Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 2, 2009, 19:03 xXBatmanXx

Edit: Something else I thought of, the first 3 NPC's at the beginning of the gmae are well done and have character. After that they seems to be rather generic, just stand there (leaning against a wall) with nothing to define them as an actual character, other than a different name and quests they give.

I also noticed that they don't speak AT ALL - and they are ALL THE SAME EXACT CHARACTER!!!! ugh.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 2, 2009, 16:08 Krovven

Friends had been able to connect to my games without issue since release, yet last night nobody could connect and I couldnt connect to anyone else. So not sure if Gamespy was having issues.

It just seems that Gearbox, whenever faced with a design decision took the easy way out in almost every case.

You can't msg friends on your list to see if they want to coop, so that means using another program (ie: Steam) to communicate and hook up with people. Which if they are using the retail and arent using a 3rd party shotcut through Steam they may not see the msgs if they are in-game anyways.

You can't "Join game in progress" (on Friends list) that prompts the host to accept the join.

Free-for-all looting and lack of proper trading is another example.

Host controls the quests, so as has been repeatedly complained about, if the host is too far ahead the other people can be screwed on their quest progress. We were able to do the Mine Key quest for someone simply because we already knew where to go, and luckily he was still able to loot the key, even though we werent officially doing that quest.

The loot messages only last a few seconds and from what I can tell you can't view the stats on that loot item anywhere. Furthermore, unless I'm missing something, to duel someone, they have to melee you back to accept...so at no time are they obligated to accept the challenge for the loot...and who's to say they'd give it to you anyways, as they doesnt seem to be a system to force trade it.

No achievement system for PC users. It would have been very easy for them to just track them in-game for your own personal reference. But alas, they took the easy way out and just didn't include them at all.

I could make a laundry list of menu screens that have broken mouse-wheel functionality, where Pgup/pgdown works on some screens but not others, no mouse cursor on the Friends screen, etc, etc.

I see they finally put up a manual on Steam, a) covers are placeholder text. b) It's the fucking 360 manual!

Their claims that special attention was made to the PC version and that it was their lead platform, is absolute and complete bullshit lies.

Edit: Something else I thought of, the first 3 NPC's at the beginning of the gmae are well done and have character. After that they seems to be rather generic, just stand there (leaning against a wall) with nothing to define them as an actual character, other than a different name and quests they give.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2009, 16:26.

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 2, 2009, 12:40 Wowbagger_TIP

I've got to agree with the complaints about Borderlands. I'm only about halfway through I think, but it seems like a game with the potential to be great if they'd just spent the time to fix the infuriatingly bad interface. Why do some windows let you mouse-scroll (sort of, it only works when you're at the top or bottom row of items), while others make you use pgup/pgdn or arrow keys? WTF? Pretty much everything about the inventory and buy/sell screens is convoluted, consolized crap.

I hate the vehicle handling too. Why not just use the a and d keys for turning like any other game and let us look around with the mouse, like any other game? It's not like there isn't a pretty good consensus on the basics of vehicle handling for the PC. If you're going to do it differently, you'd better have a good reason and it had better work at least as well. They apparently have neither.

Ok, now that I got all that out, I do still like the game. So far it's been pretty fun. Playing as hunter right now and it's pretty cool. Easy to get overrun by skags, especially the big ones, if you don't have some pretty serious weapons though. Kind of wish the hunter had a few other tricks to protect himself before he starts shooting. Like prox or remote mines or something. You know that they're going to swarm you once you take the first shot, often from multiple directions. A little preparation would seem to be in order. Still, sniping is fun, and even the other weapons like SMGs and pistols are cool for that close-in work.

Anyone know if the game is moddable?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 2, 2009, 10:36 Verno

What... the fuck... is this about? Your feelings hurt over the suggestion, or the PC implication?

Batman is prone to this sort of behavior but in his defense MrBone is attacking him with history from a previous thread there which is pointless. It's not a helpful suggestion, if you click on MrBone's post history you'll see a large number of examples like it.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

25. Just to be different Nov 2, 2009, 10:28 Quboid

Go FM2010! I'm playing it right now on my secondary monitor, I love my Sim-Spreadsheet. Seriously, anyone who says EVE is Excel: The Game needs to look at some screenshots of Football Manager.

Edit: just came from 1 down to beat Swansea 2 - 3. Go Owls! Still 22nd, in the relegation zone and I have 6-pointer coming up away at Deepdale versus Preston North End who are underachieving in 21st just above me. Route one methinks.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2009, 10:30.

- Quboid

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 2, 2009, 10:16 Alamar

I highly recommend both Borderlands and Torchlight... I didn't think that highly of Borderlands initially, but playing with the wife has been a LOT of fun... Especially later into the game, when I found an uber weapon... Then spent like all my extra cash on an upgrade at lvl 25...

I fell in love with 2 shot revolvers with nice scopes and elemental effects... Basically replaced my sniper (does more and zooms just as far). 2 Shots really hurts at times, but you gotta know where to use em, which is one of the best parts of the game for me... Finding the sweet spot (head, obviously, on bandits, but open mouths for Skags, the tail of spiderants, etc... good times indeed).

As for Torchlight, enchanting is so the way to go... Pick up a nice purple (vendor or looted), and enchant it like 10 times... uber item... Totally agree on the comment about uniques being worthless, and even the rarer items (yellow)... They cost like 10x the price to enchant.

Run back over to Stomped or Shack where the trolls live - I am sure you came from one of those sites.

What... the fuck... is this about? Your feelings hurt over the suggestion, or the PC implication?

-Alamar

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 2, 2009, 07:48 xXBatmanXx

Bats, if I were you, I would grab Torchlight. Your computer should be able to run this game at full settings. Have fun.

Run back over to Stomped or Shack where the trolls live - I am sure you came from one of those sites.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 2, 2009, 07:29 Numinar

Fair enough Ice, bad argument ala the Live sucks because of the people who play on it argument.

Back in the day I was desperate enough to search for punters on B.net and I still suffer the emotional scars. There is still a very strong association with experimenting with D+D2 online and the fuckedness that came with it.

No multi saves them a ton though, they can play loose and lazy with the balance and loot. The game seems to have a lot less of the excessive blandness of it's peers.

Now someone just needs to mod it to the point where it is a graphical real time version of POWDER and I'll be set.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 2, 2009, 05:30 .Drifter

Get stuck on everything? Check. Ridiculous handling? Check. Useless turret? Check.

I've only really gotten stuck once so far, and that was on a small pointy rock I hit at top speed. Couldn't get off, so I just walked back and spawned another car.
Handling, never had any trouble with. Car seems to turn a bit weird, but that's it.
Turret has been somewhat useful to me, but only with the rocket launcher attached. Machine gun turret is so inaccurate it's worthless, but launcher at least has a decent hit rate. Now the front mounted machine gun, that really is worthless. I have yet to kill anything with it.
Heck, truth be told, it's easier to just hit stuff and kill it with a car. Someone standing beside you, shooting? Barely move and touch him, he explodes like a blood filled water balloon.
Now that, to me, is ridiculous. Tap the gas while touching someone, they explode.

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 2, 2009, 04:41 peteham

We ALREADY spend 5+ minutes sorting through the guns that drop during large encounters.
My thinking as well. Though at least 2.5 of those 5+ minutes can be blamed on the absurdly bad interface that is apparently cut&pasted from the console-version with a cursor on top.

Although I will say right now that I hate the way the cars drive. They drive like the warthogs in Halo, which also are designed to Piss You Right The Fuck Off. You can't look around the vehicle without turning that direction, so we have to rely on callouts from one of the people in the turrets. Before figuring this out, we were running the cars into rock walls (and each other) all the time while just trying to get our bearings.
I have no issues with the directional steering really. It's more a matter of the driving physics and general car handling being an absolute joke. Get stuck on everything? Check. Ridiculous handling? Check. Useless turret? Check. Get stuck on everything - again? Check. In the end, we only used cars to get from point A to point B quickly, while the gunner went to sleep. Not that impressive for a game that touts "fun & exciting vehicle battles!". Halo's vehicles are 100x better than the crap cars in Borderlands.

In total, I'm fairly disappointed with the game. Got playthrough 1 down now, and I'm not sure if I'll be up for playthrough 2 as I was completely bored towards the end. The game doesn't really change as you go along, and the sense of progression is completely missing. Same-looking areas, same enemies with more hp, bigger guns to compensate for more hp = constant amount of time-to-kill.. Same fighting strategy the entire way through, enemy AI being what it is (or isn't). For me, it got old pretty fast, though some of the more hectic missions were fun. I feel I got a lot more out of L4D as that at least was more about playing well than just burning down mobs MMO-style.

YMMV I suppose. Most people seem to like the game a lot more than I do, including the people who now want me to join in for playthrough number two On thing I won't complain about is the technical aspects of the game, though. It looks and runs great even of my low/middle-end rig. Not one hitch during this weekend's play-sessions.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 2, 2009, 04:08 Jason

Rounding to the nearest hundred? But yeah, these ties seem a little suspect.

I would guess rounded out to at least 500 units, or even more.

My app on the appstore continually swaps places with other apps that have similar sales rates in the top grossing and top paid lists. I wouldn't personally go out on a limb and say other company x's product was selling more than third company y's product unless there was enough gap for that to remain true for a day or two.

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 2, 2009, 03:53 Icewind

Multi would just bring on the griefers, hackers and dupers that would join my game. They can stay in D2 for as long as they like IMHO. (or in their own, isolated copy of Torchlight.)

Yeah, after all, no one playing Torchlight has friends that also like Action RPGs. If we did play Torchlight with other people, it would have to be with random strangers in public games.

Imbecile.

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 1, 2009, 23:40 MrBone

Bats, if I were you, I would grab Torchlight. Your computer should be able to run this game at full settings. Have fun.  

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 1, 2009, 21:43 ColoradoHoudini

Yeah, to be honest, without multiplayer, I expect it won't have much long-term appeal, at least for me. Especially considering how easy it is to get unique/set items - and how poor they fair compared to mass-enchanting. But even if I only play it for 2 weeks, I've got my moneys worth from it.

I am going to have to figure out more of that stuff, when I enchant stuff, I just get an extra socket or whatever.. I've had the most luck buying random unknowns from the guy.. getting set items then.. do you enchant those?

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 1, 2009, 20:46 Numinar

Torchlight is a steal, especially for people that steam uses the correct exchange rate for. It's one fifth the price of a new release in Australia at $22 AUD. Sweet. It's probably missing the gore effects though, I read there was blood in a review but I see nothing.

Multi would just bring on the griefers, hackers and dupers that would join my game. They can stay in D2 for as long as they like IMHO. (or in their own, isolated copy of Torchlight.)

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 1, 2009, 20:34 HoSpanky

I went in on the 4-pack for Borderlands, and it's a blast. The RPG elements aren't as strong as more traditional titles, but the lack of armor customization is pretty much there to keep things moving along faster. We ALREADY spend 5+ minutes sorting through the guns that drop during large encounters. If they had a full armor set like most games, we'd forget how to fight by the time we got done fiddling with it all.

Although I will say right now that I hate the way the cars drive. They drive like the warthogs in Halo, which also are designed to Piss You Right The Fuck Off. You can't look around the vehicle without turning that direction, so we have to rely on callouts from one of the people in the turrets. Before figuring this out, we were running the cars into rock walls (and each other) all the time while just trying to get our bearings.

The absurdly overhyped art style is neat at first but you'll forget all about it after a couple hours.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 1, 2009, 19:03 Bhruic

Still waiting to hear everyone's opinion about Torchlight in 2 weeks

Yeah, to be honest, without multiplayer, I expect it won't have much long-term appeal, at least for me. Especially considering how easy it is to get unique/set items - and how poor they fair compared to mass-enchanting. But even if I only play it for 2 weeks, I've got my moneys worth from it.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 1, 2009, 16:53 Krovven

Im still playin it Bats. Still going through the storyline doing all the side quests as I get them. Can buy maps for random dungeons. One side quest line takes you to a random dungeon for each quest he gives. Lots of variation in the skill trees, although not as deep as say Titan Quest skill trees which really were just convoluted. This is just one character. I'll be playing all 3.

Been splitting my time between this and Borderlands (getting more into it).

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2009, 16:55.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 1, 2009, 16:20 Talisorn

The only thing missing from Torchlight is multiplayer ... otherwise it's a top notch game!  

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 1, 2009, 16:00 xXBatmanXx

Still waiting to hear everyone's opinion about Torchlight in 2 weeks....then I will hit it up if yall are still raving about it.  

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo