Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

D&D Surface Demo

There's a Surfacescapes Demo Walkthrough on Vimeo showing a proof of concept developed by Carnegie Mellon University showing Dungeons & Dragons being played on one of those Microsoft surface dealies that are destroying newscasts everywhere. The clip shows how the interface works for players and game masters, and the result is fairly nerdgasmic. Thanks Slashdot.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: D&D Surface Demo Oct 20, 2009, 15:32 Kxmode

I'd hate to think what the Japanese gaming industry would do with this if they got their hands on it.

Schoolgirl molestation games aplenty!

The fact that you even thought of it...

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 2009, 15:32.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: D&D Surface Demo Oct 20, 2009, 06:40 Cutter

Very cool indeed!  

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: D&D Surface Demo Oct 19, 2009, 19:22 Hump

I'd hate to think what the Japanese gaming industry would do with this if they got their hands on it.

Schoolgirl molestation games aplenty!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

6. Re: D&D Surface Demo Oct 19, 2009, 18:57 Kxmode

Buy your very own D&D Hero for only $3,499.95!

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2009, 18:58.

5. Re: D&D Surface Demo Oct 19, 2009, 16:49 Cabezone

I think most people would just end up using it for a really expensive map display unit. It'd just be a ton of extra work to program in your adventure.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

4. Re: D&D Surface Demo Oct 19, 2009, 15:31 Veinman

I haven't played D&D in many years, but I think there's a good chance that programming all of its possibilities is impossible. It would not take long for the heroes to want to do something that wasn't accounted for.

edit- I wonder if they got the radial menu inspiration from Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil. That was a fun game.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2009, 15:31.

3. Re: D&D Surface Demo Oct 19, 2009, 15:12 Sacrifice

I think this is great for the world map and battlemap, but I would use normal dice, character sheets, and such.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2009, 15:18.

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

2. Re: D&D Surface Demo Oct 19, 2009, 15:07 Stormsinger

This whole video leaves me feeling, "Meh!"

Converting a tabletop game to use a Surface should -not- mean duplicating everything exactly as it is done when playing with pencil & paper.

The Ruse videos were much better examples of how to use a Surface.

1. Re: D&D Surface Demo Oct 19, 2009, 15:03 Grendle

Interesting concept.

I agree with one of the posters of the original site that that stated that the dice zooming onto the screen will get very old after a while.

That and the screen will get very greasy after a while from Dorito crumbs and pizza.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo