Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands' Firm Street Dates

Though some folks have been able to purchase Borderlands early, 2K Games confirms that the game's DRM will not unlock until next week's scheduled release dates for Gearbox's role-playing shooter (thanks nin via IGN). The 2K Forums have a comment from 2K community manager 2K Elizabeth explaining the situation:

Yesterday we learned that a fraction of the PC copies of Borderlands were accidentally sold to consumers in some countries but that gamers could not activate their copies yet. Since we learned of this problem, we have been looking into the issue to find the best possible solution for everyone.

I'm going to be completely honest with you guys right now. It is not possible for us to move the planned release date of the game forward. We could not possibly get the games into stores worldwide and out for digital distribution any earlier than planned. Less than 1% of all copies were sold, and if we unlocked the game today, illegal versions would most likely appear on torrents by the evening. I am sure all of you want our PC launch to be as successful as possible, and we simply won't be able to manage that any earlier than already planned.

I want to apologize for those of you who have gotten the game ahead of our release date, and ask for your patience and understanding. The game will be ready in the US and Canada at midnight eastern standard time on Monday, October 26th, and internationally by Friday, October 30th.

View
178 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

178. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 30, 2009, 19:20 Kxmode

If this thread reach 200 posts there will be a cure for cancer!  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

177. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 29, 2009, 13:58 Verno

When you are fighting off other creatures, while they are looting, it's very easy to miss these messages. Is there a way to see previous messages?

If you say so, they're huge and green so I never have trouble noticing them personally. I have no clue about previous messages and I'm at work right now and can't test. I would assume not unless the console is enabled or something.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

176. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 28, 2009, 17:07 Krovven

Yea I had the Hawk, but forgot to use it. But had no skill points dropped in it either, so not sure what he would have done.

Still whooped your butt 3 to 0

175. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 28, 2009, 16:08 xXBatmanXx

And as our duel showed, a sniper vs a soldier is a joke. I got whooped for no reason - couldn't even get close to you. Imagine have special skills!!!!  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

174. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 28, 2009, 15:35 Krovven

When you are fighting off other creatures, while they are looting, it's very easy to miss these messages. Is there a way to see previous messages?

It's also been pointed out that duels aren't very fair as it's almost entirely based on gear and abilities, not player skill. The level difference has a huge factor due to the skill points, as do weapons...when they can even use the new weapon against you.

People are talking about skills that launch all 6 grenades, Bloodhawk killing in one hit, etc.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2009, 15:36.

173. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 28, 2009, 14:39 Verno

That's assuming you even had a chance to see what dropped

When people pickup weapons/shields/etc in a group, everyone gets a message on their screen saying "X picked up Y". This doesn't apply to ammo and grenades for obvious reasons.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

172. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 28, 2009, 13:51 Krovven

http://www.destructoid.com/borderlands-trade-system-may-change-if-people-want-it-to-153188.phtml

Neumann hasnít encountered a problem with loot-whoring like some complaining about the free-for-all, simply-drop system have been. If thereís a dispute, Neumann says he settles it via duels with a hearty helping of the honor system afterward.

That's assuming you even had a chance to see what dropped. The non-existent loot/trade system is a pile of shit, particularly in open games. Play with friends you say, sure. It's not always an option and you won't meet new people that way.

171. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 27, 2009, 22:30 JohnnyRotten

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_11.html
There's a great example of AF there if you page down. It also shows AA

Cool, thanks for the link. Good info.

170. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 27, 2009, 16:44 Dev

JohnnyRotten:
AA is anti aliasing, reduces jaggies.

AF is antistropic filtering. What this does is push the visable edge of the detail textures out more. Otherwise it would all be a blur on the buildings and ground.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_11.html
There's a great example of AF there if you page down. It also shows AA, and the other pages in the guide talk about other things. Its good to know a few of these things for game settings so you can tell what it would visably do when you change the settings. Like if you are ok with jaggies (I play at 1920x1080 so I usually dont care about them much), disabling AA can give you a LARGE boost to framerate (depending on your computer/graphics card of course).

169. Re: That argument doesn't hold. Oct 27, 2009, 14:46 JohnnyRotten

here is no AA, there is only AF

Thought that was the same thing. Not a graphics wonk. Sorry for the bad advice.

168. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 27, 2009, 14:45 xXBatmanXx

Can't host a game - no matter what I do.
I refuse to put my rig in the DMZ.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

167. Re: That argument doesn't hold. Oct 27, 2009, 13:23 Krovven

There is no AA, there is only AF. Speaking of AF, I see no difference between 4x, 8x and 16x on the textures. Off, 2x and 4x you can see the textures change as you change the setting.

There is apparently a way to get AA by editing the config files, but has some potential issues with it.

I tried upping my res to 1920x1080 to see how the game would run and it runs very well, and the jaggies are much less noticable, so AA wasnt really needed, except on lower resolutions.

166. Re: That argument doesn't hold. Oct 27, 2009, 13:15 JohnnyRotten

My 2 main issues are that there is no AA...

This fooled me at first too - There is a down arrow on the audio/video options screen that has AA and a bunch of other options.

- J

165. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 27, 2009, 12:20 xXBatmanXx

I have a lvl 11 hunter, and lvl 8 solder. Hunter is my second shot at the game. I gave up the sniper and went to handgun - I have a nice little ditty that lights dudes on fire.

The more time I play and the more missions I do (there are a ton) the more fun it is. I am preferring to play solo until I can hookup with friends. Pubs just run through the game - very frustrating. And lag is a huge issue if you are trying to snipe in a pub game.

164. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 27, 2009, 12:11 Krovven

I expect that those that play as the Hunter will experience the glaring AI problems moreso than the other classes as they are all close combat.

Guess I'll have to switch classes and give the game another shot.

163. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 27, 2009, 09:17 xXBatmanXx

Couldn't host a game....had to change some settings (NEVER have to do this...I can only blame gearbox

To host an online game, the following ports need to be opened / pushed to the host's internal IP address:

7777 (TCP/UDP)
28900 (TCP)
27900 (UDP)
28910 (TCP)
6500 (UDP) for Gamespy.

162. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 27, 2009, 09:02 xXBatmanXx

Dev where you go?

Anyway....the more I play the better it gets....but. The menu systems blows though.

161. Re: Borderlands Dates Oct 27, 2009, 06:26 Dev

I accidently found out how to quick swap guns. The 'e' key that you use to pick up? Hold it down on a gun and it will put your current gun in that slot into inventory, and the one you are picking up will go into that slot and become your new current gun.  

160. Re: That argument doesn't hold. Oct 27, 2009, 02:09 Sepharo

FFFFFFFFFFFFF

Oh well, there's always the next game.

Or maybe they'll blow me away with some extreme patching.

159. Re: That argument doesn't hold. Oct 27, 2009, 01:32 Krovven

but mouse doesn't work well on most areas of the game that have menus (consolotis).

Yea, some menu's use scroll wheel, some menus use PGUP/PGDOWN, some use the up/down arrows...really inconsistent and fucked up.

Friends window you can use the mouse, but you cant see the mouse cursor.

Other menu's give you an OK/Cancel option but also give a press ENTER or ESCAPE option...but pressing ESCAPE doesn't actually work.

Changing inventory and comparing items is trial by error. When in a shop and select an item to compare, the first things listed are other items in the store, rather than your own equipment, which you have to scroll down to see (mouse wheel works here).

Quest window, there is a down arrow (clickable on most screens) but can't be clicked, mouse wheel doesnt work, you have to use PGUP/PGDOWN.

Is there no hotkey for using a medkit? Do you really have to open Inventory and double click on it?

Swapping out inventory items to your equipped items is dumb, obviously made for a click-select, press right, click-to exchange using a gamepad. Would be far better to drag and drop, or double click and auto-equip. Instead you click to select a pistol and it auto-selects your Sniper-Rifle inventory slot? WTF?

The AI can be absolutely fucking retarded! Some mobs you can snipe from a distance and they act like nothing happened. Get closer, they start chasing you, easy to get them stuck on a barrel, repeatedly trying to jump over a barrel, or they will get on a rock 20 feet above you in perfect position to pounce on you, but just stand there while you shoot at them.

Maybe if Pitchford spent less time mouthing off about other companies and more time QAing his own product...?

There is an underlying great game here, marred by lazy Design, Programming and QA.

Edit: Another example. Quest, Bone Head's Theft. Target = Bone Head. I'm a Hunter (ie: Sniper). Get to close to his camp and he chases, I run away, take cover, he retreats. I move in from another direction, he immediately knows where I am and is facing me as I peak around the rocks, but doesn't shoot, doesn't move. I just stand there headshotting him over and over, Critical after Critical until he is dead. Quest complete. Kill his cronies that spawn after his death, loot up and move on.

I'm beginning to regret this purchase, and wish I had bought Dragon Age instead, despite DA:O being almost twice the price to go for the Digital Deluxe Edition.

Torchlight tomorrow...at least I know I enjoy playing that game having already played it at PAX.

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 2009, 02:07.

178 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo