Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

L4D Dead Before Dawn Mod

Left 4 Dead Mods announces the release of the Dead Before Dawn modification for Left 4 Dead that brings gameplay inspired by the Crossroads Mall in Dawn of the Dead to Valve's Zombie shooter. They offer the mod by bit torrent and have a download mirror listed, but it may be difficult to get through to the site at the moment. Thanks fearless.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: L4D Dead Before Dawn Mod Nov 2, 2009, 10:34 spindoctor

If you think this is polished then I pity you. The amount of glitches/bugs and poor game design decisions it has is insane.

You obviously haven't tried really good content if this one is your benchmark. Give Death Aboard a shot (a campaign that managed custom music with a .vpk by the way). Then try Dam It. Also, Heaven Can Wait, a 2+ hour campaign that was released very early in the life of L4D modding and is simply spectacular. Also heard great things about Suicide Blitz, although I haven't tried it myself.

You know what? At this point, if any custom campaign can load all 5 maps it has without crashing the game, it's better than Dead Before Dawn.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2009, 10:36.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: L4D Dead Before Dawn Mod Nov 2, 2009, 07:18 necrosis

To the end user, rebuilding a sound cache, then crashing your game and having to kill the process from the task manager just to install it is hardly a user friendly method to install a campaign. Doesn't really matter who's fault it is.
Did you read the massive amount of posts pertaining to how bad the VPK system is? If they COULD VPK the file yes you don't have to rebuild the sound cache but you CAN NOT include custom music and a mess of other things in VPK's yet. I blame Valve and only Valve for this problem.

Funny considering the only thing I had to do was rebuild sound the campaign ran perfectly for me.

And rebuilding sound cache never crashed my computer. When the loading bar is full just bring up the console again and type quit.

As for 'better content out there' this is the most polished campaign outside Valve I have seen yet.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2009, 07:22.

9. Re: L4D Dead Before Dawn Mod Nov 2, 2009, 00:56 spindoctor

Sorry. Just pissed at the amount of people who are to damned lazy to just dump a single folder into the addons folder for l4d and rebuild their sound cache.

To the end user, rebuilding a sound cache, then crashing your game and having to kill the process from the task manager just to install it is hardly a user friendly method to install a campaign. Doesn't really matter who's fault it is.

And especially when you have to jump through hoops for a campaign that is completely broken. Even getting all 5 maps to load for a game seems like a crapshoot. The campaign is absolutely plagued with bugs... scripting bugs, map glitches, clipping errors, server instability, client crashes, poor pathfinding (in fact, the AI is totally borked in this one). It's really not worth the trouble to play this in the current state.

There is much, much better custom content for the game out there already.

l4dmods.com keeps going up and down right now, so I'll copy the known mirrors here in case someone needs them.

http://www.fileplay.net/file/6632/dead-before-dawn

http://left4dead2.filefront.com/file/Dead_Before_Dawn;106063

http://www.gen-yujo.com/DeadBeforeDawn.zip

(File Hashes for Dead Before Dawn)
MD5 Hash : E517B9C0C4E19A36CF7F98D410C9B685
SHA1 Hash : 431ADFF2E1B34728167F3D9B269F1B06EECA6B64
CRC-32 Hash : 46D05F21

I also noticed that they're now calling this release the 'first beta' of the campaign . To my knowledge, this was never mentioned even once prior to the release.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2009, 00:57.

8. Re: L4D Dead Before Dawn Mod Nov 1, 2009, 22:55 necrosis

For those bitching about no VPK don't hold your breath.

They have stated on their site (as well as many other big campaign makers for L4D) that the VPK package is flawed, broken, and a total piece of shit. Valve has yet to do anything about it.

So basically do not plan on DBD coming out in VPK format.

Link to the 'I Hate Mountains' crew (Same one who made Portal Prelude) ranting about how broken VPK is. http://www.ihatemountains.com/2009/10/could-someone-fix-left-4-dead.php

Sorry. Just pissed at the amount of people who are to damned lazy to just dump a single folder into the addons folder for l4d and rebuild their sound cache.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2009, 23:05.

7. Re: L4D Dead Before Dawn Mod Nov 1, 2009, 20:38 Vulkan

Great campaign, I hope the team behind this works out all the bugs and finishes the finale map sometime soon.

Something I've been wondering: Does anyone know if all these custom campaigns will work on Left 4 Dead 2?

6. Re: L4D Dead Before Dawn Mod Nov 1, 2009, 20:15 Sacrifice

Do they plan to release a VPK? I hope so, it will make it easier for people to install and hopefully more people will play it.  

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

5. Re: L4D Dead Before Dawn Mod Nov 1, 2009, 16:06 StingingVelvet

I'll wait for a vpk with less bugs.  

4. Re: L4D Dead Before Dawn Mod Nov 1, 2009, 15:52 Sacrifice

Played the first two maps this morning. I did encounter a few minor bugs, but the first two maps were quite playable and well done.  

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

3. Re: L4D Dead Before Dawn Mod Nov 1, 2009, 15:13 Prez

Link is dead 4 me.

Thanks for the torrent

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: L4D Dead Before Dawn Mod Nov 1, 2009, 14:07 Joss

Wow, didn't think I'd see the day that the Crossroads Mall campaign would be released.

Buggy hugh? I'll check it out.

1. Re: L4D Dead Before Dawn Mod Nov 1, 2009, 13:14 spindoctor

Be warned... the campaign is extremely buggy right now.

If someone still wishes to get it, the torrent link is
http://www.mininova.org/tor/3106067

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2009, 13:14.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo