Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Gamer UK: Dragon Age "RPG of the Decade"

Computer and Video Games spills some beans from a new review of Dragon Age: Origins in the new issue of PC Gamer UK Magazine, where they give BioWare's new RPG a 94% and call it the "RPG of the decade." The review concludes saying: "Roleplaying games now have a great deal to live up to." Also, there's a new "The Edge of the Map Tool Set" trailer showing off the user toolset from the game on GameTrailers, where they also have more clips: Animal Slaughter 360, Bridge Ambush 360, Dog And Bandits 360, and Creatures Of Dragon Age Featurette Part II.

View
92 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

92. Re: DA "RPG of the Decade" Nov 2, 2009, 15:48 The PC Warrior

I hear both the PC and console versions leaked onto the net already, I hope it doesn't impact their sales too much.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

91. Re: DA Nov 2, 2009, 14:39 abbieonline

Considering it's not out... I don't know about calling it the RPG of the "decade".  

90. Re: DA Nov 2, 2009, 09:04 Verno

Hah, now my name needs to be on there?

Your forum name genius, to verify you took the picture. Now are you going to post it or not? I am not fooled by you blowing half a page trying to explain away your ratio of store bought games by the way.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2009, 09:13.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

89. im self-righteous and better than you Nov 1, 2009, 10:40 space captain

waaaah waaaah pirates!! my vagina hurts!!!

Go forth, and kill!

88. Re: DA Nov 1, 2009, 01:53 Jerykk

If you posted a picture of your gaming collection with your name written on a piece of paper somewhere in it to prove you didn't collect one from images.google.com then I would never broach the topic again for the record.

Hah, now my name needs to be on there? And how exactly would you verify that it's actually my name? Want my birth records too? How about my social security number? And a DNA sample? Sorry but if a receipt isn't enough to persuade you, then I guess I won't persuade you. It's pretty clear you don't want to be persuaded.

Regardless, what do you care about justifying it to us on this forum?

It's not about justification, it's about supporting my argument. When I present a claim, I support it. I said I buy games and I supported that claim with a screenshot of one of my Amazon receipts. The fact that you say "justify" suggests some kind of moral judgment. I don't really care about your moral judgment and I obviously disagree with your moral values. If I were concerned about those things, I would just lie and say that I'm not a pirate. What I do care about are facts and logic and that's what this argument is all about.

If you asked me to do the same, I would either do it or not, I wouldn't spend a page talking about it.

What are you blathering about? You've written pages trying to defend your claims on this website. All you've done is talk.

The guy buying one game out of every 10 he pirates doesn't exactly bring a big impact to the industry's decision making process versus the guy who pays for most or all of the games he plays so that's the problem I have with your argument and post of a singular receipt.

Two problems with your argument:

1) The number of games pirated is completely and utterly irrelevant to the industry. Sales are all that matter. If a game sells 10 million units, it doesn't matter if it was pirated 10 million times. Console games get pirated all the time. Hell, they almost always get leaked long before the retail release. Does anyone care? Nope. Conversely, if piracy were to completely disappear, would PC suddenly become the lead SKU for most devs? Nope. That wouldn't happen because console games would still outsell PC games and that's all that matters.

2) The guy who pirates games typically plays more games than the person who doesn't. For example, a guy who only buys games might buy 10 a year. A guy who pirates games might buy 10 a year too. Or he might buy more. It all depends on how many games he played are actually worth buying. The vast majority of games suck, as do the vast majority of movies, television shows, comics, books, music, etc. If a guy plays 20 games a year and 10 of them suck while the other 10 are worth buying, he buys 10 games. The key difference between the two guys is that one guy buys games based on hype, while the other buys games because he likes them.

Your argument ultimately boils down to semantics. So playing a demo for an hour and deciding the game sucks is fine, but playing the exact same content in the full game for an hour and deciding it sucks is unacceptable? How about borrowing a game from a friend and playing it for an hour before deciding it sucks? Is that "justified"? Is legality the only thing you care about or are you able look beyond that? If you are, you'd see that piracy is just one of many ways to try a game. What happens after that is up to you. This isn't moral justification, it is fact.

I can say that nearly every time I've had a complaint with a company, my concerns as a paying customer are always heard because I make sure that they know who and what I am, not just some random dude on the Internet saying something where talk is very cheap.

Oh, okay. My bad. So IW is definitely going to add dedicated servers to the PC version of MW2, right? I mean, you've complained about it quite a bit on these forums and since you're so pro-active, I'm sure you've already written a letter to Activision and included a signed picture of the $60 you won't be spending on MW2 unless they add dedicated servers, right? If not, you're just some random dude on the Internet saying something.

Also, I could be wrong but I don't think Jerykk uses Steam at all. Pirates aren't big on DRM-wrapped download services, even for their legally acquired games. Besides, I'm fairly certain he's actually said he doesn't use Steam.

That would be incorrect. I do use Steam and have a quite a few games attached to it. I also use GOG and GamersGate (though I have a lot more games with Steam). I generally prefer to have physical copies of games but for some games (mostly indie), this isn't an option which is why I use Steam.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2009, 01:56.

87. Re: DA Oct 30, 2009, 14:32 Ecthelion

Anyway, the idea of taking pictures of my gaming collection seems so nerdy yet appealing all at once. I've got about 250-300 cd cases in a couple of cd towers, but I think it would be cooler if I had saved all of the boxes and made some sort of geekish mosaic with them and photographed it! Damn the wife and her protestations about all the space my old game boxes took up.
I got around that obstacle (the Mrs.) by collapsing the boxes (except for the couple of boxes that were too thick to collapse) and storing them inside paper boxes. Now that we're finally moving into a house after years of apartment living, maybe I can find some space to show off those boxes.

Also, I could be wrong but I don't think Jerykk uses Steam at all. Pirates aren't big on DRM-wrapped download services, even for their legally acquired games. Besides, I'm fairly certain he's actually said he doesn't use Steam.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2009, 14:32.

86. Re: DA Oct 30, 2009, 14:22 Prez

If I went through the effort of borrowing a friend's camera, gathering my whole game collection in one place, taking a picture and uploading it to the net, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if you said "Oh yeah!? Well, I bet you've pirated ten times as many games as that!"

It would be easier if you just bought all of your games via Steam, then you could add us as a friend and we could view your games list.

Anyway, the idea of taking pictures of my gaming collection seems so nerdy yet appealing all at once. I've got about 250-300 cd cases in a couple of cd towers, but I think it would be cooler if I had saved all of the boxes and made some sort of geekish mosaic with them and photographed it! Damn the wife and her protestations about all the space my old game boxes took up.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

85. Re: DA Oct 30, 2009, 11:29 Verno

If I went through the effort of borrowing a friend's camera, gathering my whole game collection in one place, taking a picture and uploading it to the net, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if you said "Oh yeah!? Well, I bet you've pirated ten times as many games as that!" It's a lost cause, really, which is why I'm not going to bother anymore.

If you posted a picture of your gaming collection with your name written on a piece of paper somewhere in it to prove you didn't collect one from images.google.com then I would never broach the topic again for the record. Unless of course that collection consists of 10 games instead of the 100+ you have said you purchased over the years on here and for that reason we both know you will never post any pictures. Regardless, what do you care about justifying it to us on this forum? If you asked me to do the same, I would either do it or not, I wouldn't spend a page talking about it. I mean really, you're the guy always on about on this stuff how pirates are also consumers so you can't be shocked or surprised when people actually ask you put your money where your mouth is.

The guy buying one game out of every 10 he pirates doesn't exactly bring a big impact to the industry's decision making process versus the guy who pays for most or all of the games he plays so that's the problem I have with your argument and post of a singular receipt.

Worst logic ever? Quite possibly. What would e-mailing pictures of my game collection to publishers accomplish? They would just delete my e-mail without even reading it. I can't prove anything to them because I'm just one voice and they only listen to the masses.

Worst logic ever? Quite possibly. Yes what would emailing pictures proving you are a concerned customer ever accomplish, surely all companies hate their consumers and will ignore all communication with them. I can say that nearly every time I've had a complaint with a company, my concerns as a paying customer are always heard because I make sure that they know who and what I am, not just some random dude on the Internet saying something where talk is very cheap.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2009, 11:45.

84. Re: DA Oct 30, 2009, 00:33 Jerykk

Somehow I'm not terribly surprised by your reluctance

I'm not terribly surprised by your constantly shifting argument.

"Oh yeah!? I bet you never buy games!"
*I provide link to receipt of game recently purchased at full price*
"Oh yeah!? I bet you only buy some games but pirate everything else!"

If I went through the effort of borrowing a friend's camera, gathering my whole game collection in one place, taking a picture and uploading it to the net, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if you said "Oh yeah!? Well, I bet you've pirated ten times as many games as that!" It's a lost cause, really, which is why I'm not going to bother anymore.

If you were trying to prove it, you should be emailing photos of your gaming collection to publishers, not people around here.

Worst logic ever? Quite possibly. What would e-mailing pictures of my game collection to publishers accomplish? They would just delete my e-mail without even reading it. I can't prove anything to them because I'm just one voice and they only listen to the masses.

The people here have an opinion I disagree with. The only way to refute that opinion is through fact and logic. Unfortunately, neither have anything to do with morality which is why people continue to disagree with me.

83. Re: DA Oct 30, 2009, 00:09 Yifes

As I've said before, I'm trying to prove that pirates and customers are not mutually exclusive.

Do thieves buy stuff legally? Do bad people do good things occasionally? I'm not equating piracy with thievery, or antisocial behavior. But all you're saying is that both good and bad can co-exist, which is pretty obvious, and hardly needs your efforts to prove it. If I rape someone and then save 100 orphans, I might be a better person than a pure rapist, but does that make me less accountable for that rape? Just because you buy games doesn't make you less accountable for your piracy.

Some people accept that there's risks to buying a game. You may end up buying a game you don't like. You may have to wait till a game is on sale before you can afford it. But saying I want to play everything for free NOWNOWNOW!! and only pay eventually for the ones that I enjoy, is pretty childish behavior. You may choose to be responsible and own up to your actions, or you may continue to bend the law, and run away from ever having to face the consequences of a bad decision; But what the fuck, what does it even matter to anyone but yourself?

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2009, 00:52.

82. Re: DA Oct 29, 2009, 16:01 Prez

I'm with Prez, sounds like self-justification to me. If you were trying to prove it, you should be emailing photos of your gaming collection to publishers, not people around here.

I don't mean to sound judgmental or condescending - I'm the LAST person to sit in judgment of others. I am guilty of piracy myself from time to time, for my own reasons but I generally don't go advertising it. It's a personal issue, and you're going to be hard-pressed to find any sympathy from the PC gaming faithful regardless of how wholesome your intentions.

I agree completely that most pirates are easily converted to customers (and often make that choice on their own) given the right conditions and circumstances, but most people here aren't going to trouble themselves with understanding the distinction.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2009, 16:02.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

81. Re: DA "RPG of the Decade" Oct 29, 2009, 12:57 Verno

I guess you'll have to remain willfully ignorant

Somehow I'm not terribly surprised by your reluctance

As I've said before, I'm trying to prove that pirates and customers are not mutually exclusive.

I'm with Prez, sounds like self-justification to me. If you were trying to prove it, you should be emailing photos of your gaming collection to publishers, not people around here.

80. Re: DA Oct 29, 2009, 12:31 Jerykk

Take one of your entire gaming collection because forgive me if I don't believe someone who claims to not have a cellphone camera, digital camera or access to anyone with one in the year 2009.

I have a phone camera but I can't connect it to my PC. While I do know people with cellphones that can, I'm not going to ask to borrow their phones so I can take a picture of my games to satisfy the doubts of some dude on the internet. If my receipts aren't enough, I guess you'll have to remain willfully ignorant. Oh well, can't say I didn't try.

Why waste the time justifying your actions to others, unless you are also still justifying them to yourself?

As I've said before, I'm trying to prove that pirates and customers are not mutually exclusive. Too many people make the convenient assumption that a pirate would never buy a game which is simply untrue.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2009, 12:32.

79. Re: DA Oct 29, 2009, 10:25 Prez

Oh brother. So what exactly would I need to do to prove to you that I buy games on a regular basis?

More to the point, why would you bother. Only you know if you are true to your word, and in the end, all you will have to answer to is your own conscience. Why waste the time justifying your actions to others, unless you are also still justifying them to yourself?

- Mahatma Gandhi

78. Re: DA Oct 29, 2009, 09:43 Verno

As with all games, the only way to find out is to play it.

So wait for a demo.

So what exactly would I need to do to prove to you that I buy games on a regular basis? Want me to send you phyiscal copies of every receipt?

Take one of your entire gaming collection because forgive me if I don't believe someone who claims to not have a cellphone camera, digital camera or access to anyone with one in the year 2009.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2009, 09:51.

77. Re: DA Oct 29, 2009, 01:38 Jerykk

Except you're never gonna buy it, because you've already made up your mind that it's gonna suck.

No need to overreact. I never said that Dragon Age was going to suck. My complaints about previous Bioware games are based on established fact, as other posters have agreed. I never said the games sucked though. I enjoyed KOTOR, Jade Empire and Mass Effect despite their many flaws. Whether or not these flaws will exist in Dragon Age is another matter entirely. As with all games, the only way to find out is to play it.

Providing a picture of a single receipt(where is this picture exactly btw?) doesn't exactly prove you don't have a hard drive full of ISOs that weren't purchased.

Oh brother. So what exactly would I need to do to prove to you that I buy games on a regular basis? Want me to send you phyiscal copies of every receipt? Maybe I should ship all my game boxes to you. Oh, I'll e-mail you my Steam, GamersGate and GOG logins so you can see my digital purchases too. But wait, I guess none of that would be sufficient. After all, even I have proof of having bought a thousand games, there could be a million that I pirated!!1! :O

In any case, here's a screenshot of my Amazon receipt for Batman.

http://img515.yfrog.com/i/batmanreceipt.jpg/

Full price. No piracy-preventing copy-protection, no online play (and therefore no need to buy the game to enjoy all its features), etc. I can take a screenshot of my Risen receipt too if you want. Or you can continue basking in ignorance so that your paradigm remains intact.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2009, 01:46.

76. Re: DA Oct 28, 2009, 14:03 Creston

Easy there, cowboy. Don't get too worked up over my Bioware criticism. Of course I'm going to try DA. I doubt there will be a demo so you're probably right, I'll have to try a pirated copy. If it's good, it gets my money. Win-win situation for all.

Except you're never gonna buy it, because you've already made up your mind that it's gonna suck. For that matter, if your opinion of Bioware games is (and I quote) "Stupid AI, sterile, non-interactive environments, non-interactive NPCs who are completely oblivious to your existence, same old character archetypes for your party members? "
why would you even bother to try it? It's just petty self-justification for you to steal it, and then come back on the boards and bash it to hell some more.

But hey, good on you. You keep fighting the good fight!

We'll never know, but I hope the game that you're working on gets pirated 5000 times for every copy you sell. Sadly, the Universe is hardly ever that just.

Creston

75. Re: DA Oct 28, 2009, 13:32 nin

I said I would if I had a digital camera.

You should steal one. It'd be par for the course for you...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

74. Re: DA "RPG of the Decade" Oct 28, 2009, 12:43 Verno

To be fair to Creston's point of view, why should someone care about the concerns of non-paying customer? Providing a picture of a single receipt(where is this picture exactly btw?) doesn't exactly prove you don't have a hard drive full of ISOs that weren't purchased.  

73. Re: DA Oct 28, 2009, 12:27 Jerykk

No one needs to hear about your piracy plans, you're like a kid who can't stop bragging about something he knows is wrong.

I'm not the one one who brought it up nor am I the one continuing to dwell on it. I wrote a post pointed out the weaknesses that Bioware's games tend to have, then Creston retorted by basically saying "Oh yeah?! Well, you're a pirate!"

He said once before that he would take pictures of his gaming collection if people believe him, so they said go ahead and I never recall him doing so.

I said I would if I had a digital camera. Though, I did provide a link to my Amazon receipt for one of my more recent purchases (Batman: AA), which all my detractors seem to have conveniently overlooked. Guess that isn't terribly convenient to your current mindset.

92 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo