Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On the World of Goo Sale

Rock, Paper, Shotgun follows up on the World of Goo sale that's currently underway allowing customers to pick their own price for 2dboy's platformer. They analyze "interesting," "significant," and even "fascinating" data on the prices gamers chose to pay (besides the over 16,000 who paid a penny), including 352 who chose the occasion of this sale to pay full price. Perhaps most striking is that 10% of the customers who gave a reason for their purchase said they were now purchasing the game after having previously pirated it. In all the game has sold about 57,000 copies during the sale for over $100,000, and 2dboy is making a note here, "huge success."

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 21, 2009, 11:34 shponglefan

On the other hand, if they'd charged a *minimum* of a dollar, and all of the $.01 people decided to buy it anyway, they'd have made an additional $16,000.

That would never happen.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 21, 2009, 09:37 Prez

Well, they set the minimum price. In fact, I would argue the price itself was only $0.01 and everything above that was charity.

Bingo.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

39. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 21, 2009, 07:23 Agrajag

They have no box, no manual, no shipping, no nothing. All digital. Every single sale is money in their pocket.

You're also ignoring the cost of hosting the downloads... Yeah, averaged out over time, that probably approaches next to nothing on a per-download basis, too... But, still, a penny isn't really going to cover it, I doubt... (Especially when paypal takes the whole thing to start with...)

38. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 21, 2009, 03:05 Creston

A "huge success" is relative because they've ALREADY sold a ton of copies (at regular price) which means they can accept a penny and still be happy with it.

That's one way to look at it. You can also say that their game is completely digital, and it doesn't cost them ANYTHING to make more copies. Therefore, selling a copy for a penny is still a penny of pure profit. (ignoring paypal's crap.)

They have no box, no manual, no shipping, no nothing. All digital. Every single sale is money in their pocket.

Creston

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2009, 03:06.

37. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 21, 2009, 02:25 mag

i wonder if they averaged everything if simply selling the game for $X (lets just say $1) would have worked better for them overall?

They sold 57,000 copies. If they sold it for $1 each, they would have made $57,000. Instead, they made over $100,000. On the other hand, if they'd charged a *minimum* of a dollar, and all of the $.01 people decided to buy it anyway, they'd have made an additional $16,000.

36. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 20, 2009, 23:44 shponglefan

So much more insulting to the developer to pay a penny rather than just steal it.

Well, they set the minimum price. In fact, I would argue the price itself was only $0.01 and everything above that was charity.

35. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 20, 2009, 22:09 Ruffiana

I can't believe 16,000 people paid a penny. Quality is subjective but a fucking penny? Apparently games are not worth anywhere near as much as people blow on lunch on every day. Hell going by these results a number of retards think a stick of gum is worth more than this game. People suck.

So much more insulting to the developer to pay a penny rather than just steal it.

For all purchases of around 30 cents and under, we actually saw no money, PayPal took it all, but they probably ended up losing money on most of those transactions ($0.01) as well, they’re not the bad guy.

This game was easily worth $10-$15, if you liked the demo. Indy development is never going to lead to revolutions in the mainstream games if we don't support the good ones. It takes hugely successful games to get the attention of the big publishers, who are content to churn out the next Madden/GTA/Rock Band because they're proven money makers.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2009, 22:18.

34. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 20, 2009, 19:07 Surf

i wonder if they averaged everything if simply selling the game for $X (lets just say $1) would have worked better for them overall?

Seems like a completely fair price even though I didn't like the game. Shit I would pay $1 just to help support them without attaching that to any game. I just wasn't aware of this "name your own price" thing till now. Oh well.

33. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 20, 2009, 17:45 Spike

This game was released a year ago, so yeah this is basically a fire sale which (some?) seem to be forgetting. A "huge success" is relative because they've ALREADY sold a ton of copies (at regular price) which means they can accept a penny and still be happy with it.

Not sure how someone could come to the conclusion that this proves games are overpriced. Somehow I doubt they would have initially released the game at this price.

That said it is good PR for them and I'm glad it was a success, hopefully we'll see other developers follow suit on their older games.

32. Re: Game Reviews Oct 20, 2009, 17:08 shponglefan

Did they teach you that in college?

What can I say. I'm edumacated.

31. Re: Game Reviews Oct 20, 2009, 16:55 eRe4s3r

I always get the giggles when i read that from economic students - instead of looking at reality they claim the world works with curves which is clearly wrong, just look at the CURVE rps posted

If we go by the SALE curve the optimal price was 5$ to 6$ (that region anyhow) - which netted them the highest sales and profits of all the prices (needless to say that this metric is not 100% accurate because World of Goo is pretty well known, for relatively unknown indy games that stat doesn't apply)

Dunno how much of these sales would have happened if the price had always been 6$ ... maybe its more the "sales" effect... ah well

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2009, 17:05.

30. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 20, 2009, 16:48 Prez

so to the person who insisted we are ignoring the positive side, no, everyone was a fucking cheapskate.

I was that person, and I disagree with you. If "everyone was a fucking cheapskate", where the hell did the 100,000 bucks come from? How about a little perspective here?

It's incredible to me that you are so unwilling to accept that people are inclined to pay what the game is worth to them value-wise, and would rather not be beholden to some antiquated hard-fast pricing scheme.

I have never played an indie game that I felt was worth more than 5 dollars. Ever. I have played several indie games that I felt I overpaid for at 2 or 3 bucks.

It boggles the mind to hear random posters with no financial stake in the sale decrying everyone who didn't pay what they consider enough in their own narrow view while the actual publishers are using terms like "huge success" and "extremely happy".

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: Game Reviews Oct 20, 2009, 16:23 BobBob

It doesn't indicate that in the slightest. It's simply a very logical outcome of demand curves in economics.

Did they teach you that in college?

28. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 20, 2009, 16:16 StingingVelvet

If this doesn't indicate to people that games are overpriced, I don't know what will.

People wanting everything free or insanely cheap is not rocket science. AAA games could be $10 new on average and people would still try to find them for $5.

Anyway, if you look on RPS they link to a graph which shows exactly what people paid... the VAST majority was under $5, so to the person who insisted we are ignoring the positive side, no, everyone was a fucking cheapskate.

27. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 20, 2009, 15:30 shponglefan

If this doesn't indicate to people that games are overpriced, I don't know what will.

It doesn't indicate that in the slightest. It's simply a very logical outcome of demand curves in economics.

26. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 20, 2009, 15:28 shponglefan

I agree, but there is a whole generation of gamers who refuse to pay anything. To them , all games, and their time is apparently worth nothing. *shrug*

Nah, this is just reflecting a typical demand curve. The closer the price gets to $0, vastly more people jump on board.

25. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 20, 2009, 14:52 Surf

See, piracy works sometimes. Wonder if Blue will erase my comment here, as he always does, when I advocate some piracy and how it helps the industry.

I got 3 "pirates" to buy Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising.
I bought Risen after playing the game 20 hours, almost done!
I bought Grid Defense after evaluating it.

Anyways, 3, 2, 1 (Blue) delete this post....

24. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 20, 2009, 14:32 Creston

Creston

23. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 20, 2009, 14:20 Kxmode

Bought the game for $5 during D2D's 5-year anniversary sale!  

22. Re: On the World of Goo Sale Oct 20, 2009, 14:18 Prez

The follow up to that which you didn't quote and seem to discount is it's the largest single category of sales

I did discount it because I find it irrelevant.

- Mahatma Gandhi

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo