Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Origins

BioWare announces Dragon Age: Origins is now available in North America, offering the RPG they are calling the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. The game is available for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3, and multiple bits of DLC are available for each platform. Here's a bit:

EDMONTON, Alberta--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Leading video game developer BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) announced today that the highly-anticipated game Dragon Age™: Origins is now available on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system and PC. Dragon Age: Origins introduces a dark and gritty approach to the fantasy genre where players must make ruthless decisions and be willing to sacrifice their friends and loved ones for the greater good of mankind. Several downloadable content packs are also now available, including Warden’s Keep, The Stone Prisoner and the Blood Dragon Armor.

“The launch of Dragon Age: Origins is the fantasy event of 2009,” said Dr. Ray Muzyka, co-founder of BioWare and Group General Manager of the RPG/MMO Group at EA. “I am extremely proud of the entire development team - and we’re all very excited to release one of our best games yet!”

BioWare has also launched a robust package of downloadable content (DLC) for Dragon Age: Origins. The Stone Prisoner gives players access to new environments, items, hours of additional gameplay and the mighty stone golem Shale who can become one of the most powerful party members in the game. The Warden’s Keep premium DLC provides players of Dragon Age: Origins with a new dungeon-exploring adventure, new loot including a set of ancient Grey Warden armor, a chance to gain two of six mysterious new abilities, a new base complete with merchants and a party chest to store their hard-earned items. In addition, BioWare has released the Blood Dragon Armor DLC, a set of themed armor that gives players additional protection in combat and will be available for use in both Dragon Age: Origins on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC and in Mass Effect™ 2 on the Xbox 360 and PC.

View
135 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

135. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 9, 2009, 23:55 Creston

Dragon Age isn't exactly the most visually demanding game on the market

True, in some areas it's pretty low, though other areas are VERY beautifully detailed. I was pleasantly surprised how well it ran on my laptop.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

134. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 9, 2009, 15:09 dryden555

i dont agree Yifes -- that eurogamer review was schizophrenic. It seemed to nitpick non-stop on minor stuff, barely mention the "pro's of the game," and then slap an 8 on there. The reviewer could have written a better last 2 paragraphs to clarify his opinion, but he didnt.

133. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 9, 2009, 10:04 Verno

Dragon Age isn't exactly the most visually demanding game on the market  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

132. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 8, 2009, 17:00 Creston

Don't buy laptops to game period. The most powerful laptop GPU isn't as fast as a Radeon 4850 last time I checked.

Dragon Age runs like a frigging charm on my Geforce 9600M laptop. Smooth as silky butter.

Creston

131. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 7, 2009, 04:40 Flo

Don't buy laptops to game period. The most powerful laptop GPU isn't as fast as a Radeon 4850 last time I checked.
Kids, I have been through all that gaming-rig-building when I was like 16. Now I have a job and need to stay mobile, so the least thing I can do to satisfy my gaming needs is get a laptop with decent mobile graphics.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

130. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 6, 2009, 11:39 Masa

Goddamn I'm loving this game. This is the first time since the first time I played Baldur's Gate that I feel like I'm playing...well, Baldur's Gate  

129. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 5, 2009, 22:29 loomy

this is a computer game in a console era. it was delayed to port it and TRY to make some money.

flawed idea from the start though. you can't take out the 1990s with just friendly fire and camera tweaks.

this is the last time you'll see a game like this from a big company. for a very long time, if ever. the economies of selling games are totally different now. read a financial press release. limited content and DLC is a business model and patches have set budget and time window. frequent releases is the name of the game.

128. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 5, 2009, 16:46 Flatline

Try playing as a Mage. TOTALLY different experience having a heal spell straight from the beginning of the game.  

127. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 5, 2009, 11:15 Mingus

Wait until you get your ass handed to you in real combat.

Yeah. Been there and done that

I must say that even 'normal' difficulty, the combat is, shall we say, a bit challenging.

It's still early in the game for me (between work and the world series, have not had much game time), but I would imagine boss fights are going to be murder.

All in all, a rather enjoyable experience so far.

126. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 4, 2009, 16:02 Flatline

Loving the game here as well... pretty much everything I hoped for. The graphics look a bit drab in some areas, like the wilds, but that is my only complaint.

It's the Aurora engine. I can tell from some of the visual effects and how they're portrayed. I started the game and thought for a moment I was playing The Witcher. Then I looked at the actual effects close up and realized it was just the same engine.

The down side is that it looks a bit drab, the up side is that it should be incredibly robust to modify.

125. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 4, 2009, 16:00 Flatline

That said, loving it. I'm on some quest to root out spiders out of a cave (yes, I know, cliche, but oh well), and these things are fucking DANGEROUS! One poisonous spider nearly fucking raped me, so I thought I'd run away. Yeah, he had other ideas, webbed me in place, then ganked me. Combat is just brutal in this game. Which is awesome.

Wait until you get your ass handed to you in real combat.

Mages are interesting. I may have to re-roll (And to the person who said they hate "rolling a character" I play tabletop RPGs still, so I'm entitled) a mage to try it out. They seem to have a very steady damage output with periods of very brutal spikes of damage.

124. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 4, 2009, 15:32 StingingVelvet

Loving the game here as well... pretty much everything I hoped for. The graphics look a bit drab in some areas, like the wilds, but that is my only complaint.

Yay.

123. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 4, 2009, 15:15 Creston

The human noble warrior origin has all of that stuff. Larder, great hall, rugs etc.

Okay, that's fair enough, I spent just a few minutes in the human noble startup, so I didn't see much.

Loving the game. Love the backstabbing intrigue that's going on in the mage tower. I'm still IN the mage tower. The game hasn't even started yet!

Creston

122. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 4, 2009, 14:24 Verno

The one thing I will agree on is that it seems a bit... lifeless, so far. The mage tower is wonderfully designed, but come on, if an entire group of people lives in that tower, never leaves, there'd be more than just beds and fucking bookshelves! How about an area where they can sit and relax? How about, I dunno, a place where they gather for an evening meal? Maybe a few rugs on the floor, and some paintings on the walls? Anyone who had to live in that empty gray husk for more than a week would go mad.

The human noble warrior origin has all of that stuff. Larder, great hall, rugs etc. The mages are intentionally obstinate and spend a lot of time "in the Fade" so it makes sense for their area is how its explained in the codex anyways. The human warrior origin is very well done, I watched my buddy go through it last night.

121. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 4, 2009, 14:17 Creston

Got everything installed and such now. I have to say that I am fucking LOVING this game. I'm still just in the mage tower, having a blast running around, talking to people, looting everything, reading a billion very well written codex entries.

Got a quest to either help a buddy escape the tower or to turn him in, which posed a very interesting dilemma. Following up on helping him requires you to get a particular item, which you can get in a fair few ways, so it's not just "A to B to C" like some people have said, or at least it doesn't look like that to me.

The one thing I will agree on is that it seems a bit... lifeless, so far. The mage tower is wonderfully designed, but come on, if an entire group of people lives in that tower, never leaves, there'd be more than just beds and fucking bookshelves! How about an area where they can sit and relax? How about, I dunno, a place where they gather for an evening meal? Maybe a few rugs on the floor, and some paintings on the walls? Anyone who had to live in that empty gray husk for more than a week would go mad.

That said, loving it. I'm on some quest to root out spiders out of a cave (yes, I know, cliche, but oh well), and these things are fucking DANGEROUS! One poisonous spider nearly fucking raped me, so I thought I'd run away. Yeah, he had other ideas, webbed me in place, then ganked me. Combat is just brutal in this game. Which is awesome.

So far the scope of everything just seems massive. Voice acting is also a LOT better in the mage tower than in the human noble start, and is pretty awesome. It runs like sweet cherry pie on my quad core/8800 GT/4GIG system.

Great game, the irritating bullshit of registering and activating your paid for content notwithstanding...

Creston

120. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 4, 2009, 12:51 KezClone

RE: PC vs. PS3

Well that clears that up. Big thanks to everyone that offered advice!

Looks like I'll have to get a more comfortable chair.

119. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 4, 2009, 12:48 Verno

New items are color coded and bordered anyways so finding what you stole shouldn't be difficult.  

118. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 4, 2009, 12:36 Ecthelion

Also, is there any way to tell what you're stealing when you pickpocket? The game just says "Stealing Success!" and then you have to search your inventory for new items.
Wasn't BG the same way?

I preordered and preloaded the game on Steam, but I haven't started playing it yet. Last night when I got home I was able to redeem all my codes, but it sucks that some people had trouble doing that. I did have trouble actually registering the game, but I tried again later in the night and it worked fine. All the DLC is now downloaded and installed, although I guess I need to actually play the game to find out.

I have too many games to play at the moment, but I'm looking forward to playing DA:O when I finish these other ones.

117. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 4, 2009, 12:28 Jerykk

The game engine is clunky though and the game is also very consolized, with arrows of "Go here!" over characters heads etc.

That's not a sign of consolization. That's a sign of WoWinization. Luckily you can turn those aids off.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how challenging the game is. Much like in BG, you can't just rush into battles without a plan unless you want to get your ass kicked. It's not nearly as unforgiving as BG since you regenerate health after combat and you don't have to take a nap after casting a spell though.

Also, is there any way to tell what you're stealing when you pickpocket? The game just says "Stealing Success!" and then you have to search your inventory for new items.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2009, 12:32.

116. Re: Dragon Age Ships Nov 4, 2009, 12:13 Verno

Why?  

135 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo