Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Zenimax Eyeing Valve?

Digital Survival on Eurogamer is an editorial first sent to GamesIndustry.biz subscribers. The article hashes through the battle for supremacy in the digital distribution marketplace, and offers some speculation of a deal between GameStop and Metaboli, and even more eye-opening, states there's "unconfirmed industry scuttlebutt" saying id Software and Bethesda Softworks parent Zenimax is considering acquiring Valve:

However, it's also worth watching closely what happens to Steam in the coming months. Unconfirmed industry scuttlebutt suggests that Zenimax - the parent company of Bethesda, which made headlines back in June when it acquired legendary PC studio id Software - is still on the acquisition trail, and has been making eyes at Half-Life creators Valve across the bar.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 29, 2009, 00:58 ^Drag0n^

Actually, ZeniMax is pretty darn big, Zyrxil...check out their board of directors...

~^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 28, 2009, 14:32 Verno

Fair enough, I'm just saying that I think a lot of HL2 hoopla was over the engine moreso than the game itself. GTAIV is another perfect example of that, I could not possibly count all of the people disgruntled with that game once they got over the initial "whoa" from seeing the city.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

39. Re: Game Reviews Oct 28, 2009, 11:29 BobBob

HL1 is Valve, so you are safe in your opinion.  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

38. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 28, 2009, 11:19 Verno

I really wasn't totally thrilled with HL2, more wowed by the Source engine at the time. Somewhere in the transition from geek caught up in a shitstorm just trying to survive to literally becoming the messiah something was lost in translation. The AI of the Combine was a pretty big disappointment for me as well considering how good the grunt AI in HL1 was in comparison. I look at HL2 as a fantastic demo of the Source engine more than anything else. I enjoyed it but ultimately liked HL1 more.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

37. Re: Game Reviews Oct 27, 2009, 15:48 BobBob

Case in point.  

36. Re: Game Reviews Oct 27, 2009, 15:37 wtf_man

Valve makes the best FPS games ever. Anyone who denies that is just looking for attention.

Wow... if someone doesn't agree with you they are just looking for attention??? /ROFL

I never said Half-Life 2 was shit... I just said I didn't really care for it (compared to the first one).

As for Valve being the "best"... that's debatable... they certainlay aren't shit, either... but there has been many other FPS's I've enjoyed more than HL-2.

/shrug

35. Re: Game Reviews Oct 27, 2009, 01:25 BobBob

Valve makes the best FPS games ever. Anyone who denies that is just looking for attention.  

34. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 27, 2009, 00:35 Sepharo

There are people who play nothing but HL2:DM.

People who sit in Gary's Mod all day.

There are certainly some people who do give a shit.
Why the hell am I responding to this.

33. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 26, 2009, 23:57 wtf_man

HL2 was the first FPS with real rag-doll physics. Actually, scratch that, it was the first FPS to have realistic physics of any kind. You do remember the E3 demonstration showcasing all the various textures, effects, and physics? Remember the pachinko? Remember that warm feeling you got after seeing it? Yeah, that was Half-Life 2.

Physics doesn't mean shit to me. Good story and gameplay does. Half Life was far superior to Half-Life 2, IMO.

If physics was 'da bomb'... PhysX hardware would have taken off like 3D graphics did. Even with nVidia pushing it... most people don't give a shit.

It doesn't add that much more immersion. A shitty game with physics is still a shitty game. (Not saying HL-2 was shitty, but the physics has nothing to do with it)

/shrug

32. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 26, 2009, 23:55 Kxmode

I stand corrected. But can you honestly say you had a "holy shit" moment the first time you saw those features in any of those games? I remember UT2K3, but in my mind HL2 was the game that did it for me.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2009, 23:56.

31. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 26, 2009, 23:41 Beamer

HL2 was the first FPS with real rag-doll physics.

No, it wasn't.

Actually, scratch that, it was the first FPS to have realistic physics of any kind.

No, it wasn't.

Max Payne 2 had realistic physics.
HL2 just did them far better. Still not quite perfect, but things weren't as floaty as they were in MP2. Still, I remember MP2 having health on high shelves that you could shoot down. I thought that was mind blowing.

UT2K3 had ragdoll. I remember playing the demo a ton just to score goals and see the body fall down, boucing off pipes. Didn't like the game much, loved the ragdoll physics.
But I think Trespasser gets the title of first FPS to use them. And the first to use real physics. In fact, they spent so much time on the physics they forgot to put effort into the rest of the game.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

30. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 26, 2009, 23:35 Kxmode

I'm probably one of the few that thought Half-Life 2 wasn't all that great.

HL2 was the first FPS with real rag-doll physics. Actually, scratch that, it was the first FPS to have realistic physics of any kind. You do remember the E3 demonstration showcasing all the various textures, effects, and physics? Remember the pachinko? Remember that warm feeling you got after seeing it? Yeah, that was Half-Life 2.

29. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 26, 2009, 23:31 Kxmode

Dumb rumor will never happen.

Like the rumor about ZeniMax buying id. Or the rumor of Dell buying Alienware. Or the rumor of Disney buying Marvel. Yeah, quite right dumb rumor... will never happen.

28. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 26, 2009, 22:43 wtf_man

I'm probably one of the few that thought Half-Life 2 wasn't all that great.

So, personally, I really don't give a shit who buys them, if anyone does.

I think it's pretty obvious that any offers are probably more due to Steam publishing than the dev studio.

27. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 26, 2009, 19:29 Karnisov

oh god please no. ugh.  
"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary

26. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 26, 2009, 17:17 PacoTaco

Dumb rumor will never happen.  

25. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 26, 2009, 17:00 Creston

Another article had said that Steam was largely the motivation for Google trying to acquire Valve, not about them trying to acquire 'just' Steam

Fair enough, thanks man.

Creston

24. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 26, 2009, 16:33 killer_roach

Why would Valve sell to a company with lower quality standards like ZeniMax?

Personally, I haven't seen Valve being anywhere near as high-quality as people say they are. They just have a lot more gamer good will toward them. Kinda like Blizzard in that regard.

Overall, though, there are certainly far worse people they could sell to.

23. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 26, 2009, 15:57 Acleacius

Why would Valve sell to a company with lower quality standards like ZeniMax?  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

22. Re: Zenimax Eyeing Valve? Oct 26, 2009, 15:38 Krovven

Didn't they also say they were open to acquisition for the right buyer though?

He said he was "happy to have that conversation...By the same token, the company's doing pretty well, and we're really happy with what we're doing. So we'll see. I mean, anything is possible.", which means they will listen to offers. It's a smart business practice to listen to offers, if nothing more than to find out what others perceive the value of your company to be.

A month later Gabe Newell apparently said there was no such talks going on at this moment, but no direct quote from that.

I think he was talking about Steam in particular.

Another article had said that Steam was largely the motivation for Google trying to acquire Valve, not about them trying to acquire 'just' Steam...but this was all just rumor, just like this with Zenimax.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19695

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2009, 15:51.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo