Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs

Blend Games reports the system requirements for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Ultimate Sith Edition, the upcoming PC edition of the Star Wars action game:

Minimal system requirements
     • Operating system: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7
     • CPU: Dual-core CPU with 2.4 GHz (Intel core 2 Duo or Athlon X2)
     • RAM: 2 GiByte
     • Graphics card: Shader model 3 with 256 MiByte VRAM (Radeon HD 2900 or Geforce 8800)
     • HDD: 24 GByte + 1 GByte swap file

Recommended system requirements
     • CPU: Intel core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 5200+
     • Graphics card: Radeon HD 4870 or Geforce 9800 GT

Supported graphics cards
     • Ati Radeon HD 2900, 3850, 3870, 4850, 4870
     • Nvidia Geforce 8800, 9600, 9800, 260, 280

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 23, 2009, 17:56 Prez

I am hesitant to say anything negative about this, because I feel a publisher supporting the PC should be applauded, but the game reviewed pretty mediocre on consoles; I expect it to sell pretty poorly on PC, but I guess we'll see. I'll just file this under the "Not sure why they bothered?" category.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 23, 2009, 16:53 swaaye

I played a good chunk of the game on 360 and yeah I would definitely NOT pay more than $20 for this game. In fact, I'd prefer to ignore it and instead play the JK series.

Err, no, that's completely wrong. You HAVE to compress with 360. 360 discs have a max content capacity of ~6.8 gigs. Both MS and Sony provide tools for compressing games with their respective SDKs.
Ok so I worded that badly. Obviously the 360 uses compressed texture, audio, and video formats. But with a PC game, typically the game is compressed again into cab files on the installation media and then decompressed when installed. The PC game will still usually have various compressed file formats. Sometimes PC games have rather uncompressed assets though, such as with maps with the Unreal Engine games.

However, I'm fairly sure that there is data duplication on 360 DVDs because of how the DVD drive has to read sequentially to keep speed up during the noisy continuous streaming it does.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2009, 17:00.

26. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 23, 2009, 10:28 ibm

Dragon Age will be around 20 gigs according to Steam.

Anyway yeah, the requirements are pretty steep. It may be older tech like the 8800 GTS but that still plays a lot of recent games at the higher end of ingame gfx levels today. So whats the point in upgrading?

According to a quick glance at Steam hardware surveys only about 30% (if that) of respondents will be able to meet the minimal system requirements and Steam users would tend to be a upper tier of pc owners with regards to system specs I imagine.

Although I've only seen results of cpu speed. I can't see if they're broken down into single/dual/quad core so it could be much less.

That's without all the reports of the game being a good rental for the console and not worth buying. I'd pay £5 for a time limited install on the PC if that were available

25. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Sp Oct 23, 2009, 07:29 Lokust

Those requirements are insane for a game that really doesn't look that good, and more importantly doesn't play that good. When you wield a lightsaber you want to fuck. shit. up.

Not have it work like a glowy nerf baton.

24. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 23, 2009, 04:12 peteham

Played this game on 360 and was thoroughly unimpressed.

The saber combat is garbage compared to Jedi Outcast/Academy.
Yep. Played this on the Xbox a while ago when it dropped to bargain-bin prices. It could have been great but it just wasn't. The camera is annoying, the controls are fairly imprecise, the saber combat is as you say garbage, the story/storytelling is mediocre. In short, the game as a whole is less than engaging. Bargain bin fodder if you're a Star Wars fan, otherwise, you won't miss much by giving this a pass.

If the game had stayed in development for at least another year having its gameplay tweaked, then maybe it would've actually realized some of its potential, because the physics systems are quite cool. Some actual GAME on top of these would've been nice, though.

My favorite part was having to whack stormtroopers 5+ times to kill them. My saber must have been low on battery through the entire game obviously. They obviously tweaked it like this to force the use of combos, but meh.. Lore-fail. Oh and the ending; don't get me started.

23. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 23, 2009, 03:25 Jerykk

Yeah, 24 gigs is pretty ridiculous. That's MMO territory.  

22. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 23, 2009, 03:16 Reactor

What the heck are these developers doing to need a 24gig install? Are there thousands of 4k textures extracting to 64bit tiffs, or a Blueray movie included in all of that?

Crazy.

21. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 23, 2009, 02:14 Jerykk

24GB install? A Xbox 360 DVD is about 8GB and the data has to stream off of it realtime (ie it's not super compressed.)

Err, no, that's completely wrong. You HAVE to compress with 360. 360 discs have a max content capacity of ~6.8 gigs. Both MS and Sony provide tools for compressing games with their respective SDKs.

20. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 23, 2009, 01:06 ViRGE

Bear in mind that none of the SM3 cards approach the overall power of those SM4 cards. My guess is that in spite of being an SM3 title, something like a Radeon X1900XTX would be too slow to play the game.  

19. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 23, 2009, 00:43 swaaye

The requirements are rather curious.

-SM3 minimum, but they list SM4 cards for min
-Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz or A64 X2 5200+? The former is like 2x faster.
-24GB install? A Xbox 360 DVD is about 8GB and the data has to stream off of it realtime (ie it's not super compressed.)
-Recommended requirements are not much different than minimum.
-Radeon 4870 or GF 9800 GT as recommended? Those aren't in the same class really....

I'm sensing morons on the other end of these requirements.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 2009, 00:49.

18. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 23, 2009, 00:38 SevereTireDamage

First min sysreqs I've seen that leapfrog my video card (HD 2600). Sad day for me!  

17. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 23, 2009, 00:23 Kxmode

Holy crap... 24Gig install?!?

That's my line!

16. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 23, 2009, 00:11 DeathMan20

Holy crap... 24Gig install?!?  

15. Re: its an answer, not a question Oct 22, 2009, 23:22 space captain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbsjU6aLV5c  
Go forth, and kill!

14. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 22, 2009, 22:54 Trashy

Obviously you do, seeing how it was important enough for you to reply.  

13. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 22, 2009, 22:45 Cutter

This just in...who cares.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 22, 2009, 21:56 Trashy

Seeing how I bought my Athlon 64 X2 system back in 2005 I'd say it's 4+ years old. I just recently bought a new system, that should last me for another 4 years which is usually the cycle life of my systems.  

11. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 22, 2009, 21:55 siapnar

Played this game on 360 and was thoroughly unimpressed.

The saber combat is garbage compared to Jedi Outcast/Academy.

I have projectile dysfunction.

10. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 22, 2009, 21:44 ASJD

I think it's just that you wouldn't expect the absolute cutting edge 3 years ago (not 4) to be absolute minimum requirements in that short of a time.  

9. Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed PC Specs Oct 22, 2009, 21:03 Trashy

Those are High PC requirements?

Those look like my 4 year old PC specs, with a video card upgrade.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo