Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cut Left 4 Dead 2 Demo Removes Gore, Adds Performance

PC Games Hardware has benchmarked the recently released demo for Left 4 Dead 2 compared with the version of the demo released in Germany that has some of the gore removed, and found the cut version runs about 40%(!) faster than the uncut version. Word is:

The direct comparison between cut an uncut version reveals huge differences in performance. It doesn't matter if we use a dual-core E6600 or quad-core Q6600 processor, the less violent version of the demo runs about 40 percent faster that the uncut version. Furthermore the difference between the two uncut results (dual-core vs. quad-core) is bigger, too, what indicates a higher CPU workload.

Since it is currently possible to play on "uncut" servers with a cut version of Left 4 Dead 2, the question arises if this could be an unfair advantage for some players. A scene that lags in the uncut version might be running smoothly in the cut version - especially in Versus Mode this could make the difference between death and survival. It is of course possible to lower the amount of violence in the uncut version via the command console though.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 7, 2009, 20:20 eRe4s3r

Not its not just you - I don't see what all the hype behind it is as well..

I guess i am too much SP focused, and from that vantage l4d just plain sucks. Its not even a fourth of a real game. Its just arcade skirmish with retarded bots... on both sides..

And i wish they'd let the source engine die already - even when it was new it wasn't exactly ground-breaking good looking, but nowadays.... compared to UT3 and comparable engines..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 7, 2009, 14:43 Kxmode

Maybe its just me but L4D2 feels "meh". The entire game feels like one big gimmick. I'm obviously missing the "thing" that has made everyone a fan.  

25. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 7, 2009, 00:11 tony

Why am I the only person noticing the extremely low framerates they're getting on the 5870 with this game? As I said already, my gtx 260 core 216 gets better frame rates than this at that resolution.  

24. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 21:47 Caveman

Yes just like the console. If you want other players flashlight illuminating then there Killing Floor that's zombie blasting as well.

Too bad Killing Floor sucks ass compared to Left 4 Dead. No wait it sucks in general.

23. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 21:46 Cutter

I find this game pretty boring actually. Just running around shooting zombies, big whoop. Had they made it more like an adventure - ala Zombieland - that would be cool.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2009, 21:47.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

22. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 20:40 raVen

Is that all you run? And you call yourself a PC gamer...
Uh, I think that was his point.

21. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 19:44 Nameless Again

the less violent version of the demo runs about 40 percent faster that the uncut version.

This just in from the No-Shit department.

OH MY GOD MY $130 4870 FROM LAST YEAR

Is that all you run? And you call yourself a PC gamer...

20. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 19:26 Prez

OH MY GOD MY $130 4870 FROM LAST YEAR IS ONLY GETTING 100FPS INSTEAD OF 140FPS WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO????

Good to know you are still your same derisive and condescending self. Oh wait, no it's not...

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

19. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 19:22 Kosumo

I did not look at his post history, but did wonder about the "Bats" in the post. The first part of it was spot on I thought. Still, fire? Dude, fire can get out of control and kill others! Uhoh  

18. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 19:18 SM0k3

I was just saying how cool the new gore and rag doll effects were, then they go and remove them!  

17. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 18:49 Overon

Also, one of the things that bugs me is that other players' flashlights don't illuminate the surroundings on your screen. Is that in the PC version?
Yes just like the console. If you want other players flashlight illuminating then there Killing Floor that's zombie blasting as well.

16. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 18:24 bcanceldirt

Been playing the hell out of the 360 demo, and loving every minute of it. For all you guys playing it on the PC - do the dead bodies still fade out relatively quickly? I can't tell if it's a design decision or just a performance trade-off for the console. Also, one of the things that bugs me is that other players' flashlights don't illuminate the surroundings on your screen. Is that in the PC version?  

15. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 18:09 nin

WTF nin? Did MrBones bone your dog or something?

Look at his post history - he's been trolling Bats for awhile now.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 17:56 Kosumo

WTF nin? Did MrBones bone your dog or something?  

13. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 17:39 Ruffiana

Splattering the virtual camera lens with blood could potentially a few layers of overdraw for the entire scene.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2009, 17:40.

12. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 17:11 nin

Please die in a fire, MrBone.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 16:58 elefunk

OH MY GOD MY $130 4870 FROM LAST YEAR IS ONLY GETTING 100FPS INSTEAD OF 140FPS WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO DO????

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2009, 16:58.

10. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 16:44 tony

Something is off with those benchmarks - those are horribly low results for the highest powered GPU on the market at 1680x1050. Perhaps amd's drivers are no good. Either way, I get those results, if not better, on my gtx 260 core 216.  

9. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 16:41 The PC Warrior

no one likes you here or irl mrbones.

I liked how visceral and violent the L4D2 demo was, but probably not enough to justify a FORTY PERCENT hit in performance!

my fps was still like 80 so more than playable.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2009, 16:42.

8. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 16:16 MrBone

But...if you have a decent system, you will notice absolutely no performance hit whatsoever. Take notes on that Bats.  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo