Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Torchlight Mods

RGF's Torchlight Mods Database offers a one-stop repository of user-created modifications for Torchlight, Runic Games' recently released action/RPG. Thanks Ant.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Torchlight on Penny Arcade Nov 5, 2009, 12:11 Kxmode

Cute Penny Arcade comic based on Torchlight:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/11/4/price-loyalty/

I suspected as much. From now on I sell all my trash myself! Wolf cannot be trusted!

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2009, 12:18.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: I need explanation Nov 4, 2009, 19:14 Cthulhu

@NobleAtreides: Since you admit you are in need of 'enlightenment' here you go

"Is't the MOD just used to add +9999 to every single item in game, and just walk thru the dungeon, killing everything in sight just by opening a chest"?

What you describe is variously called a cheat, cheat code or if it's a program used to accomplish this, a trainer.

A cheat is a generic definition of something used to gain an advantage in a game.

Cheat codes are sometimes built in to a game by the developers and are usually unlocked by accessing the game's console and typing them in or by editing a configuration file in the game to allow access to the console.

"Trainers" are programs (some have neen known to be malware infested) that edit or alter the game's code in such a way as to allow an unfair advantage like unlimited health or manna, infinite ammo, all weapons etc by directly injecting themselves in to a game. This is why the "trainer" must be launched BEFORE the game so it can 'intercept' the relevant addresses in memory to alter the gameplay.

Just do an internet search for "{insert game name} trainer" and you'll be surprised just how easy they are to find for most games..

The MODS for Torchlight are none of the above. Mods like the Blue Ice Cat mod or the Bees mod don't give an unfair advantage, they add new looks to existing characters or add new balanced features that were left out of the game by it's designers.

Torchlight by opening up their mod tools are encouraging the community to add more content and items to the game and the best mods like someone else has already said, tend to become game's in their own right so it's a win/win for Runic as well as the Torchlight community for Runic to allow the modding of the game.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
- Cthulhu fhtagn: 479'S, 12643'W Cthulhu

24. Re: I need explanation Nov 4, 2009, 15:27 Wowbagger_TIP

Is't the MOD just used to add +9999 to every single item in game, and just walk thru the dungeon, killing everything in sight just by opening a chest? I don't get it. Enlighten me.
Only the most basic mods tend to do that kind of stuff. Basically those are just cheats. Most good mods don't do anything like that. Go visit this site and see the types of mods you can get for Fallout 3. It should change your views on mods.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/top/

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

23. Re: Torchlight Mods Nov 4, 2009, 15:26 DG

seems this game continues your demo saves, might just have to buy this, though I really dont have the time  

22. Re: Torchlight Mods Nov 4, 2009, 15:01 PropheT

I don't get it. Enlighten me.

If you haven't used mods with Fallout 3 you haven't played it.

Anything from tweaking the difficulty to just where you like it, to new guns and armor, to adding weather to the game, to just fixing bugs... it adds a life to a game that it wouldn't otherwise have after you've played it for a little while.

And then there's mods that become their own games, like TeamFortress or CounterStrike, or Day of Defeat.

It's about people who play the game saying, "Yeah, but I wish I could..." and then making it happen.

21. Re: I need explanation Nov 4, 2009, 14:44 LittleMe

Noble, a gameboy doesn't qualify as mod experience. Neither did your NES nor your 2600.

If you played Quake1 CTF, Team Fortress, Desert Combat or Project Reality then you'd understand. Go learn for yourself why the best mods changed the gaming industry.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

20. Re: I need explanation Nov 4, 2009, 14:31 Skullguise

Yeah Noble - cuz games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, Vampire: The Masquerade, Gothic, etc etc etc etc TOTALLY didn't need any of the millions of mods that completely changed the gameplay eh?

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2009, 14:32.

19. Re: Torchlight on Penny Arcade Nov 4, 2009, 14:28 Creston

HAHAHAHAHHAA that's awesome.

Creston

18. Torchlight on Penny Arcade Nov 4, 2009, 13:55 Shok

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/11/4/price-loyalty/

17. Re: Game Reviews Nov 4, 2009, 13:36 BobBob

A lot of mods add entire new storylines and campaigns; like a free expansion.  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

16. Re: Torchlight Mods Nov 4, 2009, 13:24 Tranceport

I challenge you all, in a 1 vs 1 fight to the death in air sea battle on the atari. By the way, who doesn't like mods?  

15. I need explanation Nov 4, 2009, 13:00 NobleAtreides

After 30 years of gaming and electronics, I have yet to comprehend the need or desire for a MOD to a game. Particularly to a single player game like Torchlight, and the hack'n'slash genre.

Is't the MOD just used to add +9999 to every single item in game, and just walk thru the dungeon, killing everything in sight just by opening a chest? I don't get it. Enlighten me.

14. Re: Torchlight Mods Nov 4, 2009, 12:46 LittleMe

Sarcasm detection failure.  

13. Re: Torchlight Mods Nov 4, 2009, 12:18 nin

It doesn't have to be a sprint to play every game out there when it comes out.

Oh yes it does!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12. Re: Torchlight Mods Nov 4, 2009, 12:15 Wowbagger_TIP

Stormsinger has a point though. It doesn't have to be a sprint to play every game out there when it comes out. Save a few for those famine times...  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

11. Re: Torchlight Mods Nov 4, 2009, 11:39 Creston

Yeah, I've only been gaming since the late 70s

Rookie! Grin

Creston

10. Re: Torchlight Mods Nov 4, 2009, 11:31 nin

Really. Christmas is the toy season.. Only been that way for a few hundred years or so, you must be new here.

Yeah, I've only been gaming since the late 70s...thank goodness you pointed out the blatantly obvious!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Torchlight Mods Nov 4, 2009, 11:31 strich

wow, really LittleMe?

did you bother hovering over nin's name there on the right and look at his rank?

do you think this is his first day on the job? ignoring the fact that he just named out about 5+ games that he's trying to play.

who's the new one?

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

8. Re: Torchlight Mods Nov 4, 2009, 11:16 LittleMe

No, really??????????????

Really. Christmas is the toy season.. Only been that way for a few hundred years or so, you must be new here.

7. Re: Game Reviews Nov 4, 2009, 10:56 BobBob

How do you add the RSS feed to Thunderbird mail?

It would be nice if the database was broken into categories.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2009, 11:04.

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo