Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Leaked MW2 Video Confirmed

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will include the scenario seen in yesterday's leaked video of the player participating in the slaughter of civilians in the military shooter sequel, Infinity Ward confirms for VG247, though they stress that the scene can be skipped by those who will find this troubling. They say: "The scene establishes the depth of evil and the cold bloodedness of a rogue Russian villain and his unit. By establishing that evil, it adds to the urgency of the player’s mission to stop them." As for skipping it, word is: "Players have the option of skipping over the scene. At the beginning of the game, there are two ‘checkpoints’ where the player is advised that some people may find an upcoming segment disturbing. These checkpoints can’t be disabled."

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

80. Re: MW2 Video Confirmed Nov 2, 2009, 14:40 abbieonline

good stuff.. I'm really looking forward to this one.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

79. Re: MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 30, 2009, 13:17 Verno

Paying any attention to forums and gaming media will show that this game is going to sell as much as the original without breaking a sweat.

Which ones? I'm seeing mostly negative buzz on Arstechnica, SA, PA, GF and so on. In fact the only place I could find more positive than negative was some Giantbomb comments. Besides, the whole point of this exercise is IW saying the hardcore don't matter, so why would forums be indicative of anything?

Controversy has never been bad for game sales, I'm surprised you'd even contest this but then again you seem to be on a rash out of behavior stunts lately, like going off on Prez for nothing. What's with you?

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

78. Re: MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 30, 2009, 12:23 Kevlar

I don't think they need a press stunt to get people worked up over this game, as already said. Paying any attention to forums and gaming media will show that this game is going to sell as much as the original without breaking a sweat.

I think it is more likely they were searching for a moment to compare with the nuke moment in the original and decided to finally give in and allow the player to play as the "bad guys," something people have wanted since the original Call of Duty.

Personally I thought the Russians in WaW were pretty bad already.

Pardon the brevity, but this comment says it all. Still not sold that it's not a PR stunt, but a very good series of points on why they might have artistically meant the decision.

77. Re: Leaked MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 30, 2009, 07:34 Prez

That's not me saying you are stupid or anything of the kind, you just made a stupid argument. I have done it, everyone does it, it's ok.

While I agree that the occasional stupid statement is possible from everyone - I have had my own, in this thread the only thing stupid is how you have focused on this to the detriment of anything else. I stand by exactly what I said, and would say it again.

You spend time talking at length about games. That means they are important to you, as it is to others here. The "stupid" part you keep claiming I said but neither said nor implied is what you injected on your own while you were busy letting your emotions get the best of you. Just like for some unknown reason you obviously think this is important as evidenced by your incessant irrational harping on it.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

76. Re: Leaked MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 30, 2009, 00:10 StingingVelvet

Not much point in clarifying something when it was so obviously misrepresented. Why should I be bothered to try to clarify something that would need no clarification were you not on your self-righteous little crusade? If you were in too much of a hurry to throw your little tantrum to actually take the time to read and understand another's point, I hardly see any obligation on my part to spell it out any further for you when it too would fail to suffice.

You compared taking the game actions seriously to taking gaming as a whole seriously, it's pretty clear cut. Your continued refusal to clarify just shows you can't really, because that was your intended point, and it was a stupid one.

That's not me saying you are stupid or anything of the kind, you just made a stupid arguement. I have done it, everyone does it, it's ok.

75. Re: MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 30, 2009, 00:09 StingingVelvet

I think there's a difference between being indifferent and desiring censorship, one that you're failing to recognize. I am indifferent to the idea of this in the context of a larger moral issue because I view it more as a press stunt than any actual attempt at artistic expression. I suspect many others feel the same way and that's why they don't care as opposed to getting all worked up over something obviously intended to incite in the first place.

I don't think they need a press stunt to get people worked up over this game, as already said. Paying any attention to forums and gaming media will show that this game is going to sell as much as the original without breaking a sweat.

I think it is more likely they were searching for a moment to compare with the nuke moment in the original and decided to finally give in and allow the player to play as the "bad guys," something people have wanted since the original Call of Duty.

Personally I thought the Russians in WaW were pretty bad already.

74. Re: MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 29, 2009, 18:18 xXBatmanXx

In other news - the PC version is the same 60.00 price tag as the console! RAPEAGE!!!!!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

73. Re: MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 29, 2009, 16:07 Verno

In any event, it seems this thread was only being carried by 2 or 3 people who thought it was objectionable, and that's a rather small percentage. The majority of people by far seem to have no real problem with it, so I hope that means IW feels no pressure to censor themselves.

I think there's a difference between being indifferent and desiring censorship, one that you're failing to recognize. I am indifferent to the idea of this in the context of a larger moral issue because I view it more as a press stunt than any actual attempt at artistic expression. I suspect many others feel the same way and that's why they don't care as opposed to getting all worked up over something obviously intended to incite in the first place.

72. Re: Leaked MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 29, 2009, 15:49 Prez

I find it amusing you choose to go on immature rants about what a discussion is rather than clarify your original point, if I got it so wrong.

Not much point in clarifying something when it was so obviously misrepresented. Why should I be bothered to try to clarify something that would need no clarification were you not on your self-righteous little crusade? If you were in too much of a hurry to throw your little tantrum to actually take the time to read and understand another's point, I hardly see any obligation on my part to spell it out any further for you when it too would fail to suffice.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2009, 15:51.

71. Re: Leaked MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 29, 2009, 14:35 StingingVelvet

Whatever. Never mind that once again, what you erroneously claim that I said has nothing to do with what I actually said. Congrats on welcoming intelligent conversation; it's a shame that you are being too dense to engage in one. You come in here hootin' and hollerin' like a self-righteous whiner about your rights to do whatever, like it's all about you. Newsflash: not everyone feels the same about everything that you do. Last I heard, that's not a crime. This is why DISCUSSION forums exist.

I find it amusing you choose to go on immature rants about what a discussion is rather than clarify your original point, if I got it so wrong. Go read what you wrote, it is exactly as I have described it.

In any event, it seems this thread was only being carried by 2 or 3 people who thought it was objectionable, and that's a rather small percentage. The majority of people by far seem to have no real problem with it, so I hope that means IW feels no pressure to censor themselves.

70. Re: MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 29, 2009, 13:11 Verno

Sounds like controversy just for the sake of controversy, yet another reason I'll be skipping MW2.  

69. Re: Leaked MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 29, 2009, 10:34 Rigs

Oh FFS! You must be kidding me! I had this open yesterday because I was going to comment on it, but then I got called away and promptly forgot about it. Imagine my surprise when I reload the page to see nearly 70 freakin' posts! I read about 5 of the newest ones and got the jist of the whole freakin' argument. Maybe we can all agree on one thing and put it aside for a while, eh?

WE ALL AGREE THAT WE DON'T AGREE!

Problem solved, close the freakin' window and go back to playin' games like your suppose to...

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

68. Re: Leaked MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 29, 2009, 09:13 Prez

It obviously bothers some people here, and you're certainly entitled to your opinion that it's a bad idea for them to include this in the game. Maybe they'll rethink it if there's a big enough outcry. I won't be joining that outcry, and I doubt that it will be all that large, but we often see significant movement based only on a vocal minority too, so anything is possible. I think it's up to the market to decide, and if they go forward, we'll see if those missions are enough to prevent a noticeable number of people from buying the game.

Thanks for the intelligent response, something that's a bit of a commodity even on the best of days on the net.

My vision of the gaming industry has always been one of complete freedom that knows how to responsibly police itself and rely on its own good judgment when determining what is suitable content for an interactive simulation. Because of the variance of thresholds of tolerance in different people (what is over the line for you or me may not be a problem at all for someone else), the only method of this "self-governance" that will work is through dialog. What worries me is not that a developer is going to include this type of content in its game, but that the only acceptable response to it as considered by the gaming faithful is apathy or ra-ra "fanboyism." In my view, if gaming is a mature enough medium for the inclusion of this type of material to even be considered, then it is also relevant enough and significant enough for it to be discussed in realms between the 2 diamterically opposed extremes of "It's only a game! Anything and everything is okay!" and "Censor them!"

67. Re: Leaked MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 29, 2009, 08:26 Prez

Dude, you're the one with the stupid comment. I'm not trying to be petty, I welcome intelligent debate on this, but your response to the idea that worrying about the deaths of polygons is taking the game too seriously was to mention how often we post on a game forum as evidence we already take the game seriously.

Whatever. Never mind that once again, what you erroneously claim that I said has nothing to do with what I actually said. Congrats on welcoming intelligent conversation; it's a shame that you are being too dense to engage in one. You come in here hootin' and hollerin' like a self-righteous whiner about your rights to do whatever, like it's all about you. Newsflash: not everyone feels the same about everything that you do. Last I heard, that's not a crime. This is why DISCUSSION forums exist.
This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2009, 08:49.

66. Re: Leaked MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 29, 2009, 06:04 CommunistHamster

A lot of stupid people in this thread. It's a game, it can do what it likes. Blood Diamond featured massacre scenes, why can't games too?  

65. Re: MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 29, 2009, 02:06 Jerykk

That has nothing to do with it. It's just a useless addition to a game that's just going to bring MORE congressional whining down on an already beleaguered video game industry.

Let's be honest here, it's not like politicians base their accusations on facts or anything. If they did, GTA would be all about raping and murdering prostitutes.

I don't see any issue with this segment of MW2. It provides an interesting perspective you don't usually see in games. It would be more meaningful if the game didn't have black & white morality and if there was a more compelling reason to kill civilians other than "Look at me, I'm an evil terrorist!" But this is a start.

That said, something like this would be far more effective in an RPG where there is no forced notion of right or wrong and you are sometimes asked to do questionable things for the greater good (in your opinion, of course). As an art form, games need to explore emotions beyond the very limited ones they do now. Guilt or remorse, for example, are things you don't often feel in games.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2009, 02:15.

64. Re: Leaked MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 29, 2009, 00:47 StingingVelvet

I expected a LOT better from you SV, considering the intelligent discussion I've seen you engage in here in the past. VERY disappointing...

Dude, you're the one with the stupid comment. I'm not trying to be petty, I welcome intelligent debate on this, but your response to the idea that worrying about the deaths of polygons is taking the game too seriously was to mention how often we post on a game forum as evidence we already take the game seriously.

Those are two entirely different ways to take something seriously, and neither relate at all to each other, and it was just a stupid comment. Sorry.

63. Re: Leaked MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 29, 2009, 00:30 PHJF

CoD MW's aim is realism

HAHA!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

62. Re: Leaked MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 28, 2009, 23:23 Wowbagger_TIP

My intention in cataloging why I find this extremely disturbing and ill-advised has nothing to do with whether or not I think IW should have the right to include content like this. I unequivocally think that they should. That's completely beside my point. While you are insisting that they can, I am simply questioning whether they should.

It obviously bothers some people here, and you're certainly entitled to your opinion that it's a bad idea for them to include this in the game. Maybe they'll rethink it if there's a big enough outcry. I won't be joining that outcry, and I doubt that it will be all that large, but we often see significant movement based only on a vocal minority too, so anything is possible. I think it's up to the market to decide, and if they go forward, we'll see if those missions are enough to prevent a noticeable number of people from buying the game.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

61. Re: MW2 Video Confirmed Oct 28, 2009, 23:05 Dr. D. Schreber

I'm in the - this is going too far group. GTA etc. are blatant fantasy, comedic games, Oblivion etc. All fantasy. CoD MW's aim is realism, not fantasy, modern warfare as the name states, and that is where our moral alert kicks in.

But, again, why is it okay to marginalize violence that in the real world would be reprehensible just because of fluffier context? Hacking someone up with a sword in Oblivion is nowhere near as violent as even the cleanest blade kills in reality. If it's not okay that Modern Warfare 2 forces you to think about the reality of an atrocity, how is it better that a fantasy setting downplays reality into something palatable by ignoring it? How is GTA better for treating everyday murder as trivial and inconsequential?

This is an insane double standard.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo