Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

100 Million Need for Speed Sales

EA announces that their Need for Speed franchise has now sold more than 100 million copies over the years. The series has included 15 titles released in 22 languages in over 60 countries. "Few videogame franchises ever reach the 100M units mark, so this is a huge honor. We have millions of fans to thank for driving us to this milestone," says Frank Gibeau, president, EA Games Label. "With the launch of Need for Speed SHIFT and the upcoming release of Need for Speed NITRO, we hope to continue to deliver the most entertaining, action-packed racing experiences."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 22, 2009, 12:23 Jerykk

Although he doesn't like Carmageddon either, so I take his opinion with a pinch of salt..

How can anyone not like Carmageddon? That should be considered treason.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 22, 2009, 05:16 Bet

3, 4, and 5. Porsche Unleashed was my favorite because it was the most simulator style game of the modern ones. Then I moved onto IL-2, where I realized the real simulations were at - flight.

Great, great times with Need for Speed 3. Was the first game I loaded up on my Voodoo 2, and...oh dear lord was it sweet. So sweet. So pretty. So perfect.

20. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 22, 2009, 04:32 Zzet

Nah, not the entire genre. There are a few exceptions that don't involve weapons or violence that I like - Wipeout, F-Zero, Lamborghini American Challenge (anyone remember that?), Trackmania, Unirally for example. All of these have a different slant on the racing genre which I appreciate, but NFS hasn't really added anything of note (in my opinion) lately. You are right in presuming I have some sort of bias against the racing genre though, I won't hide that. Perhaps I'm ever so slightly bitter that a more innovative/original IP didn't achieve this landmark.  

19. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 22, 2009, 02:02 mag

Not really. You're basically saying that the entire racing genre is the same because there's no guns or pedestrians to run over, which is a really pointless complaint.

A true one, though!

18. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 21, 2009, 20:43 Yifes

Consider it a vague way of saying "if there was more to NFS than the same thing over and over again, I'd be more interested".

Not really. You're basically saying that the entire racing genre is the same because there's no guns or pedestrians to run over, which is a really pointless complaint.

17. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 21, 2009, 19:45 Zzet

So you played a racing game and were disappointed it wasn't GTA or Carmageddon? That's the most pointless complaint you can make.

Consider it a vague way of saying "if there was more to NFS than the same thing over and over again, I'd be more interested". From what I can tell from metacritic, there hasn't been a decent user-rated NFS game since 2005 (Carbon), which is reinforced by a driving nut PC/PS3 owning friend of mine. Although he doesn't like Carmageddon either, so I take his opinion with a pinch of salt..

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2009, 19:46.

16. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 21, 2009, 18:00 Tango

Porsche Unlimited was great. I bought NFS Shift the other week for my PS3, it's ok but it's no Gran Turismo, which is what it seems to be aiming at.  

15. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 21, 2009, 17:01 tootbrush

I will never understand the love the newer NFSs get. The career mode in both Underground and Most Wanted felt like typical MMORPG grinding to me. After a while I just got sick of gathering some kind of arbitrary points to unlock things.  

14. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 21, 2009, 16:40 Ginny

Another one for nfs3 hot pursuit.

+1 sale on the ps1, and again on the pc.

After the great nfs on my 3do, ea realy droped a ball on nfs2, 3 was a fantastic return to form.

4 was kinda ummm.. then porsche, great again.

Be nice if Ea did a hd remake of the original, priced it up for dl on psn/marketplace.

A standup point to point road race is sadly lacking these days.

13. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 21, 2009, 15:46 NobleAtreides

HighStakes with a FFB steering wheel, graphics powered by Voodoo 3DFX, PC Gaming was in its uprising days,

then it all went downhill. Most wanted was excellent, as is NFS SHIFT, I absolutely think they did a stellar job with the closed circuit tracks, except for the Major Bugs in the game affecting tuning and all, so it will collect dust until EA fixes it hahahahhaha like that's ever going to happen.

12. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 21, 2009, 15:40 Verno

Hot Pursuit and Porsche Unleashed in my opinion. I even enjoyed Underground for awhile before it got a bit obnoxious in the later sections. NFS just suffers from too many entries, they were doing them yearly at one point but I guess looking at that 100M sales figure they knew what they were doing.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

11. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 21, 2009, 15:35 Elf Shot The Food

Most Wanted is definitely my favorite.

Of the older ones, I liked Hot Pursuit and High Stakes the most.

Underground was fun too; I'd spend hours painting my cars and putting vinyls and body kits on them.

10. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 21, 2009, 15:09 Valtyr

I do have some very good memories from the very first NFS ever released. Back then I had my trusty old 14.4 modem to keep me connected to my buddy.

I did enjoy Hot Persuit and Most Wanted as well.

9. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 21, 2009, 14:43 Beamer

THIS! My friends and I played Hot Pursuit til we were unconscious.

Likewise. Mostly split-screen on the same keyboard.
Then we started making cars that weighed thousands of tons and accelerated instantly and really, really long oval courses to just plow through everything.

We did it via LAN once but no one would play with me - I was a big fan of starting a split second slower then spinning cars in front of me out. No one else thought this was a valid strategy...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 21, 2009, 14:42 Zyrxil

I've only ever played one of these games, and that was for a race or two before I got bored. The 100 million mark deserves at least mild applause, but if there are no guns or hapless civilians, one NFS is the same as another NFS to me.

So you played a racing game and were disappointed it wasn't GTA or Carmageddon? That's the most pointless complaint you can make.

7. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 21, 2009, 14:25 Slashman

The pinnacle of the series was III: Hot Pursuit, when they added cop cars.

THIS! My friends and I played Hot Pursuit til we were unconscious.

6. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 21, 2009, 14:20 Kxmode

The only NFS I played was Hot Pursuit and I very much enjoyed it on PS1 back when I still played console games!

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2009, 14:21.

5. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 21, 2009, 14:17 Efflixi

Agreed, Hot Pursuit was the best of the series.  

4. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 21, 2009, 14:10 The Half Elf

Hot Pursuit, High Stakes, Most Wanted, and I heard Porsche Unleashed was good but never did like their cars.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: 100 Million Need for Speed Sales Oct 21, 2009, 14:05 JaguarUSF

The pinnacle of the series was III: Hot Pursuit, when they added cop cars.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo