Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Cost of Buying Gold

Gold Buying on the WoW Support Website has Blizzard's take on gold buying, explaining how it impacts all players (thanks Ant). Here's a bit:

We regularly track the source of the gold these companies sell, and find that an alarmingly high amount comes from hacked accounts. These are the friends, relatives, and guildmates you may know who have gone through the experience of having characters, gold, and items stripped from them after visiting a website or opening a file containing a trojan virus. Our teams work to educate players and assist them in avoiding account compromise, but the fact remains that the players themselves are often these companies' largest target as a source for gold, which the companies then turn around and sell to other players.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: The Cost of Buying Gold Oct 22, 2009, 15:45 Longswd

I would feel a lot more secure doing online banking if two-factor authentication was used- like it is for wow if you get the authenticator.

While not ideal, BofA does use a system cookie to retain an answer to a random personal question drawn from a small pool. Try to login from a system that doesn't have the cookie, you'll have to answer the question so it does help guard somewhat against a key logger.

As an anti-phishing/DNS-hijack measure, they display a small picture you setup when you configured the account. If the picture isn't present on the login screen or is different, you know not to login.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2009, 15:47.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: The Cost of Buying Gold Oct 22, 2009, 04:41 winnetou

Blizzard's Authenticator. Blizzard even waives the shipping costs.
Oh, when did they change its shipping policy? I remember that costing more than the authenticators themselves back when they were first introduced- at least in Europe.
Guess it does make sense once support hours for account recovery become excessive.

14. Re: The Cost of Buying Gold Oct 21, 2009, 20:46 rist3903

I would feel a lot more secure doing online banking if two-factor authentication was used- like it is for wow if you get the authenticator.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2009, 03:21.

13. Re: The Cost of Buying Gold Oct 21, 2009, 19:46 space captain

Someone who hijacks my WOW account probably would have been just as able to hijack my bank or email account,

oh yeh.. online bank security is just as bad as WoW account security

Rotfl

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: The Cost of Buying Gold Oct 21, 2009, 19:35 Rikilii

Gee, and all this time I thought it was all the bots that they never ban for months at a time.  

11. Re: The Cost of Buying Gold Oct 21, 2009, 16:42 Kxmode

It seems to me if people really value their WOW account they would spend $6.50 for a Blizzard's Authenticator. Blizzard even waives the shipping costs. Or go get the iPhone app for free. Confused

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2009, 16:44.

10. Re: The Cost of Buying Gold Oct 21, 2009, 15:38 Rhett

I've even seen complex .jpg links or attachments that included keyloggers... Albeit that'd be extremely hard to do, but the wrong link to a fake jpg and you have a keylogger.

There are "places" dedicated to scamming other players of their accounts and gold, it's so ridiculous. Albeit I've never been hacked (I've been scared into changing my password and contacting blizzard on accident, falsely, when their login servers were down..lol), I'm always vigilant.

Actually when I last renewed on the 29th, I was unable to log in (it said my password/login was wrong) despite being able to use it repeatedly on their main website. I had to merge it with my battle.net account, and that fixed it, for some reason. Scared the crap out of me

Authenticators work people, BUY IT!

9. Re: The Cost of Buying Gold Oct 21, 2009, 15:11 Verno

Not really possible due to the diversity of the playerbase. Any solution would piss off people. Some people do strange shit like play logged in over a VPN, WoW isn't exactly a latency intensive title. When I used to play, I had people from my guild login from a hotel while on vacation LOL.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

8. Re: The Cost of Buying Gold Oct 21, 2009, 14:59 Frijoles

They could, however, offer us a way to lock our accounts to a region. I think. I don't know much about that. But I know I don't travel to China very often. And if I did, I could enter account page and tell it to unlock (give it a delay, like a week). It would then email me that the account has been changed.  

7. Re: The Cost of Buying Gold Oct 21, 2009, 14:19 Verno

The simple answer is that a lot of people travel and play from countries other than their origin. In fact millions of people fly every day, you can be sure at least some of them are WoW players As an example, my little brother plays WoW and went to university in Edinburgh so he would have been banned from playing his character the whole three years his PHD took.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2009, 14:20.

6. Re: The Cost of Buying Gold Oct 21, 2009, 14:13 Cutter

Well why doesn't Blizzard block any IP outside of Canada/America wehre it can't really do much legally - e.g. China, etc. - and that way any hacking done domestically becomes a federal offense and the respective federal agencies can track down, fine and imprison said offenders. That's a good deal of the problem solve right there, as well as the gold farming to boot.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: The Cost of Buying Gold Oct 21, 2009, 14:07 Verno

It's not just email attachments. I've seen USB sticks infected with trojans that grab common MMO login info, they get passed around by accident at colleges and schools. There's a lot of money in it and the hackers have become very creative, not to mention the potential plain old social engineering.  

4. Re: The Cost of Buying Gold Oct 21, 2009, 13:55 AnarKane

I think I learned A, not to open attachments in my e-mail, and B, that if a site is a suspected hack site, not to go there... think I learned that back in 2000.  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

3. Re: The Cost of Buying Gold Oct 21, 2009, 13:42 Shok

@Frosty:

after visiting a website or opening a file containing a trojan virus.

I take it reading comprehension isn't your strong point or you would understand Blizzard can't control stupid people/kids downloading smiley browser addons and whatnot and infecting their computers with trojans.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2009, 13:43.

2. Re: The Cost of Buying Gold Oct 21, 2009, 13:37 Domgrief

Really?! Then there must be SO MUCH hacking going on, and Blizzard's protection of player accounts so weak.

Actually, Blizzard has gone to extraordinary lengths to allow users to protect their accounts.

Someone who hijacks my WOW account probably would have been just as able to hijack my bank or email account, but stealing and selling virtual items carries a much lower legal risk to the thief than if Real Money is involved.

1. Re: The Cost of Buying Gold Oct 21, 2009, 12:59 Frosty

Teehee:)

Really?! Then there must be SO MUCH hacking going on, and Blizzard's protection of player accounts so weak.

Sounds like Blizzard trying to scare people into staying away.

No I do not play this game.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo