Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On the MW2 Street Date

Noting that they've seen reports of retailers claiming they have permission to sell Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 before its November 10 release date (like this and this), Activision sends along a concise refutation: "Activision has not given any retailer permission to sell Modern Warfare 2 prior to the Nov. 10 street date. The company fully supports the Nov.10 street date." There's also a Tweet from Robert Bowling repeating this, but also saying: "That said, we won't punish players for it."

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 22:52 zirik

gogamer sells import items at discount. they only hurt pc game sales because import items probably would not count as an item sold in their intended market.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 15:38 xXBatmanXx

Historically Call of Duty games don't really discount too often and when they do it isn't for much but hopefully lack of demand will drive the price down here.

Bullshit. I bought CoD4 3-4 months after release for 30.00 at gogamer. I also bought WaW for he same price in the same timeline.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

39. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 14:14 Prez

They sell less and less each year.

Source?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 12:24 Jerykk

Most recently we had Doom 3 at $59.99. I got 3-4 hours out of that game.

Really? Doom 3 was about 10 hours long for me.

I can guarantee MW2 is a significantly better purchase (although I'll be making it for the 360, which will definitely have a stronger online community.)

If you don't like what Activision is doing, you shouldn't buy the game for ANY platform. Buying it for 360 just tells them that what they are doing is okay.

Source? If PC ports are selling less and less each year, why are we getting more and more each year? BF:BC2, Mercenaries 2, Street Fighter 4, Bionic Commando... games or series that previously had no PC presence are now appearing on PC.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2009, 12:28.

37. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 11:01 Verno

How bout Beamer provides some data?

You made the claim, not him. You said that PC games/ports are selling better than PC games did years ago, so prove it. PC games have a severely decreased retail presence versus years ago so I don't see how this can possibly be true without factoring in digital distribution numbers that no company will provide anyways.

I think WoW, The Sims and Call of Duty sell a lot of copies but not "MORE AND MORE" than ever before considering there was no WoW predecessor and Call of Duty titles sales figures are relatively static on the PC, 2.0-3.0m per title. You claimed all pc games/ports sell "MORE AND MORE" which is really vague by the way and offered nothing to back it up other than some nonsense about working in retail. As if people are going to trust the retail employee about worldwide sales figures anyways.

Please remember that I work in retail, unfortunately I cant divulge company records even though I would really really like to in this case....

Boy that's sure convenient Rolleyes

I'm not saying Beamers argument is bullet proof but if you want to knock him then you're going to have to do better than "trust me im so right".

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2009, 11:13.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

36. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 10:37 InBlack

Care to back that up with some actual data?

How bout Beamer provides some data?

Lets just take a look at the COD series for example.

Are you telling me that you believe that every single Call of Duty game since Call of duty 1 (and Im talking about the PC versions only) sold LESS than the previous itterations?

Might as well believe that the earth is flat, or that God created the earth 10000 years ago.

Please remember that I work in retail, unfortunately I cant divulge company records even though I would really really like to in this case....

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 10:18 zirik

PC games also drop in price in ways that console games don't, so Activision knows that this will drop $10 somewhat soon anyway.

not true. cod4 still sells for $49.95 at major retail stores. activision knows they can shaft pc gamers on this one because of its longevity at a high price point. thats why they are doing it.

34. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 10:01 Verno

Historically Call of Duty games don't really discount too often and when they do it isn't for much but hopefully lack of demand will drive the price down here.

That is such crapola, PC Games/ports sell less and less each year when compared to console games/ports, but the fact of the matter is that when compared to other PC Games/ports from previous years they sell MORE and MORE.

Care to back that up with some actual data?

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2009, 10:02.

33. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 10:01 InBlack

That is such crapola, PC Games/ports sell less and less each year when compared to console games/ports, but the fact of the matter is that when compared to other PC Games/ports from previous years they sell MORE and MORE.

The only way that COD:MW2 (for the PC) is going to sell less copies than its predecessor is if there is a significant backlash from the price hike and the "no dedicated servers" issues. (I seriously doubt it though)

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2009, 10:03.

32. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 09:54 Beamer

It's not the first PC game to be $60, there were many in the old days that cost more than that. It is the first in recent times though...

Too true. I remember buying some games at $79.99.

Most recently we had Doom 3 at $59.99. I got 3-4 hours out of that game. I can guarantee MW2 is a significantly better purchase (although I'll be making it for the 360, which will definitely have a stronger online community.)

I'm not for it, but I'd understand if we're moving in that direction. PC ports still cost money. They sell less and less each year. The real question is whether increasing the price will help or hurt that. I think Activision is making two assumptions here:
1) People really want MW2
2) The people still using PCs are PC die-hards that won't buy it for consoles, so essentially there are no direct substitutions.

Probably two fair assumptions. Maybe not wholly true, but fair. In that regard I think they're really gambling here, know it, and don't care. They want to see what happens. PC games also drop in price in ways that console games don't, so Activision knows that this will drop $10 somewhat soon anyway.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

31. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 09:44 InBlack

I want to be punished! Please punish me Bobby! Punish me hard!  

30. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 09:39 Overon

I don't pay 59.99 plus tax for retail games. I'm a PC gamer. If you pay 59.99 for games you will see more PC games for 59.99 because they will charge what they can and what they can is based on if you buy. I'm not buying.

No dedicated server support gives Activision a stranglehold control over the multiplayer space. PC Gamers want some control over the multiplayer space. They are breaking the dedicated server tradition PC FPS gamers have had for a decade. If you buy it you are voting with your money that 59.99 is okay and no dedicated servers is okay too.

I'm going to make a bold prediction: They are not prepared for the Xbox360, PS3, and PC multiplayer load that they will experience, you will see problems with people not being able to join servers or laggy connections. Let's see if I'm right.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2009, 10:59.

29. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 09:34 Lincolns Mullet

I think with games in general too, it's all evened out in the end. Prices have relatively remained the same, costs have skyrocketed but has been made up in an increase in sales.

As far as MW2 charging more and offering less on the PC, it happened with the Madden transition from the old to new systems. They charged $60 on the 360 for a game that had been literally stripped to the bone in terms of features, and 4 years later are only getting around now to including enough to justify the cost.

But...people buy it anyway, so the practice continues...

28. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 09:11 Verno

Not only that, the PC version has less features than its previous iteration in almost every department.  

27. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 09:10 zirik

i agree with Agent.X7 on the price we pay for pc games. console manufacturers make up for selling their hardware at a loss by charging licensing fees for each game sold. infinity ward has no reason to do a price increase on the pc version unless they plan on throwing in all the upcoming expansion packs for free. but the last time they released expansion packs for cod4 it was sponsored by nvidia. so there really is no justification for a crippled pc version to be the same price as the console versions.  

26. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 09:02 Agent.X7

I wanted to comment on that PC pricing anyway. PC games in general have been one of the few products over the past 20 years to not see significant price increases. This has nothing do with MW2's pricing and any perception about what you are or aren't getting for $60. You could argue that about any damn game you've purchased over the past 30 years and whether it was worth the money or not. How much was a ticket to the movies in 1990? $4.50? I think I paid about $11 last time I went. Imagine if video games saw that kind of increase!

You can only charge what the market will bare. It has long been decided that $50 is about the mac max people will pay for games. Consoles justified an increase due to licensing fees. There are no such fees on PC, hence PC has been $10 less. You can only charge what people are willing to pay. Look at VHS, DVD, and now Blu-Ray. You don't get an install base worth supporting until the players come down to the $150 mark, and the movies the $20 mark. Sure, you make money from early adopters, but you won't stay afloat unless the masses pick it up.

Mac? That's a weird slip up...

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2009, 09:03.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

25. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 08:59 Verno

Dragon Age sure as hell doesn't deserve it either. Just more big name publisher over hyped tripe. Demon's Souls deserves it.

Dragon Age sure as hell deserves it. There is easily a hundred hours of content in one or two playthroughs, a fully featured toolset for modification and the production values are excellent. Demons Souls is an amazing game as well but you're really off base on Dragon Age. The marketing and pre-release DLC press had me squarely in the "this game is going to suck camp" but I was wrong, it's great.

24. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 08:09 Lincolns Mullet

I wanted to comment on that PC pricing anyway. PC games in general have been one of the few products over the past 20 years to not see significant price increases. This has nothing do with MW2's pricing and any perception about what you are or aren't getting for $60. You could argue that about any damn game you've purchased over the past 30 years and whether it was worth the money or not. How much was a ticket to the movies in 1990? $4.50? I think I paid about $11 last time I went. Imagine if video games saw that kind of increase!  

23. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 07:25 ASJD

Can we please get over this MW2 hype quickly. A standard 8 hour shooter shouldnt get all this attention. Dragon Age on the other hand would deserve it.

Dragon Age sure as hell doesn't deserve it either. Just more big name publisher over hyped tripe. Demon's Souls deserves it.

All these publishers are way too soft on street dates, street dates that don't even help the big retailers, customers, or the publisher themselves. Games get pirated simply because people can't buy a game in stores but they can download it. Gamestop can't sell a copy of MW2 but no name Generico retailer down the street can.

Retailers are thus not motivated to get games to customers sooner. It's sort of like communism for retail, and it's not making anyone happy except that local K-Mart that noone goes to who just got their first game sale.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2009, 07:25.

22. Re: On the MW2 Street Date Nov 9, 2009, 07:21 Flo

Can we please get over this MW2 hype quickly. A standard 8 hour shooter shouldnt get all this attention. Dragon Age on the other hand would deserve it.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo