Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Machinarium & Demo Now Available

Amanita Design (Samorost and Samorost2) announce the availability of Machinarium, their first full-scale game project. There's a web-based three level playable demo of the point-and-click puzzle/adventure game on the Machinarium Website, where the game is also available for purchase via digital distribution. The Windows edition is also for sale on Direct2Drive, Impulse, and Steam, and the Mac edition is being sold on Direct2Drive.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Machinarium & Demo Now Available Oct 19, 2009, 18:17 Ray Marden

I really, realy enjoyed it, though it has its flaws.

It really should be priced in the $10-$15 range given its short legnth and lack of replay. Otherwise, the biggest negative is just Flash itself. From not having access to right-clicking to the extremely finnicky clickable areas (nothing like spending 20 minutes to figure out the only thing you did wrong was not clicking 1/8 an inch closer,) it can feel a litle clunky at times.

A few of the solutions may make you wrinkle a brow, but I would highly suggest it for any old school adventure game lover and I am definitely interested in whatever they come up with next. The game is really cute and full of charm.
Only worth the $20 for the most casual or art-loving player.
Flying away in a helicopter,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Get it from Machinarium.com Oct 19, 2009, 18:16 kylania

The little cartoon stories from each of the robots are just adorable! Definitely one of the few games where I went "aww" with almost every new screen.  

8. Re: Get it from Machinarium.com Oct 19, 2009, 17:39 Overon

I think it's lovingly crafted and visually great looking flash game. I really like it. It's got emotional impact for me.  

7. Re: Get it from Machinarium.com Oct 19, 2009, 17:09 StingingVelvet

For the same price I strongly suggest you get it from the official site. You get all 3 versions (PC, Mac and Linux) and you also get the excellent music tracks in MP3.

I have no idea how much Steam and alike are keeping but it's pretty easy to guess that you will give more money to the creators that way too!

I just can't give up the convienence of having all my indie games on Steam in one central location... buying from their sites is cumbersome as is keeping track of all those logins and codes.

I feel pretty justified in downloading that soundtrack somewhere else too.

6. Re: Machinarium & Demo Now Available Oct 19, 2009, 16:50 Cabezone

I played the demo and liked the art style quite a bit. The game itself didn't do much for me tho.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

5. Get it from Machinarium.com Oct 19, 2009, 16:31 Rhialto

For the same price I strongly suggest you get it from the official site. You get all 3 versions (PC, Mac and Linux) and you also get the excellent music tracks in MP3.

I have no idea how much Steam and alike are keeping but it's pretty easy to guess that you will give more money to the creators that way too!

4. Re: Machinarium & Demo Now Available Oct 19, 2009, 16:25 spindoctor

As it turns out, I was well past half way through. Just completed it, and the playthrough took 7.3 hours according to Steam's tracker. I must have spent a majority of that time being stuck on puzzles though, but in the end it was worth it just to experience this gem of a game.  
Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

3. Re: Machinarium & Demo Now Available Oct 19, 2009, 14:17 StingingVelvet

Everything spindoctor said is right on... the game has some flaws compared to other adventure games, but it is so lovingly put together and presented those flaws all fall away.

I got it for $15 with preordering and it was worth every penny. I think $20 is $5 too much, but still worth it for fans of the genre.

2. Re: Machinarium & Demo Now Available Oct 19, 2009, 14:13 spindoctor

The game is fabulous. I'm about half way through it and I'm loving it.

From a purely gameplay perspective, there are some weak points. There is a distinct lack of structure and flow to the game. It is often unclear what needs to be done in a particular scene. This is compounded by the fact that there are no dialogues in the game (neither text, nor voice). Which means that the player has to rely on visual clues to do everything, and those are not always apparent (at least to me) without using the inbuilt hint/walkthrough system. Sometimes the item required to solve a puzzle will only be available to you later on in the game and it requires some backtracking as well.

Having said that, these shortcomings pale into insignificance when one sees just how enchanting this game is. It is a labor of love in every sense of the word. The music is fabulous, the artwork is gorgeous, the atmosphere is brilliant. The puzzles are generally hard, but solving them is immensely satisfying. Some are random, but most are absolutely delightful. There are little touches that will bring a smile to your face every time... like how the robot starts dreaming of his girlfriend every time you leave him idle. Or how he starts dancing away when he's in a scene with music playing. Or something as simple as sliding down the railings instead of using the stairs to walk down. It's just adorable.

Indie Game of the Year as far as I'm concerned. Or close enough.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

1. Re: Machinarium & Demo Now Available Oct 19, 2009, 13:30 FLY

Steam has a demo of this. Great stuff. May have to adjust your mouse sensitivity sometimes the character doesn't respond. Well, of course it's a robot maybe that's why :/. Plan on buying the full version. Reminds me of the great point and click adventures of old on the Amiga/Commodore. Fantastic artwork and sounds.  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo