death.

Good job, EA. Sarcasticclap

Creston

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2009, 17:18.

16. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 17:15 Donkey_Punch

The sad thing is that I actually recall when I actually liked EA.

Not since the C64 days and early Amiga days

15. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 17:13 nin

EA and Activision are in a race to who can be the biggest bastard by the holidays.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 17:03 JoeNapalm

The sad thing is that I actually recall when I actually liked EA.

Of course, I think I was playing Archon at the time...

EA puts out some decent games...they do...but they do so with such contempt for their customers that it's ludicrous. I don't understand how all of these companies can look at Blizzard and think that somehow the key to replicating their success is to clone their games.

Blizzard got to where it is today by understanding their customers and treating them as fellow gamers should. Not by spitting in their eye and then holding a hand out for more coin.

Idiots.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

13. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 16:42 derelict koan

You know what would solve this problem EA?...more marketing...ever more awesome ads filled with wondrous promises of cool, so that we may remember you...mighty EA, as the answer to our gaming needs...at least until our eyes fail and we sue you  
www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

11. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 16:36 ldonyo

This has been a pattern to EA for several years now. They buy a development outfit, churn out one good and two or three mediocre (at best) titles, bleed all of the passion from that game franchise and then lay off all of those developers to try and cut costs. The road through the gaming industry is strewn with the wreckage of EA acquisitions of the past and there will be plenty more in the future.  

10. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 16:12 Techie714

EA makes games based on demographics studies, market research, sales projections, etc etc... Where is the passion in that? There isn't!

Best comment of the DAY! I think you just summed it up best LittleMe.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2009, 16:12.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

9. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 16:07 LittleMe

EA makes games based on demographics studies, market research, sales projections, etc etc... Where is the passion in that? There isn't!  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

8. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 15:58 Rhett

While I hope the people getting laid off find some work elsewhere (don't need any more people without jobs :P)... EA does put out some awful games. I typically avoid them, and have been, for a while now. It'd be nice if their teams of suck would just dissipate.  

7. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 15:58 LittleMe

I hope it goes well for the people being laid off. That said I'm perfectly fine with EA shrinkage. It's like they just got out of the cold water in November and now everyone can point at how small it got.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

6. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 15:52 bigspender

eat shit EA I hate you  

5. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 15:49 Kxmode

WAR. WAR changes.  

4. Re: EA Layoffs? Nov 9, 2009, 15:47 Verno

Uh, they have been? EA started a focus on original properties awhile ago. They can't focus exclusively on those considering their massive size and the number of marketable IP's they own though. Amusingly enough when they were knocking out nothing but sequels they were making money. Then they started producing IPs like Dead Space, Mirror's Edge and Warhammer Online, then they start to lose a lot of money.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

3. Re: Big News! Nov 9, 2009, 15:44 Techie714

This is huge news since they have a financial report coming out soon. EA has to be bleeding money at a huge burn rate. Based upon the internet reports "hundreds" sounds about right. Maybe if EA started making good games & focusing more on quality & features over pure quantity.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo