Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DirectX 11 for Vista Released

DirectX 11 is now available for Windows Vista users through a new Platform Update for Windows Vista available automatically through the Windows Update function. Buried in the patch notes is a low-key "Updates to DirectX to support hardware acceleration for 2D, 3D, and text-based scenarios," and that update is indeed the new version of DirectX. Thanks j.c.f

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: DirectX 11 for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 16:59 DG

I thought some games check for a specific version of DX and prompt you to install it if you dont have it. They can then load the particular DX regardless of what's never.

That's just a guess due to some games insisting on installing their unpopular version, regardless of how old they are, unless I've previously installed that game on that OS install.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: DirectX 11 for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 10:33 Ecthelion

FYI, using "m$" makes you sound like the 13 year old child you probably are.
Some people can't move on from the 90's (back when it was cool to use that), it seems. If we weren't all a bunch of dorky computer enthusiasts here, I would suspect the people who still use "M$" probably have barb-wire tatoos too.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2009, 10:33.

18. Re: DirectX 11 for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 10:30 Verno

How dare you people question m$ moral superiority, purity and vast humanity. m$ only seeks the best for mankind and scientologists too. Don't question things your tiny minds can't perceive.

FYI, using "m$" makes you sound like the 13 year old child you probably are.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

17. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 09:46 WaltC

The API is supposed to be backwards compatible with standing architecture, either by emulation or by direct operation. Meaning that if you have DX10 installed, anything written in DX9 to DX3 should work 'out of the box'. That was the point behind having the DX unified architecture in the first place.

If it's not doing that, there's something wrong. Very wrong, either in the drivers(video/audio/whatever) or the API itself. It really sounds like someone screwed the pooch on the API releases.

Correct--which is why my DX9 graphics card ran all of my DX9 games without a problem when I first upgraded to Vista running DX10.

But all of this talk about "DX9" mystifies me. I updated with this file this morning and saw nothing anywhere that mentions DX9. Rather, what this patch does is to bring Vista up to the level of Win7 in terms of the DX API--DX11. It also brings 2d hardware acceleration to Vista--which under DX10 Vista did not have. That's it as far as I can see.

Just for fun the other day I installed Legend's Wheel of Time, a game that shipped in 1999, into my DX10.1 Vista installation running on my 4850 Crossfires--and without any software modification the game ran wonderfully well for me--better I think than it originally ran when I bought it. Which proves your point pretty well...;) There's a lot of confusion on this issue.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

16. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 08:56 Ecthelion

Games should install whatever they need when you install the game.
In my experience, most of them do. I haven't had to install DX9 when I installed the W7 RC or when I installed the RTM version. In both cases, I installed a Dx9 game fairly early on, and that game installed the full DX9 install automatically. It could be a Steam thing though... I've noticed that most of my more recent Steam games install DX9 before running for the first time.

15. Re: DirectX 11 for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 08:49 Lorcin

you seem to be frogetting the fact that your not allowed anything but the very latest gear on your pc. You can't play Fear out of the box because you should know better and only use the most up to date version.

Don't you know anything - history is for british.

14. Re: DirectX 11 for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 08:25 Acleacius

How dare you people question m$ moral superiority, purity and vast humanity. m$ only seeks the best for mankind and scientologists too. Don't question things your tiny minds can't perceive.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

13. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 07:36 Bludd

Games should install whatever they need when you install the game.  

12. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 07:16 Dev

"text-based scenarios" ? Get ready to play ZORK! In full DX11 text based glory!

Bhruic:
Lots of things MS does don't make sense.

11. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 07:02 Bhruic

Compatible or not, Win 7 should have come with DirectX 9 support. There's absolutely no reason for it not to, and plenty of reasons for it. Not including it really makes no sense.

10. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 06:24 .Drifter

"DX9.0L" Emulation layer for inclusive processes for backwards compatibility.

Yeah it's compatible with the emulation layer. Just let me roll my eyes a few more times.

From what I remember, Vista didn't contain a full installation of Directx 9, just some elements for compatibility purposes (ie the DX9.0L emulation you mention). Because it was emulation, some games, FEAR for example, didn't work right. The solution was to install DX9.0c on Vista to get it to work.
If DX11 on Win7 is the same, that could account for the need to install 9.0c even though DX11 is backwards compatible through emulation. Or whatever.

9. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 05:52 zirik

sucks that i cant install this update because microsoft decided that anyone who uses vlite to customize vista will not have the benefit of dx11 or any other features available to sp1 and sp2 users. ah well.  

8. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 04:36 Mashiki Amiketo

"DX9.0L" Emulation layer for inclusive processes for backwards compatibility.

Yeah it's compatible with the emulation layer. Just let me roll my eyes a few more times.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 04:25 Mastaba

No, DX10 is a completely different API from DX9, ergo DX10 is not backwards compatible with DX9. I suggest you go read the introduction to DirectX 10 at Microsoft's MSDN Library  

6. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 03:07 Mashiki Amiketo

DX10 was a clean break from the past. Vista and Win7 have DX9 separately installed simultaneously to DX10/DX11. (DX11 is backwards compatible with DX10)

No you misunderstand. The API is supposed to be backwards compatible with standing architecture, either by emulation or by direct operation. Meaning that if you have DX10 installed, anything written in DX9 to DX3 should work 'out of the box'. That was the point behind having the DX unified architecture in the first place.

If it's not doing that, there's something wrong. Very wrong, either in the drivers(video/audio/whatever) or the API itself. It really sounds like someone screwed the pooch on the API releases.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2009, 03:08.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

5. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 01:37 necrosis

Realized that with Vista too.

"You need DirectX installed." "The fuck?!"

When I installed Win7 it was one of the first things I did. Install DirectX 9c and C++ Redist SP1 2005 and 2008 x86 and x64 versions.

4. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 01:21 elefunk

Wait what? Isn't the DirectX API supposed to be backwards compatible?
DX10 was a clean break from the past. Vista and Win7 have DX9 separately installed simultaneously to DX10/DX11. (DX11 is backwards compatible with DX10)

3. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 01:18 Sphinx

Had the same problem when I first installed Vista. Some game demo at the time (C&C3 I think) wouldn't install until I installed DX9c.  
-Sphinx

2. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 01:14 Mashiki Amiketo

Apparently when you have DirectX 11, you do NOT automatically have DirectX9c.

Wait what? Isn't the DirectX API supposed to be backwards compatible?

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

1. Re: DirectX for Vista Released Oct 28, 2009, 00:55 Creston

Apparently when you have DirectX 11, you do NOT automatically have DirectX9c.

That took me awhile to figure out, why DX9 games weren't running on my new W7 install. D'oh.

Creston

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo