Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

So after my joking about not knowing what I was voting for yesterday, we hit the polls and learned about two propositions on the ballot. One of them involved allowing six acres to be used for power lines in exchange for at least ten acres of undeveloped land in return. The woman checking voter registration then informed me that it was actually over forty acres, and I asked how we could know, and she told me that was because the deal was done already. I made sure I understood her, and she said yes, the proposition on the ballot was for something that had already been decided. Like I said: Democracy in action.

Elected Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: ColorFill 2.
Stories: Vegemite Contest Draws Protests (registration required). Thanks Neutronbeam.
Newspaper Celebrates - The Onion’s ‘Our Front Pages’. Thanks Digg.
Nicolas Cage Blames Advisor for Financial Ruin. Thanks Neatorama.
Science: Tests Find Wide Range of Bisphenol A in Canned Soups, Juice, and More. Thanks Acleacius.
Media: Katamari Damacy as a hard-boiled comic.
George Lucas restored version of Singin' In The Rain.
Festo AirPenguin. Thanks Stadius.
Follow-ups: Jon Krakauer- McChrystal's Explanation For Pat Tillman Cover-up Is "Preposterous". Thanks Acleacius.
'Shoe-Thrower' Footwear Top Seller In Bangladesh.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 5, 2009, 04:37  Xymph 

I probably missed a post about this, but I hope you're doing okay Blue.
Yes.

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 23:54 Prez

Gtatz to the Yankees! And to the Phillies for a good season and playing them tough.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 21:16 Sepharo

Whoa, this is the first I noticed that UGO is gone.

Logo is lookin a little lonely up there.

In a good way

I probably missed a post about this, but I hope you're doing okay Blue.

Gunna hafta start slangin some DLC.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 19:03 PHJF

Stay the hell away from Dragon Rising.

Oh, and GoGamer has Borderlands for $36.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2009, 19:04.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 18:59 xXBatmanXx

offtopic: 48 hour madness has Op Flash Dragon Rising for $25.00. Haven't heard anyone talk about it recently.....worth 25? Longevity and replayability as the first?

Also GTA Eps from Liberty City is only 32. Which leads me to believe we will see a dip below 30 soon! woohooo!! (haven't heard much about that after the first 24 hours either....input?)

Thanks.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2009, 19:00.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 18:47 Efflixi

Well now all three new ad units are up, so I'm curious if the lowest of the three is just too wide. There are skyscraper ads that are only 160 wide instead of 300, but I thought it would be good to have the ads be the same width, but now I'm worried it's too much, so I;m eager for feedback from anyone willing to provide it.

Well I run at 1920x1200 on a 24" monitor so the extra width doesn't bother me at all. Here's a screenshot of the layout for me (reduced in size to 960 width)
http://www.efflixi.net/images/ad01.png

If it stays like this, I won't mind it one bit.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 18:43 Kxmode

Stephen in my web experiences I've learned that each instance of Flash consumes a bunch of resources, which tend to get exponentially worse the more I add. Any chance you could perhaps limit the number down to no more than 3 per page? Perhaps 3 Flash ads and 3 graphic ads? Yeah?

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2009, 18:53.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 18:22 skyguy

I think the ads are perfect blue, normally I use adblock for everything except for sites that I really like and want to support. I've been a bluesnews reader for ages (this is not my original account), and would have turned off adblocking for your site years ago, but UGO was way too obnoxious with its ads. Now you've joined the distinguished ranks of the sites I disable adblock on, which number in the single digits.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 17:50  Blue 

Stone tablets on a cave wall?

Ouch! Good one.

I noticed the first ad since UGO was left behind. It's not intrusive at all.

Well now all three new ad units are up, so I'm curious if the lowest of the three is just too wide. There are skyscraper ads that are only 160 wide instead of 300, but I thought it would be good to have the ads be the same width, but now I'm worried it's too much, so I;m eager for feedback from anyone willing to provide it.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 17:43 Efflixi

I noticed the first ad since UGO was left behind. It's not intrusive at all.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 15:31 Mindstorm

we use the same old-fashioned voting booths I remember my parents using when I was a kid.

Stone tablets on a cave wall?

16. Re: Anyone watch the new V ? Nov 4, 2009, 15:29 Mindstorm

Yeah, and I have to say I was somewhat disappointed. The story felt very "rushed" and like most TV today, they pretty much hand held you through all the major drama and plot points as opposed to allowing your own mind to connect the dots (and there wasn't much drama to really speak of in the 1st episode). The have a good cast, but character development is very thin so far.

I'll still watch it and hope for the best.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2009, 15:30.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 14:13  Blue 

Stephen did you have to deal with butterfly ballets and hanging chads?

Nope, in New York we use the same old-fashioned voting booths I remember my parents using when I was a kid.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

14. Anyone watch the new V ? Nov 4, 2009, 12:51 Krovven

V was on last night, I PVR'd it, so haven't watch yet.

Anyone watch it? How was it?

Loved the original mini-series and series as a kid.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 12:23 Kxmode

Is winning an election in New Jersey really "winning" anything?

I thoroughly expected this kind of reaction. People are sending a message to Democrats, and by that extension Obama, Reid, and Pelosi that they're getting sick and tired of their shenanigans.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 12:22 PropheT

Nope, name, address, here's a ballot, have fun.

Here in Minnesota it's not currently law to require an ID to vote; not sure which state you live in, but I'm sure it's similar there. It's required to register, so as long as long as you're registered in that district already all you'll need to do is sign in and vote rather than ID yourself when you go in.

Of course, I live in a town small enough where they greet you by name when you walk in the door, so things tend to be a little easier going here...

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 11:54 Acleacius

Blue, most probably means it was being challenged, so some group good/bad paid some signature gathers to get enough to have a Referendum on the Ballot. It's much like what happened in Maine about the Gay Marriage Rights, which was passed as law but challenged before it was enacted, well this is just my guess, since I live in Texas.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 11:34 PHJF

I'm happy for the wins on NJ

Is winning an election in New Jersey really "winning" anything?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 11:23 TangledThorns

Last night was awesome. I'm happy for the wins on NJ and my state of VA.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 4, 2009, 10:53 Kxmode

Stephen did you have to deal with butterfly ballets and hanging chads?  

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo